Notices

How to get to first AA meeting

Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Beard82 my friend do you know what that fear is? It is the fear of the unknown.

Remember that very first day of school? Scared crapless!!! Came home at the end of the day grinning ear to ear, I was simply scared of the unknown!

Remember that very first day of High school? Scared crapless!!! I just knew the Seniors were going to kick my butt, well it turned out I was wrong, sure there were a few jerks, but over all it was just fine. I was simply scared of the unknown!

Remember that very first day of a new job? Scared crapless!!! Was I good enough, would I be able to do the job? Would they like me? In a matter of a few weeks all was well. I was simply scared of the unknown!

Remember that EVERY single person in that meeting has had thier first meeting, I can assure you that they remember that feeling of fear well.

Look walk in, grab a cup of coffee/tea, sit where ever you like! You do not even have to say a word unless you want to.

There is only one requirement to be in AA.......... a DESIRE to stop drinking. My first ever meeting I was drunk as a skunk, I was still more then welcome!

There is only one rule in AA, that is rule number 62 which states "Do not take your self to seriously!" We in AA are not a glum lot, that is not to say that there are not any miserable SOBs in AA. I was miserable my first months, not while in a meeting per say, I was hurting for a drink, I was lost without a drink, it took time for me going to meetings to learn how to live life on lifes terms sober.... slowly I did learn, thanks to the fellowship of AA and the 12 steps of AA I began to come around and learn how to live life sober and happy.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For those looking for how to get to the first AA meeting I might have the answer...
Don't go, and then look back on how far you've progressed in the last month without going.
I'm still drinking, my financee has been diagsonsed with seudoseizures (Like epilepsy) triggered by stress and anxiety (my condition amidst other things)
I'm sad, broke, depressed and just hanging in there for xmas break to try and recover. I tried to go to a few meetings but drove past and convinced myself I wasn't like "those people"
Tomorrow I will attend my first meeting (I Hope)
Beard
Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so too Beard

One thing I know about alcoholism is that nothing changes if nothing changes - that's not just one of those slogans.

good luck tomorrow mate
D
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nothing to be ashamed of going to an AA meeting whatsoever IMO. In fact quite the opposite.

I was ashamed being a drunk and continually shaming myself and family but I am proud to go to AA meetings and be sober.

Once you have been to your first meeting you will wonder what kept you so long. Sure there will be excuses you can make about why it ain't right for you but I never needed an excuse to drink. keep an open mind and remember that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. If you've got that then you will be welcomed.

All the best x
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Reading between the lines, you've wrote you expect to fail. At least, that's what I'm reading.

One thing you need to know, everyone in Aussie land doesn't drink. We have a few people on there from there that are sober. Secondly, if everyone is drinking at a social gathering, good idea for you to stay away or, stop by for a second and leave.

Your drinking is a mirror to mine. I only drank on weekends for many years. At the very last, Wed, seemed to be the day I didn't drink.

Just don't drink see how that works for you. See how long you can go with out taking a drink. Give yourself rewards every time you reach a new date of not drinking.

If, you're not able to go for long without a drink. look in your phone book for a meeting near you. Might surprise you who, you might see in a meeting. People from all walks of life are afflicted with this problem.

If, you do decide to attend AA, you walk in there and introduce yourself. There's no shame in admitting drinking is a problem. The shame comes from living in denial
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This might not be the best analogy in the world, but it describes how I feel about going to AA.

It's as if I've decided I need to take a 100 mile journey to somewhere, and I have the opportunity to use a car or not use one. It's certainly possible to complete that journey on foot or on a bicycle, but using the car makes the journey much easier, faster, and enjoyable.

Using AA is like using the car for me. It might have been possible for me to get sober "on foot", but why not use a nice car if it's available to me?

I didn't like the idea of going to AA before I finally went; I don't think anybody does. But I've found it to be a joyful and powerful place that has not only helped me get sober but enhanced my life immeasurably in the time I've been involved with them.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Mate, hope you make it to the meeting today, for me it was the last stop and the best thing I ever did.
Good luck
Old 12-19-2009, 12:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hey beard, hope you hanging in there mate.

I'm down on the mornington peninsula in Vic and have been in AA now for 3 weeks. My first meeting i was greeted with such warmth that it felt like coming home. I was able to start breathing again.

Your amongst friends here, as you will be in AA.

I wish you peace on your journey, many blessings your way.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beard82 View Post
I tried to go to a few meetings but drove past and convinced myself I wasn't like "those people"
Hmmmm... just like you convinced yourself to take a drink???

I am only pointing out the irony, as I can totally relate

Alcoholism centers in the mind. An alcoholic is highly intelligent and capable in most respects. But intermingled with all our 'brilliance' is a subtle insanity that will use every means to kill us. Before I found AA, my mind would tell me all sorts of ridiculous things in order to keep me drinking. The most common lie it would tell me was, "You arent like those people!"
Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just dug this thread up.
Went to aa FINALLY for the first time this week. 18 months on.
It wasn't scary, or horrible or bad at all. 2 really welcoming groups - wish I'd have done it when I sstarted this thread.
If you're in 2 minds, please just take an hour out of your life and go and try it.