Notices

I know it is there...it would be so easy...

Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"I think I can. I think I can"

I know it is there...it would be so easy...

My body, no wait my mind will not let me forget what time of day it is. Happy hour...or get through the rest of the day with a couple glasses of wine time. My parents live across the street. My Mom is in the backyard with the boys. My Dad went out to the store. I am in the front yard making halloween crafts. They have wine in their house. Probably a few bottles. My dad buys it by the case. I could say I am going over to get some glue and have a glass of wine so quick. Probably two. No one would know. It is so tempting. It would be so easy. I am fighting not to go but something keeps telling me "you will never be able to do this so stop now." That voice may be right but maybe one more day...I think I can, I think I can!

Jo
Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Jo, I know you can do this. Just keep yourself busy and promise yourself "just for this hour" I won't drink, then do another hour, and another. If that's too long, then I won't drink for 1/2 hour. You can do this. Have you thought about going to an AA meeting?

Please PM me if you need to talk. I believe in you.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jo...no, that voice isn't right. I have the same voice...I think we all have at one point. Don't give that voice power. Think of how pissed off at yourself you'll be if you drink it and how proud of yourself you'll feel if you don't! You can do it...it's just wine. (I think I'm trying to convince myself, right now, too!) I have a party to go to tonight, and I'll be talking back to that voice all night. I plan on givin it a lot of crap...some serious smack talkin will be goin on. Stay strong..I'll join you in the fight!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

I second this - you can do it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there dojoro! Just keep distracting yourself like you are. You can do it! Just imagine how good you will feel in the morning when you get up knowing you didn't go across the street and drink that glass(es) of wine.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong and tell the voice it is wrong. The craving will pass and tomorrow you will be so relieved that you didn't drink. You can do this!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every morning I wake up sober I am so glad I didn't drink the day before! You CAN do this. Be strong. Slap that little devil telling you those lies.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That little voice lies Jo - it's as simple as that.
Stay strong

D
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does go away. I didn't go across the street. How can I feel so powerless for a few hours and fairly normal at other times. I have always given in I have never felt this before. That voice doesn't quit. Sometimes it seems to scream at me, other times kinda whispering in the background. For the first time ever I am actually watching the movie with my boys on movie night. Usually hide in the kitchen with my ex-friend who I thought made me feel warm and cozy inside. My 5 year old rubbing my leg, My 4 year old randomly saying I love you and rubbing his nose to my face and the best is my two year olds series of kisses for no reason and the way he mumbles "tiss, tiss, tiss" They can't get close enough to me. I don't ever do this and it is great and I will remember every moment tomorrow! Thank you!

Gotta get back to Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs!

Jo
Old 10-30-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rockstar

That little voice you hear is so full of B.S ignore it and hang out here with us
Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go! All little ones want is our time and attention. And alcohol for me just takes that away.

Enjoy your family tonight
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No one would know
oh yes YOU would know.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going to bed...Day 3 done! Thank you everyone! See you tomorrow!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

The voice lies ... the trick is to stop listening. Good for you for not drinking.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dojoro View Post
Going to bed...Day 3 done! Thank you everyone! See you tomorrow!
Congrats on day three! Keep going!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you on developing your "NO" muscle! And good for you on getting thru three days sober! You are getting better, tho it may not feel like it yet... Keep on going! You're doing great!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for your share.
The first law of addiction states that if you pick up, you will end up where you left off. Withdrawal symptoms only last for 3 minutes, and decrease in frequency as time progresses. It takes only 3 days to metabolize any drug out of you system. I can not pick up. I can not handle being a practicing alchoholic. I will go through life with optimism, hope and courage. I will not pick up one day at a time. I hope that all is well with you. Best regards. Dan.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you made Day 3..and know you'll do many more in the future! As someone on Day 15 with a sheer total love affair w/wine, I know how insidious the brain is. I admire you for not crossing that street. I've not been anywhere near wine since day 0; not sure that I could handle walking away like you did. But! Reading your post made me pause and think of my alcoholic mum. . . that years of coming home from school to find her passed out. Worrying on the way home that she'd be dead (I was 8 perhaps). And you think you'd be hiding it? Kids *know*. I finally got the courage to ask to go to boarding school (this was in the UK...my Dad arranged it all). When I grew up I realized I'd broken my mother's heart doing that, but I couldn't be at home. Just some personal and painful experience to share about having a drinking mum. Not saying you'd get to that state but perhaps give you some additional incentive to focus on your kids and being sober for them.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dojoro View Post
It does go away. I didn't go across the street. How can I feel so powerless for a few hours and fairly normal at other times.

Jo
Its called early early days... You will find as time goes by you will feel powerless for shorter and shorter intervals... your life gets better... It sounds like you already are getting a taste of the sublime nature of booze free livin'
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Congrats, Jo! You are doing great. Keep trying to enjoy that time with you kiddos. It keeps getting better ...