Notices

Newbie addict saying hello

Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie addict saying hello

Hi folks

I've been lurking around and reading your posts for a while now. I've been in a cycle of using and getting sober and using again. Alcohol is my drug choice. I'm back on day 1. Reading your posts has given me hope. I thought it was time to check in and make some changes. I can't do this on my own, so it was time to make contact with other people.

Your posts are an inspiration, and have helped me a lot. I hope I can do it this time.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi IWantFree

You've picked a great place - coming here was the 'tweak' I needed (or the start of it anyway) - I hope it can be the start for you too

Welcome
D
Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR IWantFree.

I thought it was time to check in and make some changes.
I and many others have found that change was the key to stayiing sober. You see many of us have found that our drinking was simply a symptom of our disease. I viewed alcohol as the solution to any problem I had in life as well as the only way to feel good and also to gain confidence in myself.

In order to stay sober I have found a solution for all of the guilt, shame, hatred, resentments, fears I used to use alcohol to deal with. The solution to doing that was change! It is/was a process, it did not happen over night, it took work, self examination, an open mind and a willingness to do what ever it takes to stay sober and to become a better person. A person that is now comfortable in my own skin.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm no newbie to trying to stop drinking, but I am fairly new to SR. It has made a huge difference to me this time with all the support I've been receiving from the other members. You've made a good choice. Stick with us.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Guys...

Thanks for the welcome. I hope this will be a start for me too. Been a bit of a white knuckle day. Trying to concentrate at work, but feeling really lost and empty. A lot of shame too, I know its not helpful, but there it is. Tomorrow will be better.

Take care everyone. It's good to know you're here.

IWF
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Welcome! There's a lot of good support on this site to help energize your changes. Sobriety is great. Glad you're with us.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and glad your here. None of us can do this alone and just be thankful your not alone! Reaching out to whoever that might be is how we can put this mess behind us. I Quit drinking everyday until I decided to stop!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think shame is a big part of addiction, but try not to let the negative feelings overwhelm you. My shame swamped me and prevented me from recovering for a long time.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi i'm a newbie too and just wanted to say Hi and that your not alone. The very best of luck to you.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lots of good support here!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the kind words. It's great to know you lot are here. Yesterday was tough, but today has been better. A really good friend in NA is taking me to meeting tonight, I'm slightly apprehensive after a previous experience with AA, but I trust my friend, and at least I'll be taking some action, which is important for me psychologically. My initial reaction that non-12 step/secular program would speak to me more, but right now, anything will do till I can make a clearer decision and explore my options.

Sorry for the ramble. It would be great to hear some of your thoughts.

Take care everyone.
IWF