SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Avoidance (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186706-avoidance.html)

watsonc 10-19-2009 02:46 PM

Avoidance

Day 3 here and now is the tough part; managed a weekend without, but my knee-jerk reaction is to drink after work. Have been doing that since I was 18. Am 47. Just need to vent a bit before I get in the car, pick up food and walk away from the wine aisle. Wish me luck.

pennylane2009 10-19-2009 02:49 PM

Yep, walk away from the wine aisle. Keep your eyes off the wine aisle, even.

Keep it up. You're in the hardest part now; a few more days and you'll feel better. Get some cranberry juice while you're there, and drink lots. It'll help with your liver.

smacked 10-19-2009 02:56 PM

The first few times I walked by the liquor aisle at the food store, I flipped it off.. literally. No idea if it was helpful or not, but at the time it's what I felt.

Luckily, it's illegal here to sell liquor at the grocery stores (I used think it was stupid, but now I rather enjoy it), I would literally have to go to a liquor store to be around any liquor.. except for that ONE stupid store (the one I was flippin that aisle off in). I don't go there anymore.

Anyways, welcome.

least 10-19-2009 03:07 PM

Vent all you like, just don't bring home any alcohol. Congrats on three days. That was the hardest part for me, getting thru the physical withdrawals. It DOES get better, I promise. Just don't drink, one day at a time, one hour at a time, and it will get better.:ghug3

Welcome to SR!

NewBeginning010 10-19-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by smacked (Post 2404577)
The first few times I walked by the liquor aisle at the food store, I flipped it off.. literally.

Haha Nice :c031: would have liked to seen that. Luckily we don't have booze in our regular stores here in Canada either, but I still need to walk by the wine & liquor shops.

I ended up walking by one the other day in the morning when it was opening & was saddened by the line up of alcoholics waiting in line for the store to open. You could see the sadness & desperation in their eyes & in their souls.

I like smacked what Smacked did, I have done it mentally but next time my middle finger may come out lol.

Take Care,

NB :ring

Anna 10-19-2009 04:48 PM

I found that changing my routines was very helpful in the early days.

Go to a different store, drive home a different route, do whatever you can to shake up your routines.

watsonc 10-19-2009 04:51 PM

Thanks! Made it..but WalMart does have the Bottled Water in the same aisle as beer/booze! Idiots. I got 3 big bottles of Pellegrino water, then saw a coworker as I was walking past the wine,who referred to the glass bottles and was I really hitting it tonight! For once didn't have to look sheepish as I showed off the water. (The guy has no clue I pour down vats of wine after work). Then talked to my Dad as I drove home, who was saying "oh, have a nice big glass of wine when you get home". I fessed up and said no, it'd be water, as I drink too much. He then tried to convince me to have one, not 9 glasses and have one just for him! I chuckled and thought back at how we as a family would go to counseling (not helpful) about my Mum's binge alcoholism. Umm. Something to muse over on the family front. Thanks for the support.

mirage 10-19-2009 04:54 PM

Congrats on day 3! Keep up the good work...you can so do this.

WakeUp 10-19-2009 07:02 PM

A toast...to a nice glass of Pellegrino water!
Stay strong watsonc!

NewBeginning010 10-19-2009 09:43 PM

Nice work :You_Rock_ must have felt great to pick up the bottles of Pellegrino when your coworker commented on them :scoregood that stuff rocks!

Keep it going :ring