SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to forums struggling to quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/187493-new-forums-struggling-quit.html)

Arcane 10-31-2009 01:05 AM

New to forums struggling to quit

I am glad I found this site. I am so lost I don't have a lot of support. I am addicted to vicodin. This all started 2 years or so ago. My boyfriend of 9 years has been taking vicodin for atleast 5 years and for the first couple years I didnt even notice them to be a problem or even want them. I think I started taking them because they seem easier than drinking. I also take them before I go to something that may stress me out they make me feel subdued and laid back when I am normally a bit high strung. So now we both take them on a regular basis and I noticed how it has changed us. We are shut ins now and our family can't get a hold of us most the time. I really want to quit because I don't want to be controlled by this forever, and it is bad for my body, but everytime I try to quit I don't get past the first full day because the restlessness drives me crazy. It is also really hard because my boyfriend takes them too and although he wants to quit, his attitude about it is....someday... I have been reading several helpful posts on here and will be quitting tomorrow again and this time I will use some of the methods I read about to help me get through the W/D. I worry this will never go away until I take myself out of the situation all together. It's really hard being around someone that has a bottle just available whenever you want. I am at the point where I like myself much better on vicodin and off I don't feel alive. Thanks for the help. Sorry for such a long post, I just needed to say this.

Dee74 10-31-2009 01:24 AM

Hi Arcane

You'll find a lot of help and support here.

We also have a substance abuse forum - please do check that out as well...you'll find a lot of people there with similar stories to yours

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

welcome to SR :)
D

Gypsy Feet 10-31-2009 01:24 AM

Welcome=)

dan1957 10-31-2009 02:48 AM

Thanks for your share. The first law of addiction states that if you pick up, you will end up where you left off. It takes 3 days to metabolize any drug out of you system. I can not pick up. I can not handle being a practicing alchoholic. I will go through life with optimism, hope and courage. I will not pick up one day at a time. I hope that all is well with you. Best regards. Dan.

Wolfchild 10-31-2009 11:52 AM

:welcome

Missymae737 10-31-2009 11:56 AM

Welcome to SR...

Early recovery is challenging but not impossible...

Keep posting, I am glad you found us.

Faerie 10-31-2009 07:13 PM

Welcome Arcane, [love your name]

I know how hard it is to beat painkillers, I'm still in the process of weaning myself off [been successful so far though]

Best wishes with whatever method you chose.

Much love,

Faerie xx

coffeenut 10-31-2009 07:34 PM

Welcome to SR! Lots of good information here!