Notices

ordered

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ordered

I ordered the big book. Altough weed is my DOC, and i'm not an alcoholic, i figure that the basics of addiction are all the same.

I need to be engaged more active with my recovery in order to stop the relapsing...
I'm starting to consider going to AA meeting here, altough I don't even know if they exsist in the Netherlands

Today i'm on day 5 of not smoking weed, but i consider today my new sobriety date since I gave up sigarettes. They are somehow connected, so they both gotta go. I quit drinking about half a year ago since it was a weed smoking relaps factor. And i quit doing harddrugs like XTC, speed, coke about three years ago. About two weeks ago I ate some hallucinating truffels, but that truely was the last time...even in the trip itself I thought 'i'm getting to old for this'....i'm 25, i'm not supposed to say that in like....50 years or so lol...(non-drugs related ofcourse)...

so the overal picture looks pretty good, but I need just a little bit more effort and then i'm in the clear...

over the last two years or so i've truely come to accept i do have a addictive personality and i can/want never to do these things again...it's better that way and life truely is beautifull sober...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did a quick google - there are links for both NA and AA in the Netherlands, CC so it looks like you're ok on that score

Keep us updated
D
Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

I gave up smoking cigarettes 17 years ago. I was sure it was going to kill me. After 12 days I realized that I could do it. Biggest thing that helped is that I was told to never touch a cigarette...ever...because if you don't touch one it can't end up in your mouth. And to have a pack at home in a drawer so when you are out you won't buy any because you have some at home and by the time you get there the craving will be over. I still have that pack in my drawer after 17 years!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YAY!!!! How about a 12 Step book? Sorry, big fan of the steps. Had to throw that out there.

Congrats on moving forward coming_clean. Good for you!!!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

If you would like to check out any literature of Narcotics Anonymous...
Recovery Literature in English
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the big book is excactly the same for addicts as well as alcoholics,

every time you see the word drink, just put PUFF, see the word alcohol, just put DRUGS,
see the word alcoholic, just put USER.

i would not be without the big book, it has saved my life, (i did have a sponsor to take me through it though.

peace and fellowship to you.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

CC, ....it is good to hear of your journey and you
Here is another source for the Big Book for you if you like, until yours arrives:
Big Book Online Fourth Edition
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just to offer a different opinion, I think the Big Book is not the best one you could read. I have never gotten anything out of my multiple readings of it. It hasn't been updated since the first part of last century, and we've learned a lot about addiction since then. I would read The Heart of Addiction and The Tao of Sobriety instead.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EvilBunny View Post
I have never gotten anything out of my multiple readings of it.
Maybe not. The Big Book is not an inspirational text per se; it's an instruction manual. You get something out of it (namely, a spiritual rekindling/awakening) but doing the action steps it describes (in addition to simply reading it.)

We indeed have learned a lot about addiction over the decades since the BB was written, but what we know of spirituality is timeless. The information in the BB provides as sound a way to tap into that spiritual well today as it did 80 years ago.

I own and have read the Tao of Sobriety. The exercises it provides are useful, but it doesn't present a complete program that any alcoholic can follow from point A to B to C and come out on the other side recovered.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrisinaustin View Post
I own and have read the Tao of Sobriety. The exercises it provides are useful, but it doesn't present a complete program that any alcoholic can follow from point A to B to C and come out on the other side recovered.
I was only offering other options. Lots of people don't find the 12 steps useful or spiritual, but rather anachronistic and pointless. There are other options and all of them should be explored.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hi CC fellow pot head here. Been clean about 5 months now, it does get easier in time. I do think it must be harder in the Netherlands where it is legal. At least around here I have to go to some lengths to find herb. I think the biggest thing is just making up your mind that you are done and just keeping it top of mind. It can be easy to slip back after awhile, saying, "just a little would probably be ok". If you are at all like me, you know better than that.

There is a lot of good wisdom in the BB. Certainly can't hurt reading it. I have read it and many other recovery books and use a little bit of all of them to keep me clean. Congrats on your 5 days, keep it up. BTW, I've found posting here and getting support and encouragment from fellow SR members to be one of the biggest parts of my "program". Take care.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Hi CC fellow pot head here. Been clean about 5 months now, it does get easier in time. I do think it must be harder in the Netherlands where it is legal. At least around here I have to go to some lengths to find herb. I think the biggest thing is just making up your mind that you are done and just keeping it top of mind. It can be easy to slip back after awhile, saying, "just a little would probably be ok". If you are at all like me, you know better than that.

There is a lot of good wisdom in the BB. Certainly can't hurt reading it. I have read it and many other recovery books and use a little bit of all of them to keep me clean. Congrats on your 5 days, keep it up. BTW, I've found posting here and getting support and encouragment from fellow SR members to be one of the biggest parts of my "program". Take care.
yeah it sucks a bit that it's so easy around here to get it. I have three coffeeshops within a 10 min. bikeride. Makes it really tempting on lonely nights or when i'm stressed, it caused me to relapse i few time.

I almost had five months a while ago, but then I lost my cool and slipped. I made the @#$@#$ mistake to think I could moderate. I guess I am like you, it just doesn't work lol, after the first one I was completely hooked again. I'm truely starting to accept my addictive personality and luckely i'm a bit more experienced with recovery then almost two years ago when i stumbled upon this site. Since then I've grown and learned a lot. Taking it one day at a time, slow down a bit, finding peace and contentment u know the deal.

I'm still a bit to stubborn to go to AA I guess, it just doesn't feel right, however if I keep relapsing I will eventually go. I'm almost daily on this site but I don't always feel like posting...reading similar storys from people struggling with the same kinda problems helps enough as it is.

all the best..
Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Yea, can't tell you how many times I've done the "moderation" experiment!!! Never seems to work for me, but I keep trying!! I think I'm done with all of that, but I'd be lying if I said it still didn't enter my mind from time to time.

I'm here reading daily, post sometimes, sometimes not. I've struggled with this for so long I sometimes feel like I don't really have much to add to the discussion. But as many times as I've screwed up and came back here, everyone is always nice. So I hang in there.

I'm the same way as you with the AA thing. I've been to literally hundereds of both AA and NA meetings, but it never reallly "felt right" to me. So many people talk about the experience of "feeling at home" when they go to a meeting, but I've never really experienced that. Everyone was always really nice and willing to help, but it just never felt like the place for me. I'm kinda anti-social, so that might be part of it.

Glad you're hanging in there. I don't think I could handle it in Holland. I visited for a few days when I was in Europe and OMG it was like heaven for a pot head. I'd go out and walk, hit a coffee shop, smoke, walk some more, eat, and repeat several times!! At the time it was fun, but I just can't "go there" anymore. Best of luck. Do you do the X-box Live thing? I'm probably going to get a new membership in a couple of months. Perhaps we can get together for a game sometime. Take care.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

im not the greatest of social persons either....people mistake me often for this great open warm social guy, but simply cause I don't have social fears doesn't make me want to surround myself with people all the time...it makes me stressed lol...

As a teenager I was living in dope-heaven here in the Netherlands...there was excellent XTC (back then it was the country's number one export product hahahaha, nowadays the quality is ****** and all mixed up with speed etc.), speed, weed with THC percentages up to 20%, you name it. And it was just TOO easy to get. It took me several years to change myself and my attitude towards life in order to give up the harddrugs. I filled the void with spirituality, mainly buddhism and meditation. Alcohol was never much of a problem to me luckely, I would get very drunk every once in a while but I would always end up smoking some weed before going to bed cause being drunk just wasn't satisfying enough, never has been . I just have to deal with the fact that this is very drugged out country, it makes coming of harder, but once off, i think cause of the effort I have a better chance of staying of and conquering my disease,

So smoking weed always have been my thing...I could lock myself up for days, weeks, completely contend with being just high, playing video games and watching movies . However there is always a turning point, what goes up eventually has to come down. The contentment changed into paranoia, headaches, chest pains, irrational thoughts and fears, etc. etc . you'll know the deal...

I'd like to play some games with you...read some post of you here and there and you seem like a nice guy. It's also good to meet a fellow pothead, most people on this forum are alcoholics and that used the make me think in the beginning of coming here that I was just a wuss with my little (compared to booze) addiction. However as í wrote above, I just to love the combination of getting high and play endless hours of videogames, so it's kinda a trigger to me. During the last few months I sold my WII, PSP, Playstation 2 and my DS. My gaming days are over. I replaced them with 'old-school' games such as chess, backgammon, sudoku puzzles. Slow paced, turn based games that help me relax instead of making me stressed more such as call of duty, counterstrike, smash brothers melee etc.

Im typing way too much, but right now i'm a bit on a detox high, day eight without smoking dope and day two without smoking sigs...I'm gonna take a hot shower and hot meal to calm down a bit....feel very good tough

take care.