Notices

Hi everyone

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I decided today to quit drinking, and am planning to go to my first AA meeting tonight if I can work up the courage. I am very scared and feeling alone right now, and you guys all seem nice. I'm an American living in England, so wonder what the experience will be like. I just can't take it anymore and I think I am seriously messing up my life with drinking - not to mention the calories! Anyhow, any advice would be well appreciated - I can't believe it has come to this, but it has.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have made a great decision. AA has helped me a lot in my recovery. If you find a poor meeting don't give up shop around a bit. If you are a heavy daily drinker see a doctor about a safe detox... coming of the bottle can be dangerous. Best of luck in this new chapter!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR cambridge, if you were not scared of going to an AA meeting you would be one of the very few who were not scared. Just keep in mind that EVERY single person in that meeting had thier first meeting as well.

If you are like me that fear is of the unknown!!! Try and get there a bit early, ask if you can help set up, you will make an instant friend!!

Just go in, grab a cup of coffee or tea (England may have both) and sit where ever you please, just keep an open mind and listen to things you can relate to. I am sure you will hear some one speak who has drank longer or more then you, but trust me, there will be every type of alcoholic you can imagine there, there will be folks who came close to drinking until the bitter end, there will be others who have quit long before things got really bad and every one in between. There will be folks who were binge drinkers and others that were daily drinkers, weekend warriors, beer, ale, cider, wine and hard liquor.

You do not have to say a thing if you do not want to, if you are called upon you can just say "I am new and just listening." You can introduce your self to the group if you like, you can say you are an alcoholic or not.

Keep in mind there are NO rules in AA.

Just step through the door, have a seat and listen, I promise you will not have to do a thing.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.

I'm not an AA person, but I am sure you will be welcomed and supported there.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nice thoughts everyone. I don't know if AA will be right for me either, but I feel as if I have no other choice but to try it - I don't think I can do this on my own.

I am somewhere in the middle I guess of the drinking spectrum, but it is getting worse and I have endangered myself more and more frequently when drunk. Not to mention picking verbal fights, making those lovely long distance drunk phone calls, etc.

I am not religious, so have been lurking around the portion of the site for athiests/agnostics.

It is just very nice to see there are other people out there.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cambridge View Post
I am not religious, so have been lurking around the portion of the site for athiests/agnostics.
Cambridge, welcome. Please do try whatever works for you. I was a devout atheist when I took AA's 12 steps. I still don't consider myself religious in the least, but I found that taking those suggested steps brought about a change in me so that drinking was no longer an issue.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Cambridge, welcome. Please do try whatever works for you. I was a devout atheist when I took AA's 12 steps. I still don't consider myself religious in the least, but I found that taking those suggested steps brought about a change in me so that drinking was no longer an issue.
Thanks Keithj - It's good to know it's possible. It is so overwhelming, I know there is a long road ahead.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR Cambridge :day6

A beautiful part of the UK
Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Cambridge! Coming to SR has helped me realize my problem and inspires me to not drink. Hope your meeting goes well for you...keep comin back!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad you're here.. Drinking was messing up my life too! It's been much better without all that mess

Welcome!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

don't worry about the long road! Just try to get through the day w/out a drink. And then tomorrow, try the same thing. But don't think about tomorrow until it gets here.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you here Welcome...

Here is a link with info on AA/UK

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers
Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cambridge. I couldn't believe it had "come to this" either. I tried for many years to control the beast, always looking for that euphoria that once came with drinking. It does feel strange at first, but everything gets better and easier as you go along. I was in a state of fear and resentment in the beginning, but it didn't stay that way.

Congratulations on seeking a new life for yourself. I don't have much AA experience, but have friends who credit the program with saving their life. In the few (court ordered) meetings I attended no one mentioned God/Jesus or anything specific about religion. Wishing you the best as you start on your journey.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks! Two hours until I drag my butt out there - it's already dark here because of the time change and it's only 5

The more stories I read on this site the more I see myself and own logic process under the influence of alcohol - it's really incredible that I could believe in my own 'special circumstances' so much.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rockstar

[QUOTE=cambridge;2411393]Thanks! Two hours until I drag my butt out there - it's already dark here because of the time change and it's only 5 :[QUOTE]

I know, its almost pitch dark here
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Welcome and keep coming back!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just got back

I just got back home from my first meeting. It was actually a problem to get there, as the meeting that I wanted to go to was at 7:30, but unbeknownst to me had been moved due to construction. Then I remembered there was another meeting in the area that started at 7, wandered around looking for it, found it, banged on the door to get noticed so they'd unlock, and finally got in. 45 minutes into the meeting. But, I made it and the people there were really friendly and welcoming and before I knew it was downstairs crying to a total stranger after the meeting with a cup of coffee.

This has been one of the harder days of my life.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found a meeting, Cambridge.
Early days can be rough - I hope tomorrow will be a little easier for you

welcome!
D