I need your HELP desperately - Page 4 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #61 (permalink)
Owner of a strange glitch.

Ashlee, I grew up not too far from you , and I know what it's like to think of brimstone when you think of God. Personally--and I don't hold this pro/con anyone--I had my aha moment and nowadays I believe. Not through being told, 'cause I was, and I was not a very compliant learner, until 'it' happened... And 'it' happened when I was still drinking hard, which made for a young lady now absolutely terrified of lightning...

Do what's right & the rest will follow... I wouldn't have believed my own words ten years ago, but it does get better. And I believe you're on the right path towards sobriety (not that I know anything, of course). God will come to you in His own way of getting through to you... in a way that will matter to you. I don't/ can't know what that is. In my case it came down to a street on a hill... pretty insignificant but oh so vital at that moment in time.

Take care,
-TB, impressed by your 30 days
thirtybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #62 (permalink)
Searching for Sunshine

Hi Ash...I am new to the site, and you are actually my first post, so I have nothing really to offer, except that I understand what you are saying. I have been irritated about my lack of "epiphany" for many many years. That earth moving moment when I KNOW for sure who God is, and feel comforted and held by Him.

I pick up the Bible, and am immediately confused and have no idea what I am reading. It's like another language.

I pray and feel nothing.

I listen and hear nothing.

What the heck is a "personal relationship" anyway? I barely have good ones with people I can see.

Anyway, just letting you know you are not alone in this struggle. I feel ya.

Liz
gymliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #63 (permalink)

I have the same problem as Ashleek but I got there by a different path.

I was raised Catholic with the idea of a loving god. The nuns at school said that everyone is going to heaven---hell was meant for devils not people and Jesus saved EVERYONE (including "bad" people and those who do not believe in him).

But even with such a loving and inclusive god, I still have problems believing that a good god could have made this world.

Maybe it is not the people who raised us who turned us on or off to religion. Maybe it is something inside us.
miamifella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #64 (permalink)
Life is Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleek View Post
God help me stay sober today. And then at night I pray....God thank you for keeping me sober today.
Ashlee, I have said that (not so)little prayer every day for over 15 years!!! It has an amazing power to help me through the day, and it is a great comfort to fall asleep at night to.

Cathy
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
FREAKING AWESOME!

You all are just wonderful! It is coming slowly but surely. I said my prayer this morning and felt....I dunno....something. So, I'm feeling good today! 30 days....a milestone I have worked for, now I look forward to my next chip.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #66 (permalink)
Searching for Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Another vote for you to read "The Shack"...changed my life....sorry I didn't mention it in my first post!
I suppose it could be life changing. Personally (I read it two weeks ago) it really pissed me off. Perhaps I couldn't get beyond the comparison in my mind between the tragedy and my own child...perhaps I just wasn't ready to hear the lesson. But after I finished it I threw it accross the room.
gymliz is offline   Reply With Quote