Notices

Advise Needed

Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 4ever

You've had some good advice here - we really must do this for ourselves.

It's a shame but true - many members here don't get the support they'd like from their loved ones - thats where SR comes in handy

Welcome!
D
Old 10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

First, welcome to SR. This is a great place to learn and focus on your own sobriety.

Originally Posted by 4ever View Post
For me there is no one day at a time. Its all or nothing.
I want to make sure that you understand what we generally mean when we say "one day at a time". I am an alcoholic and I can NEVER drink again. However, I don't have to get all stressed out about the fact that I can NEVER drink, all I have to worry about is "not drinking today".

Of course, I'll do the same thing tomorrow (e.g. focusing on not drinking for the day), but by only worrying about today, the stress doesn't become a problem for which alcohol is my solution.

So, for me, taking things "one day at a time" is not in any way incongruent with never drinking again.

We're thrilled you are here. Keep posting!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A quick update

My husband did not buy any alcohol yesterday! I was shocked...maybe he was listening to me after all. We went out to dinner. I had a tea and he had a couple of beers which was perfectly fine. Its only Saturday so the weekend is far from over, but as of this morning I'm feeling pretty good. Hopefully it will get easier as the days and months go by.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like it worked out! I'm on Day 15, and my husband drinks 5 or 6 beers a day. Never more, never less. He's an alcoholic, admits it, but no desire to stop. On this attempt of mine, he's at least not bought me wine. Last time earlier this year, when I got home from work, he told me he hid some wine in case I wanted it! Talk about sabotaging somebody's efforts. Just don't think he understood. If he's done the same this time, I'm not looking (thus far). Perhaps he believes me now? Glad your evening worked out.