Notices

Getting it right in my mind?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting it right in my mind?

Last week I was, for the most part, pissed off and depressed that I had decided not to drink anymore. It was not fun. Had a few good moments but not a good state of mind. Friday night I got drunk and Saturday's hangover was near the all time worst.
Sunday... I kept thinking about this process and about being mad about this. Eventually I just decided to get over it. Took about 15 minutes. Felt some freedom with this idea and kept going with it. By the afternoon I was happy and not caring that I would not be hanging with my buddies at the bar (big concern last week) and excited about all that is to come. I have lots of things that I have always wanted to do and put off.
I had a friend over for dinner, last night, and he drank wine. My wife came home and asked if I had drank (she doesn't care, just curious). I spontaneously said "No, I am done and I am fine with it, now".
I am not depressed about this anymore. I feel like I got to the other side. Man, it would be nice if this persisted...and it was over.
This forum was very much a part of all this. I found this forum 8 days ago. Seems like along time ago. And lastly... then Favre kicked butt in Lambeau.... that was fun to watch. Great game. Thanks to you all.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sandpoint,
Well done on keeping away from the drink so far. I'm desperately trying to start and have read & learnt so much on this forum in the past 3 days it's incredible. I hope you can keep it up.
p.s. I'm from Australia and don't follow NFL but shouldn't Favre just retire, he must be 145 years old by now ;-)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny... but the guys better than ever. I wish you luck with trying to get this done for yourself.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sandpoint and welcome! I felt exactly the same way when I first decided to quit but then something happened 8 days ago and I was done and not so pissed off anymore. Made it through my first weekend and my Husband did bring some beer home, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can't say what changed for you all I know is that I was finally ready to quit and tired of the life I was living. I wish you the best and keep reading. Haven't been here long, but this site has been a great help!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One major key is wanting to NOT drink more then one wants to drink, a very difficult point for many of us to reach, some of us reach it to late to just make the desision and stick to it without help, some hit that point early enough to do it with out help.

Staying stopped is far easier I have found with help, for me face to face support and working a program made all the difference in the world after I got out of detox.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had that acceptance, too. Felt really great for my 14 days...didn't drink at my Fri. party, didn't drink Sat when my bro was here drinking..and then last night out of no where, I got tanked. On a Sunday...started after 10:00. I should have gone to bed. Guess I can't have beer in the garage. Sorry...being a major buzz kill right now.

I'm so glad you're feeling so positively about your sobriety! It makes every day easier and just plain enjoyable when you're not all ticked off about it.

One thing...my husband doesn't care either...he's supportive either way. One piece of advice? Make her care. I would have much rather had him say last night, 'c'mon babe, I know you want a beer, but let's go to bed instead', instead of 'whatever you want is fine'. Just in case it sneaks up on you some day. My 2 cents.

I went to see Favre in '08, close to new year's eve, at Lambeau...brrrr...all excited we were seeing him before he retired. wth? haha
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey... it is much better that I hear what you said. That is why the question mark in the title of the post. Things change.
You're still here and that is cool. Thanks for your post and story.