SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This feels impossible! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186583-feels-impossible.html)

jdcooper07 10-17-2009 02:08 PM

This feels impossible!

I have 3 days off oppiots. Today is horrible. I have always been able to do anything I want too. But this addiction is rediculous. The physical withdrawls arent as bad as the mental obsession I have with this stupid drug. And the anxiety sucks too. Any way when I take xanex it takes the edge off. Is this wrong? I have had people tell me cold turkey is the only way and I have heard other. I have had months off Oxy's in the past but it was never this hard. I don't even have energy to put my freekin seat belt on. I don't fee like doing anything. Any idea how long this usually lasts?

sailorjohn 10-17-2009 02:11 PM

Welcome!!!

Hang in there, someone will be along shortly.

least 10-17-2009 02:18 PM

Be careful using xanax cause it can be addicting. You may want to post a thread in Substance Abusers forum as more people there have experience with drugs. I'm an alkie and have no experience with opiates.

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.

Dee74 10-17-2009 02:37 PM

Did you get the Xanax from a doctor, JD?

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but seeing a Dr is really the
very best way to go. Ask them these questions, if you haven't already.

D

Wolfchild 10-17-2009 04:39 PM

The mental obsession is where the disease has it's strongest hold on us. It's been known to have even driven a few of us insane! Have you considered attending N.A. meetings on a regular basis and getting the love & support you need? Conferring with your doctor is the best choice in that regard, but what plans do you have to deal with the mental, emotional, and spiritual damage the disease has caused you?

goofers 10-17-2009 05:22 PM

about the third day

I am on my 15th day and still a little bit anxiety there but totally able to handle it now. The third day I was a twisted up ball of anxiety, sweats, chills, depression, and a surreal look to my world. I made it and through the grace of God I am done with it. I think after a week it subsides alot as it did with me. Cold turkey is dangerous and should get medical advice from a dr.
I did but not till the 5th day as I got scolded. I appreciate that scolding. You can make it and victory will be yours. I beat it and am so ever overjoyed to be rid of that oxy addiction. Looking forward to a god filled life and joy. Keep up the fight and try to have patience although that is not the easiest thing to do right now. It will soon pass. The sun is shining through.
:c011:

Anna 10-17-2009 07:12 PM

Hi and Welcome!

You've gotten lots of good advice here, so I will wish you well.

Biscotti 10-17-2009 07:42 PM

Second day off the sauce, trying to talk myself out of trip to the liquor store

Dee74 10-17-2009 08:12 PM

Hi Biscotti

Sticking around SR always helped me deal with the cravings in the early days - feelings don't need to be acted upon, and they do pass....

read, and post as much as you like - start your own thread and tell us more about yourself even :)

Welcome!
D

pinpoint 10-17-2009 10:11 PM

JD- read some of my blogs. I know how these cravings can be explosively controlling. Taking xannies has helped as long as I didn't take too many. Make sure you don't abuse those with drink either. Getting off benzos can be extremely dangerous if you've been OR will be taking them for awhile. If you do have a prescription tell your doc to wean off of them as soon as possible. If you get 'em off the streets make sure you're getting Xanax and not some barbiturate or other stuff. In my mind, xanax is still a drug though-even if it isn't hillbilly heroin- so try to take as little as possible for as short a time as possible.