Notices

Pain

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain

Hi All,

As I try to figure me out, I thought I would share my ideas. P A I N is something that seems so tangible when felt and so esoteric when explained. I think many people drink because they experience the mental or physical construct of pain.

The allegiance of that next drink seems a bitter friendship, calling out with duplicity, indulge in and tomorrow goes away, indulge in today and we can't remember how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Somehow, someway, we experience a symptom, an uncofortability, a pain, when we don't do something. That SOMETHING is the key. I think if we can figure that out, we are that much closer to undoing the "devil's" design.

Mull that over and I am very inerested in your thoughts....

Be well and be GRATEFUL for all you are and all you do

Cheers
:-)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most people, people who are not addicted or alcoholic, will, at some time in their lives experience a mental or physical construct of pain, will not turn to the drink. So what's with that?

Undoing the devil's design? Ummm...

Jerry, I have found that figuring it all out only creates more confusion for me. Instead I focus on the solution. For me, it's spiritual.

Mark
Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jerry, I totally see that. However I am not there any more. I think Cubile said it DEAD (hee hee....) on when he mentioned finding the solution. I know if I look at what the source of my misery is that can only drag me down to despair. I refuse to live there any more.

It's being a part of the solution, whatever it is that you need to do for your "pain", rather than part of the problem. That's how it is for me.

Thanks for the great post.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went through a lot of therapy and they best we could come up with is that I had a lot of anxiety. Drinking made it worse.

I don't know why I really drank. Things are so much better now though.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool

I'm another one of those who doesn't see the need for searching out for some hidden meaniing for why I drank.....although I may find a lot of 'triggers' or 'reasons' or whatevers (excuses all in my book). I always figured, what if I worked out all those answers and I still drank..?..mebbe I missed that 'one' that really did the trick...........oh, the heck with it, I go for the solution, as the BB says....'men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol.' ..... there ya go, now let's get onto the solution.....! (o:

NoelleR
Old 11-07-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Somehow, someway, we experience a symptom, an uncofortability, a pain, when we don't do something. That SOMETHING is the key. I think if we can figure that out, we are that much closer to undoing the "devil's" design.
Ultimately this is true in my case Jerry - I had underlying issues that clearly made drinking attractive to me in the first place...but I also became an alcoholic in the process.

As I see it, I had to deal with the alcoholic part - with action (don't drink and whatever else it takes to maintain that).

Then, and only then, was my perspective true and my mind focused enough to tackle the deeper long term task of understanding what underlying factors I then had to deal with.

D