Notices

Sober on Halloween...

Old 10-31-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Sober on Halloween...

I don't know about the rest of you but halloween used to always be a good drunk night. Esp. when it's on a weekend, as it is this year. But Im doing it sober this year.

The hubby is gone hunting as he is every halloween. My son says he is too old to trick r treat. So he has had a friend over all weekend. I have cooked, cleaned, read, did school work, vaccuumed, vaccuumed again because I found a tad bit of dog hair on the floor, did my son's extra credit math( i didn't give him the answers just did it cuz i was bored), and so on and so on just to keep myself busy. What is the worst is that I watched the neighbor across the street unload a keg today. And of course they are partying away over there. Not to mention the neighbors next door are out in their garage drinking..either one I am more then welcome to come on by. was invited to a halloween party last night..didnt go, and was invited to several today..thank goodness my son has his friend over...what parent would want their kid over at another kids house while mom was drunk? So that helps me from drinking.

I know my body, esp. my pancreas will thank me tomorrow. I had pancreatits 2 years ago that put me in the hospital for a week. The dr asked me if I was an alcoholic and I said no(yes, I lied, I know Im an alcoholic) and the doc says that he didnt think i was, i didnt look like one..um, so what does one look like? can u buy that as a costume? Anyways..so ever since then I will have pancreas problems every few months..im having problems now(what could be the downside of continuing to drink with pancreas problems? I kill my pancreas and become a diabetic that has to have daily insulin shots).And with that, I still want to go over and have just one drink..laugh laugh..we all know that it is never just one drink! It's not even for the feeling because lately I hate the way I feel when I drink...so out of control and stupid. It is just such a habit. Go pick up milk and pick up a 30 pack of beer..i pick up a 30 pack because its cheaper then getting 2 12 packs...im always about saving money! haha

I think Im going to get into Buddhism..any advice for beginners? Always been interested in it and it gives me something to read and learn besides my school books.

Sorry this is so long..my mind is racing.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Fiona

I'm no expert on Buddhism - just wanted to give you a shout out
Congrats on day 6

Stay strong

D
Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Hey Fiona,

I'm in Michigan, too. Not sure why, but Halloween is certainly a drinking day in this part of the country. It wasn't like this back on the east coast, where I grew up. But I empathize -- walking around our neighborhood tonight, everyone was carrying around drinks, and I really really wanted one.

Sounds like you might be a bit lonely -- thanks for checking in here. Have you tried reaching out to any friends tonight?

PL
Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Hi Pennylane,
Im afraid my friends are not available...some have kids and did the trick r treating thing and went to bed, some are at parties and some are spending the night with their men. So here I am.

It is amazing how much drinking seems to happen in MI. Beer tents up at churchs. All the halls with vegas night and drinking. It's crazy.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Seriously -- not sure if it's like this in the rest of the Midwest, but there sure is a ton of drinking around here. People brazenly walking down the street -- trick or treating with their kids -- with beer cans in their hands. The cops drove right by, not saying a word. I feel like I'm in an alternative universe sometimes!

Good for you for getting through sober.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another day...

haha...you arent kidding! detroit is crazy on st. pattys day...and then any event in detroit..oh my! baseball, football, monster trucks, concerts, hockey..drunk people everywhere! Stumbling around with their drinks(and kids), Drunkenly praising others who are as drunk as they are, while the cops are standing there directing traffic and just watching...but when its 9pm at night and Im running up to the movie store with my kid, sober, I get pulled over and asked if I have had anything to drink...seriously?! I was told that there is a rash of moms drinking and driving with their kids in the car around that time..w/e. All Im thinking is go on over to the tigers game and wait for those drunk fools to come strolling out, falling down drunk, with their kid in one hand and keys in the other..go pull them over. It is an alternate universe here! lol
Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i tried to hang out with the usual crowd, but not drinking left me feeling weird and bored.
i left, now im home, and honestly, feeling really lonely.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Aw ~ me too, honestly. I skipped a party to stay sober this evening, and while I'm glad I did it, I'm feeling a bit left out. Glad to hear I'm not the only one (although I am heading to bed now ...)
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I have a couple girlfriends that I can hang out with and not drink and they wont give me weird looks and pressure me...but the rest make me feel like something is seriously wrong with me when I have tried to not drink before and went out..they were like well why are you here if your not going to drink? I didn't know it was law that if you went to the bar you had to drink. Honestly I have noticed more people at the bars not drinking. Oh well...pity for those friends because they will not be graced with my presence! haha

Good for you for going home..its better then staying there and feeling uncomfortable and end up taking a drink.

All of hunting season is a lonely time for me. I can only spend so much time with my kid..he likes to bring up stories..mom, rememer when that one night you were drinking and we were sitting out by the pool..oh lord...nope..cant say that I do..which night was that? So Im trying to give him better stories to bring up..mom, remember that time we were watching that one movie in bed drinking chocolate milk? I like that story better.

U may feel lonely but ur not alone!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Well its almost too late to go to the beer store! YAY! And im in my jammies with my hair a mess so I surely wont go venture to the neighbors..course if I was already drunk I wouldnt care and I would be staggering my butt over there...not tonight...there goes their entertainment for the evening! haha I find that making fun of myself, the times that I do remember, helps me stay focused on what I need to do...so with that Im off to bed. At least in the morning I will not have to check my phone or emails for those drunken messages sent out..lmao..omg!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks girls, i didnt realize sitting it out would make me lonely,
i guess its true about the holidays, i actually got dressed up to go nowhere tonight. :/
well, at least i think i look pretty good!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go ladies, I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier, but I went to an AA dance. Made it through Halloween without a drink, so I'm with you.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Well, I spent the holiday sober. Did nothing holiday-ish, but I was sober...

I can hear the parties all around me... And my roommate just got home and she's stoned out of her mind. She's complaining (to nobody, or possibly the mirror) that she can't feel her face any more--and thinks this is very funny. I don't know who would have let her go home alone... these college types aren't real nice to each other either apparently.

Man, I'm glad I'm not in that mix.

Woulda been nice to do something, though, but there's always next year. And I'm not real big on holidays anyways.

Hang in there, y'all from Michigan... they'll all be hung over tomorrow, and know that you're not the only one living in a surreal state...

Take care,
-TB
Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Halloween isn't as big over here but there have been some crazy stories of teenagers (12 -15) dressing up and expecting not candy but bottles of booze from people!! WTF?? I know there's a drinking culture here but this is flat out wrong.
Oh well congrats on a sober halloween
Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Although I don't think Halloween is big here either, it seems to be getting more popular. I saw a lot of people dressed up last night in the Tube in London, then dunk on the train home to Cambridge, then stumbling on the streats on the way home. It seems any excuse to get dressed up and drink is welcome. I actually am astounded by the drinking culture in England. I think in some ways it makes it easier to get sober, because I see all these people stumbling around with beers and liquor bottles making complete asses out of themselves on a nightly basis. And I hear what I think must be drunken arguments outside of my window on a regular basis.

FSM willing, that will not be me again.

And oh, some of them - just wanted to run over and give them some clothes! But then I think about last year and I was drunk on wine with my husband, hiding from trick or treaters. I actually prefer this year.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Well I know Im pleased with myself to have woken up with no hang over the day after halloween! Yeah me! Had i drunk I would be holding the walls up while making my way to the kitchen for some much needed water, telling my son to make whatever he and his friend want to eat and feeling my way back to bed. Instead I made breakfast for the two. And got a nice hug and thank you from my son..that is well worth it.

TB-I woke up like at 4am looked out my window and the neighbors were still at it..I laughed to myself thinking..hahaha..ur gonna feel like hell and Im not!

I have pics on my camera of an event we go to every year..lasts all weekend, we camp there. And its a big party time. Im usually drunk the entire time..but Instead of 4 nights of drinking I did none. When I look back at the drunk pics of everyone I think oh thank god that wasnt me! beer all spilled down their shirts, cant stand up. Everyone laughing at them. The underage girl doing beer bongs until she is sitting in her chair, looking dazed and confused, leans over, throws up, and picks up another beer..oh hell no! Im good.

Congrats to everyone that made it through all the halloween parties and festivities sober! Yeah for us!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Originally Posted by Fiona630 View Post
Instead I made breakfast for the two. And got a nice hug and thank you from my son..that is well worth it.
Well done Fiona!

Yes, the kids do notice. Remember how that "thanks" felt and know that you can have many more (well, ok, let's be realistic about kids -- a few more ...).
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job Fiona! I couldn't have gotten through this weekend had I been drinking. We had 2 entire days of filled activities with our family and you know what I would have done had I been drinking? Finding a way to weasel out of them so I could drink. No wonder my son prefers a sober mommy.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good job, Fiona! (Michigan here, too!) I went to a halloween party on Friday night, and had my brother here drinkin beers with the hubby last night. Ugh. I did fine, but now the garage fridge is full of the beers I didn't drink. I don't love that. Anyway...glad you're feeling good and you kept strong. I really does feel great to feel proud of ourselves, eh?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Thanks guys and good job to you all too!

horselover, If I were drinking I too would be trying to find my way out of family things to rush home to drink or go to a party/bar.

Me...yes the kids hugs and thanks wont last for long...he is 11..sigh..and they are few and far between but they mean that much more when I get them. Im sure he appreciates a sober mom..my mom smokes weed..has since I can remember. My parents grew their own and hung it next to the catnip to dry...nice! I always hated them partying. My dad is an alcoholic and we no longer talk because he has said some mean things while drinking that I bet he doesnt even remember. Maybe one day we will mend our ways but I do not want that for my son and I.

Mirage-don't you hate all that left over alcohol? That was always an excuse to drink again the next day..why let it sit there? Someone has to drink it...wait there isnt enough for the entire night...lets go grab some more..omg..the excuses never end, do they! lol

Keep strong everyone!