SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just had to share this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186875-just-had-share.html)

littlefish 10-22-2009 02:46 AM

Just had to share this

I shared this at my Monday night aa and hadn't really planned to: just popped into my head and it was rather off topic.

Monday afternoon I was making a grocery list and I looked at my handwriting and it hit me like a ton of bricks: I was actually writing. Quite nicely.

See, for the last three years before I quit drinking, I was going around telling everyone I couldn't write so well anymore because I used the keyboard so much. (Sometimes I knew it was because I had the shakes so bad in the mornings I couldn't hold a pen, much less write anything legible). But, in general, I really believed it. Oh, the depths of my delusions!

I even continued to believe it after I quit drinking.

I'll never forget one day in 2007 I had a document to sign. I couldn't sign it at 10 in the morning. Several hours and beers later I finally managed to sign it, rather badly of course.

I was always in one of four states of being: hungover, hungover and drunk, getting drunk or drunk. When I look at my handwriting from 2 years ago, it is .....:scared:

thirtybubba 10-22-2009 02:53 AM

Hmmm... I never thought of that. I hope my handwriting does get better--I'm from the last generation taught cursive, so... it wasn't great to begin with, but bad lately.

It's funny, people seem hesitant to post about achievements like this, but I can honestly say, the chance that my writing gets steadier is a far greater motivator than "it gets better" etc.

Kudos, Littlefish!

coming_clean 10-22-2009 02:55 AM

my girlfriend says my dutch handwriting looks arabic :)

Tazman53 10-22-2009 03:22 AM

Great share, I would classify that one as a gratitude share!!!

You know when I had about 1-2 months sober, this wonderful woman who had about 30 years sober and in her early 80's, at the time came up to me after a meeting one night and said "Martin you are really looking much better then you were when you first came in, keep coming back hon." then she gave me a big ole AA hug! That made all the difference in the world to me at that moment, I was really down in the dumps, I felt like hell and was sure I looked the part as well.

One of my sponsee's when he first came in claimed he could not read when I asked him if he would do one of the readings in a meeting so I asked some one else to read and that was that. Well several weeks later we were at a different meeting and some one asked him to read the promises..... reluctantly he said okay. Well I thought to myself "Well he can read, but not very well at all, I had to whisper under my breath a few words he could not read.

Well when he had about 4 months sober we were at another meeting and this time he was asked to read the traditions and he said "Sure." I am thinking to myself "Holy cow, he will never get anonymity or many other words." WOW was I wrong, he nailed it, not a stutter nor a mispronunced word..... then he looked at me & GRINNED!!!!

Yes miracles do happen int the rooms and I am so blessed to be able to observe them as they happen in others.

BTW sobriety has not helped my handwriting!!!!! LOL Heck the shakes may have been a little helpful.

yeahgr8 10-22-2009 03:31 AM

Brilliant:-)

I've noticed i get things done a lot more quickly, i.e. don't put off things...

For me you with you signing that document, not only would i have had the shakes but it would have probably been under threat to actually get me there. i.e. this is the last time we are re-arranging your appointment to sign come down or else!

I like to say i have a doctor's handwriting;-)

vegibean 10-22-2009 05:30 AM

Ugh, I hated that!! It was very embarrassing. I'm glad you're past that now too. :)

bananagrrrl 10-22-2009 06:20 AM

Congrats on your progress!

I can also relate. I also had the shakes when typing at my computer at work with people standing by my desk. It only happened when people were there watching me. I guess nerves + hangover = a wreck

What a huge relief it is to be sober.

Astro 10-22-2009 10:22 AM

Interesting you posted this. I was writing out a thank you card this morning and noticed that my handwriting has improved a little.

My signature however is still a scrawled mess :lmao

Surlyredhead 10-22-2009 10:33 AM

Awesome post, that's great!!