SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just for today? Maybe? Hopefully... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/187932-just-today-maybe-hopefully.html)

gingerblue 11-05-2009 03:26 PM

Just for today? Maybe? Hopefully...

Hello!

I wanted to start my own thread of recovery, to have something to check in on everyday and maybe get some sense of accomplishment and pride if I manage to tick the days off. That's my hope at least.

Hi! I'm Kim and have decided not to drink today.

:c031:

OZboy 11-05-2009 03:37 PM

..hi..i'm Kim too..:welcome

wanttolive 11-05-2009 03:46 PM

Hi! I'm Kim too! Welcome!

vegibean 11-05-2009 03:53 PM

Well I'm not Kim, I'm Caitlin and I am NOT going to drink today!! :)

Anna 11-05-2009 04:13 PM

Hi Kim,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.

mariechi 11-05-2009 04:27 PM

Hi, I'm Anne. I'll join you in that no-drink. WELCOME. Great thing about SR. We don't have to not drink alone.

NewMe11109 11-05-2009 04:29 PM

Welcome GingerBlue.

You have made a good decision. Are you also starting a program of recovery? Remember, will power alone rarely can beat the cunning and baffling alcohol.

gingerblue 11-05-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by me11109 (Post 2422985)
Welcome GingerBlue.

You have made a good decision. Are you also starting a program of recovery? Remember, will power alone rarely can beat the cunning and baffling alcohol.

I know I need to seek a program or therapy. Probably both. I agree, willpower only goes so far-then the excuses/reasons to drink sneak up on you again. For today--willpower is pretty much all I have to go on. And the lovely and supportive people of this forum..:c011:

It's a start, right?

Thank you all for your welcome. I hope to stick around and contribute, will definitely be reading. The people here are wonderful...and I find it helpful to come here and just read when I am feeling weak or just down on myself.

Oh...LOVING all the Kim's around here!!

NewMe11109 11-05-2009 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by gingerblue (Post 2423004)
I know I need to seek a program or therapy. Probably both. I agree, willpower only goes so far-then the excuses/reasons to drink sneak up on you again. For today--willpower is pretty much all I have to go on. And the lovely and supportive people of this forum..:c011:

It's a start, right?

Thank you all for your welcome. I hope to stick around and contribute, will definitely be reading. The people here are wonderful...and I find it helpful to come here and just read when I am feeling weak or just down on myself.

Oh...LOVING all the Kim's around here!!

It is a great start, yes. Be proud of yourself.

What is said a lot - and is very true - is that the alcohol was just our solution to our real problem(s). In order to work on those real problems (anger, depression, fear, anxiety, etc.), we need to be sober. But, just being sober won't help us fix those problems. That is where the program of recovery comes in.

I am on SR everyday and in an AA meeting at least once a week. I speak at local homeless shelters, 90-day rehab programs, and hospitals. I help newcomers and try to help people with their underlying problems.

Why? Not because I am such a nice guy, but rather because when I am thinking of others and helping others, I am not thinking about myself and drinking.

So, start slow. Find a recovery program. Talk to people. Write on SR. This will help you begin the process. One day at a time. You don't have to solve it all today, just focus on not drinking today.

I am really very happy now and have no intention of letting alcohol spoil that.

stg1979 11-05-2009 04:53 PM

Welcome! :You_Rock_

mirage 11-05-2009 05:47 PM

Good to meet you, gingerblue! Glad you're here! :ghug2

Ninsuna 11-05-2009 06:15 PM

I love your screen name, Gingerblue, and I think you've got the right idea. It helps me to set goals for myself every day, and in the beginning yeah, they are little goals. You put yourself out there and that's not easy. Nice to meet you. :wavey:

jahnilee59 11-06-2009 03:23 AM

Welcome, Gingerblue. I love this forum. It has become as much a part of my program as any meeting that I attend and I have been attending three of my weekly meetings for almost 20 years. Thank you Gb and all the rest, you are well found. John in Oklahoma

Dee74 11-06-2009 03:40 AM

Way to go Kim :)

D

4ever 11-06-2009 04:07 AM

Hi Kim and welcome

I'm Deana and I'm not going to drink today either!

gingerblue 11-07-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ninsuna (Post 2423104)
I love your screen name, Gingerblue, and I think you've got the right idea. It helps me to set goals for myself every day, and in the beginning yeah, they are little goals. You put yourself out there and that's not easy. Nice to meet you. :wavey:

Baby steps! I saw a quote on someone's signature: Progress, not Perfection,(or something to that effect) and I kind of latched onto that theory.