Notices

anotherDUIanotherCARWRECK

Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Sometimes too much of a good thing is bad - like drinking.

Sometimes too much of a bad thing is good - like suffering.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hey Kjell

What did the lawyer think about inpatient v. outpatient treatment?

Mark
He didn't actually say, but he did agree that doing some form of rehab/treatment before my trial would help.

He also asked me that I document all my AA meetings starting immediately.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can't offer much else in terms of the accident, because you've gotten right on target advice here.
I might mention something about your relapse though.
I'm truly baffeled as to what happened - how I could do that again. How has it come to this?
I think it is so important not to leave a relapse behind you without thinking deeply about exactly why you relapsed.
If you don't learn why you relapsed, you will simply repeat that behavior again.

"No one else knowing" suggests you might be seeing your journey of recovery as a process of external pressure on you: that it is about satisfying other people's opinions or control over you, instead of a very internal process where YOU knowing about your drinking is the most important thing.

It also sounds like you are attaching more importance to the danger of driving after you drink than to the danger of taking that first drink.

But, if you think about it, taking that first drink could have led you to any number of dangerous situations: a bad fall, a suicide attempt, alcohol poisoning. The list goes on.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow reading this and only have not drank for 8 days till last night (started again)... reminds me why I must stay sober. Thank you so much for sharing. I know it is painful. But, having had one DUI I totally understand. I wish you the best... whatever your answer might be.

Saliena
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thank you to all who responded. It's truly helpful.

I mentioned earlier in my post that looking back, I relapsed days before I even thought of taking a drink. I'm hoping I can learn from this and take action the SECOND I feel off.

I am also grateful that I didn't kill anyone or myself. As much as this sucks and is going to put some serious hardships on my ability to work, I also know that I'm lucky to have survived without more serious injuries. This will take some time, but I can get passed this. This is doable and I can only hope to be a better person each day forward.

Thanks,
Kjell
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Just going to throw in my 'inpatient rehab' vote.. as SOON as possible (like today).
DITTO!!!!! I did it and it was the best thing I did for myself. That and I know you said you're doing AA, please get a sponsor and work the steps. The one thing I would tell myself in that regard is "how can so many people claim that doing THAT work with the steps, SUCCEED in getting and staying sober and be wrong???????" If you have the tools to get and stay sober you'll have more success. Having a sponsor to call every day will keep you accountable for what you do. I have a sponsor and two years now and I call her every day. I apply the steps in my life every day.

All of that and I'm sure I don't need to tell you but if you hadn't picked up that first drink you probably wouldn't be where you are right now.

I hope this situation will be enough for you. Just reading it and what happened scared me, I hope it scared the crap out of you. Sorry.

Good luck!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My heart aches for you. I hear your terror and I relate to it, and I'll bet most of the others here do, too.

All is not lost, my friend. You've taken a positive step by posting here, a little step, but a good one. In the final analysis, sobriety is nothing more than taking hundreds and thousands of these little steps one day at a time. It really is very simple.

So- now- what is the next little step you can take today, right this minute, to build on the smart move you've made by reaching out to us here? Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the Big Picture! Think small. Think baby steps and then take one. This is the way it works, really.

Please report back to us and share with us what you're led to do next, because we really do care and we have all been there in those first few terrifying days and weeks. Take a deep breath and a small step!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Kjell on the AA front I can add little to this:
don't know exactly what you are doing in terms of AA but I can tell you what worked for me. I immediately got a Sponsor and began to call him daily. I attended at least one AA meeting per day. I made sure I was attending newcomer meetings, 12 step study meetings and Big Book study meetings as well as general meetings. My Sponsor had me engage the steps immediately. He made suggestions on what I should do to stay sober and I incorporated all his suggestions. I came early and stayed late at meetings to meet other sober people. I complete the steps and I now help others.

For me personally I needed to do all these things to stay sober. Attending meetings alone would not have kept me sober.
I too needed all of that, my sponsor had me call him & 2 other people in AA daily, even if it was to just say "Hi". Seemed pretty stupid at first, then I started to enjoy talking to these folks, especially when they thanked me for calling them!

All that calling folks on the phone saved me from a relapse after I had about 2 months sober, instead of pulling into a 7-11 and grabbing a 12 pack, I picked up the phone and called some one.

Now on to the present issue, do what ever you have to do to STAY sober!!! DO NOT do it to stay out of trouble with the law, yes going into rehab and going to AA will not hurt the outcome, but in the long term, if you continue to drink, the trouble you presently have with the law may prove to be a minor bump along the road of alcoholic insanity.

If you need inpatient rehab or IOP do it.

Do you have a sponsor? I would suggest getting one.

If you already have a sponsor are you taking the steps with him? If not I would advice you to do so, without the steps and applying them daily to my life I would either be drunk or one miserable white knuckling SOB right.

Inpatient rehab will allow you if you are like I was to get through that fog which is what I was in my first 30+ days.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Kjell on the AA front I can add little to this:

I too needed all of that, my sponsor had me call him & 2 other people in AA daily, even if it was to just say "Hi". Seemed pretty stupid at first, then I started to enjoy talking to these folks, especially when they thanked me for calling them!

I do have a sponsor (was on step 3) and I did call him everyday, but I didn't [I]talk)[I] to him.

All that calling folks on the phone saved me from a relapse after I had about 2 months sober, instead of pulling into a 7-11 and grabbing a 12 pack, I picked up the phone and called some one.

Big mistake on my part. I could have probably saved myself all of this if I had made a phone call(s).

Now on to the present issue, do what ever you have to do to STAY sober!!! DO NOT do it to stay out of trouble with the law, yes going into rehab and going to AA will not hurt the outcome, but in the long term, if you continue to drink, the trouble you presently have with the law may prove to be a minor bump along the road of alcoholic insanity.

I don't want to drink. I truly though I didn't want to drink and then Sat happened. I don't think I can ever drink again nor do I want to.

If you need inpatient rehab or IOP do it.

I do and I will.

Do you have a sponsor? I would suggest getting one.

Yes.

If you already have a sponsor are you taking the steps with him? If not I would advice you to do so, without the steps and applying them daily to my life I would either be drunk or one miserable white knuckling SOB right.

Inpatient rehab will allow you if you are like I was to get through that fog which is what I was in my first 30+ days.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Thank you and I will keep on using SR and AA. I need help - thank you.