Notices

Another new guy

Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cnr

Another new guy

I've been lurking for a little while. I could tell a lot of the same stories I see on here. The hidden vodka bottles and the sneaking around. But after ten plus years of heavy drinking, this weekend it was time to stop. Now I'm not recommending this to anyone, but I ordered antabuse on the internet. Thursday night I took my last drink and Friday morning I took my first pill. My wife kept an eye on me over the weekend and here I am Monday morning. I just took my 4th pill and I'm ready to start the week.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family! Are you under a doctor's supervision for the antabuse? Isn't regular testing necessary when taking antabuse? Be careful with that, as any alcohol, even a little in food, can set off the horrible reaction with the antabuse.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome cnr! I'm pretty new here, too..these folks are a great bunch. I hope you keep coming back! Best of luck to you in your recovery!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cnr

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family! Are you under a doctor's supervision for the antabuse? Isn't regular testing necessary when taking antabuse? Be careful with that, as any alcohol, even a little in food, can set off the horrible reaction with the antabuse.
I'm not under a Doctors care, I should be but I'm not. I did a lot of research and I know I didn't exactly do this the right way, but for me, I had to remove the ability to drink from my life. Many doctors will not prescribe antibuse, but from all the options I could find, it was the only one I could see working for me.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome, please see a doctor if you have any medical symptoms pop up from the detox or the drugs.

Glad you're here
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cnr

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Welcome, please see a doctor if you have any medical symptoms pop up from the detox or the drugs.

Glad you're here
I will. My wife kept a close eye on me all weekend. Noon today will be 84 hours since my last drink. Hopefully the worst of detox is behind me.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome
Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cnr. I think they do liver tests when taking antabuse, please see a doc to let them know whats up.

All of the best in your recovery.

NB
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I strongly suggest that you talk to your dr. There could be a significant reason why he is not prescribing antibuse.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are here with us...
Welcome
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cnr

Welcome.

I too urge you to see a doctor for all the reasons listed above - and not forgetting self medication, whether booze or drugs, is what got most of us into this mess.

D
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome to sr......im glad your with us.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR, glad you found your way here
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cnr

I've made it to day 6. Last night was the worst for cravings. I'm glad I didn't have the option to drink. I know some disagree with my choices, but this is the longest I have made it since the early 90's
Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 6 days cnr, besides taking the antabuse what are you doing in the way of recovery. Recover is different then not drinking.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
cnr

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Congrats on the 6 days cnr, besides taking the antabuse what are you doing in the way of recovery.
Well, I've spent lots of time here. I'm still thinking about AA meetings. They don't really seem like my thing, but I have taken time to find my local ones. I'm open to other ideas.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

They don't really seem like my thing,
How many have you been to? I would be lying if I said that I looked forward to going to AA, I did not! I just knew that AA was chock full of old broken down men, sitting around drinking coffee, smoking, and whining about not being able to drink any more. I did not want that crap at all, I had also heard that AA was a bunch of religous fanatics.

What I thought and what I found in AA was as opposite as night and day. Men and women of every walk of life one could imagine, laughing, talking, smiling, most with a twinkle in thier eye and an air of serenity about them.

Yes there is a ton of coffee drinking going on and a good deal of smoking out side of the meeting, but that was the only part I was correct on, of course when I first went to AA I smoked and drank as well.

BTW I also discovered that there are no rules in AA, come early, leave late, if you wish, but doing that leaves out some of the best stuff which goes on before and after meetings.

You do not have to say a single word unless you want to. You do not have to put a buck in the basket if you don't want to.

What do you have to lose by going to some meetings?

What do you possibly have to gain by going? Perhaps a whole new way of living life one day at a time free of the obsession for alcohol with out a gun held to your head (antabuse) and living life on lifes terms.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Congratulations on your clean time. This site is a wonderful support system. I also read the "Just for Today" messages and any other recovery literature I can get my hands on. Chapters and Coles both have wonderful recovery based books that I rely on.

One Day At A Time
((Hugs))

kelly