Notices

So we go again...

Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So we go again...

Well, I did not make my Day 6 but I will next week. Today is the start for me and I am only more committed to this.
Yesterday I went to get a haircut to a place I had not gone to in over 20 years. This was about 3PM Friday. The kid, cutting my hair, asked me what was going on this weekend and I said, I don't know... I am trying not to drink for awhile and today is day 6. He said "Cool, today is my one year anniversary and he told me his story.
He was having siezures and in his trips to the hospitals they could never figure out why. One day he went to his doctor that is 75 years old. He told him about the siezures and they talked awhile. The doctor asked questions and asked him is there anything you do before the siezures occur. He said no, not that he could think of ( He drank every day... all day ). Eventually the doctor asked him... "Do you drink?" He said yes and told him how much he drank each day... The doctor said "hmmmm". Then he started writing a prescription on his pad. The kid thought oh great, another prescription. The doctor wrote on the prescription one thing... Don't drink, and then he signed it. The day before this visit to the doctor was the last time he drank. He just stopped. He never had another seizure. Spends tons of time with his 12 year old daughter and is loving his life. I told him it was a very cool story...
I felt inspired, for the moment... at 5PM i went to a movie to try and get past the Friday nite bar ritual... After the movie, my friends were calling and texting to come to them and I did. I gave in .... I had not told them about my new goal but this week I will. I will not go again. Not next week.
The story above about the barber is true as he told me yesterday....Now I start again.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow... it finally posted... awesome.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Wow--that is a great story. (Also good to see you figured out the posting problem.) As far as sobriety time--all any of us have is today.......yesterday is gone and no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. I just tell myself that "tomorrow" I hope I am happy with the decisions that I make "today". Although I still struggle at times, I know that drinking isn't the answer....it is no longer a solution. We do recover.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back sandpoint!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks... seems I should get my ass kicked but it doesn't work that way here, which is nice. We just get welcomed back... how easy that makes it to keep going, keep trying. This place is fantastique!
My wife runs the same way... she just says "You can do it". And I believe she is right.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

You've indentified what has happened.
What are you willing to do differently?
Welcome back to the rest of your life.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Inspirational totally!

Stay with it, Sandpoint.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't change by continuing to do the same things - pls do some thinking about that Friday night bar ritual this week Sandpoint.

D
Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And you think going to the barber was a fluke?
You just had a God shot to get your attention.
IMO