Notices

Avoidance

Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avoidance

Day 3 here and now is the tough part; managed a weekend without, but my knee-jerk reaction is to drink after work. Have been doing that since I was 18. Am 47. Just need to vent a bit before I get in the car, pick up food and walk away from the wine aisle. Wish me luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
it's all happening

Yep, walk away from the wine aisle. Keep your eyes off the wine aisle, even.

Keep it up. You're in the hardest part now; a few more days and you'll feel better. Get some cranberry juice while you're there, and drink lots. It'll help with your liver.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

The first few times I walked by the liquor aisle at the food store, I flipped it off.. literally. No idea if it was helpful or not, but at the time it's what I felt.

Luckily, it's illegal here to sell liquor at the grocery stores (I used think it was stupid, but now I rather enjoy it), I would literally have to go to a liquor store to be around any liquor.. except for that ONE stupid store (the one I was flippin that aisle off in). I don't go there anymore.

Anyways, welcome.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Vent all you like, just don't bring home any alcohol. Congrats on three days. That was the hardest part for me, getting thru the physical withdrawals. It DOES get better, I promise. Just don't drink, one day at a time, one hour at a time, and it will get better.:ghug3

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
The first few times I walked by the liquor aisle at the food store, I flipped it off.. literally.
Haha Nice would have liked to seen that. Luckily we don't have booze in our regular stores here in Canada either, but I still need to walk by the wine & liquor shops.

I ended up walking by one the other day in the morning when it was opening & was saddened by the line up of alcoholics waiting in line for the store to open. You could see the sadness & desperation in their eyes & in their souls.

I like smacked what Smacked did, I have done it mentally but next time my middle finger may come out lol.

Take Care,

NB
Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that changing my routines was very helpful in the early days.

Go to a different store, drive home a different route, do whatever you can to shake up your routines.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! Made it..but WalMart does have the Bottled Water in the same aisle as beer/booze! Idiots. I got 3 big bottles of Pellegrino water, then saw a coworker as I was walking past the wine,who referred to the glass bottles and was I really hitting it tonight! For once didn't have to look sheepish as I showed off the water. (The guy has no clue I pour down vats of wine after work). Then talked to my Dad as I drove home, who was saying "oh, have a nice big glass of wine when you get home". I fessed up and said no, it'd be water, as I drink too much. He then tried to convince me to have one, not 9 glasses and have one just for him! I chuckled and thought back at how we as a family would go to counseling (not helpful) about my Mum's binge alcoholism. Umm. Something to muse over on the family front. Thanks for the support.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3! Keep up the good work...you can so do this.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening...

A toast...to a nice glass of Pellegrino water!
Stay strong watsonc!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice work must have felt great to pick up the bottles of Pellegrino when your coworker commented on them that stuff rocks!

Keep it going