SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pulling myself together (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186996-pulling-myself-together.html)

JKaren 10-23-2009 08:53 PM

Pulling myself together

It's been 3 days since my last drink. Yay for me!

Feeling better today although the sweats and shaking is still annoying. Then there's the cravings.....

I was able to sleep a little last night with the help of Melatonin.

This morning was the first time in a long time since I've not woken with a heavy burden of shame and grabbing for my phone to see who and what I've texted during last nights party with myself which began as soon as my 3 year old was asleep and ended in the wee hours after the bottle was empty.

I'm really thankful for this site/forrum.

Right now I'm taking it 1 hour at a time. 1 day at a time is just too scarey.

Thanks,
Karen

thirtybubba 10-23-2009 08:58 PM

:hug:

Welcome to SR, JKaren.

One hour works too. Half hour works if that gets to being too long.

You can do this!

-TB

Dee74 10-23-2009 09:01 PM

Hi Jkaren,

'Grats on the 3 days :)
Like TB says - hours are fine if thats all you've got - I remember doing it myself - but it does get better :)

And you find a lot of support and encouragement here
You're not alone :)

Welcome!
D

Wolfchild 10-23-2009 09:10 PM

:welcome

sailorjohn 10-23-2009 09:16 PM

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.

firestorm090 10-23-2009 09:44 PM

Hi Karen,

Welcome to SR.

BKP 10-23-2009 10:19 PM

Congrats, you are doing the right thing for you and others.

LiveLikeGold6 10-23-2009 10:48 PM

Day 3 for me too. You can do this!

LovesToTravel 10-23-2009 10:58 PM

Keep going...the hours add up.

least 10-24-2009 04:21 AM

Welcome Karen! Three days sober is a good start to a better sober life. Take it one minute at a time if you have to, just don't drink no matter what.

Jane47 10-24-2009 07:03 AM

Welcome Karen!
Congrats on 3 days, you can do it!

JKaren 10-24-2009 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the encouragment...it really helps. Day 4 for me. Kind of grumpy and dizzy but still headed in the right direction.

Headed to a birthday party for my girlfriends 2 year old. The group of us girls are known for wine night....and have been code named the YAYA's. So though we've had a lot of fun in the past I have indicated to them that I won't be drinking with thme anymore as I have some health issues and can't seem to stop drinking to get home safely so no more for me. They are somewhat supportive. If I were to spell it out they would do what I ask but eventually quit inviting me I'm sure. Which is not such a bad idea but we live in a remote area and our kids all being the same age, play together, car pool and such.

I'm confident I will do what I need to do for myself and my family. So not worried about them bringing out wine. I'll just excuse myself early.

Okay...today is a good day. It feels good. It feels right.

Karen

Anna 10-24-2009 02:20 PM

Hi Karen,

Welcome and I am glad you're seeking support.

Congratulations on Day 4 and it sounds like you are doing well - grumpy and light-headed was the way I felt at that time too.

I think one of the reasons recovery is so hard, is because it shakes up everything in our lives. Yes, your friends might eventually stop inviting you out, and that would be disappointing, but at the same time, it could open up something new and signigicant in your life.