SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hey- dub checking in (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186513-hey-dub-checking.html)

dedubya 10-16-2009 05:38 AM

Hey- dub checking in

hey guys-
just checking in... i have been doing so good except the last month or so- traveling with my job and they all drink and i got sucked in (although I take full responsibility for my choices). Big mistake....I am stopping for my day one again today and looking forward to the challenge. I am actually pretty excited, but I know what today and tomorrow at least will feel like. but i also know what it feels like being sober which is amazing. Planning on a long motorcycle ride, that usually helps me a lot.
best to all
dub

vegibean 10-16-2009 05:50 AM

Hey dubya! Enjoy the ride. :)

Tazman53 10-16-2009 05:53 AM

Glad you are back Dub, you know when I travel I always make sure I line up some meetings to go to. That and my not drinking is not a secret, when offered a drink I simply say "No thanks", & guess what? No one really gives a hoot if I drink or not.

Mark75 10-16-2009 06:38 AM

Welcome back dub... great to see that avatar again.

Keep coming back.

Mark

thirtybubba 10-16-2009 06:58 AM

Avatar's nice... not one for motorcycles, I tend to have 8-12 cylinders under my little tiny steel toed feet, but either way you go the road is soothing after a few hundred miles... Hope you find sobriety to be 'home' again... the way you write about it it, it sounds like you're happiest there. Heck, makes me wanna be there...

Take care,
-TB

Anna 10-16-2009 08:20 AM

Welcome back, Dub!

Astro 10-16-2009 08:22 AM

Hey dub, good to see you back. I'm a motorcycling weekend warrior, I ride when I don't have custody of my kids. How about taking your scoot for a long ride where the destination is an AA meeting? I like traveling to new places and checking out new meetings.

gravity 10-16-2009 10:05 AM

Business trips were an issue for me as well. Here is what I do: Make a plan & a backup plan.

My plans usually include fitness centre, in-room movie, shopping, phone call to my sponsor, SR (laptop).

Sometimes, I will hit up an AA meeting while on the road.

After a while, it becomes no big deal. Others can drink and deal with the morning after without me.

Lenina 10-16-2009 10:27 AM

(((((Dubs)))))

Good to see you back! I was wondering how you were getting along! I travel a lot for work too. I have plans for my down time so I don't get sucked in to the partying on the road. I've found my coworkers don't mind at all when I choose not to partake in the drinking. A friend of mine just tells people "Not drinking today, thanks. Now someone get me an iced tea!"

You hang in there and I'm glad you're getting back on track.

Love,

Lenina

Dee74 10-16-2009 01:20 PM

Welcome back Dub :)
Some great advice here, mate...

D

marty888 10-16-2009 05:09 PM

Dub, Good to hear from you. I travel a lot for business and always pre plan my time to include AA. I have recently been to meetings in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia, I also take my big book and make time for reading and meditation. Also I know I can call my sponsor if I need.
I am off to India in a few weeks and not stressed at all, as I know with the same plan I can get through it sober.

yeahgr8 10-17-2009 12:29 AM

Hey Dub

I guess if you ain't really sober, you can't take it with you when you travel?! Are you going to do some work on yourself now you are home?

Take it easy:-)