Notices

want a buzz today

Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

want a buzz today

I am 8 days clean and sober and am having those thoughts that creep in my mind. i am trying to talk myself into that it might be ok for me to maybe have a beer or a diet pill. this always happens to me about this time in my recovery. HELP!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After 8 days you're no longer physically craving it. At this point it is just your mind that is playing tricks on you. Do whatever you need to to not give in to that first one. I'm dealing with the same thing myself. I miss it, but I know exactly where it will take me so I'm willing to do whatever I need to to work through this.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by wanttohavefun View Post
I am 8 days clean and sober and am having those thoughts that creep in my mind. i am trying to talk myself into that it might be ok for me to maybe have a beer or a diet pill. this always happens to me about this time in my recovery. HELP!!!!
Get your butt to an A.A. meeting! that is the best advice i can give you! good luck..
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want a buzz today = breaking eight days clean
= hangover tomorrow
= starting the cycle all over again
= feeling like I'll never get better
= letting my desire to escape reality interfere with my ability to change my reality for the better.

Just some thoughts to consider. We've all been there and it just isn't worth it, for you are worth so much more. Hang in there.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

You wont wake up tomorrow thankful that you drank, I promise you that.

I hope you choose sobriety today.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would give anything to be 8 days in
DONT GIVE IT UP
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttohavefun View Post
Little confused about that boldfaced statement above.

Can you explain that to me? It reads like this thing you refer to as 'recovery' is something more akin to a woman's monthly cycle. No offense to the women here.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

l can imagine that you do.
l would not mind either.
But better not to for all the obvious reasons.
Be strong !

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

At what point in your experience has it ever really been okay to take the drink or pill?? Stay strong.:ghug3
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Little confused about that boldfaced statement above.

Can you explain that to me? It reads like this thing you refer to as 'recovery' is something more akin to a woman's monthly cycle. No offense to the women here.
LOL John... no offense taken, I had the same confusion but didn't think of the same analogy

iwant, I think you're confusing abstaining from alcohol, and recovery. They are two different things. Simply not drinking alcohol doesn't mean in any way shape or form that you are in any type of recovery.. which might be the entire roadblock for you. Maybe if you did enter some type of recovery program or got some help that would support a recovery process.. your drunk/dry/drunk/dry cycle might stop..
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I woke up with an awesome buzz this morning!!!!

I had no hangover, my head was clear, I knew exactly what I did last night and I have no fears of any phone calls or meeting up with any one I may have hurt or insulted!!!

Every morning I am thankful for that since I got sober and cleaned up my side of the street. I was higher then a kite this morning knowing that there were no warrants out for my arrest, I had not wrecked my car, pissed the bed or messed myself!

I wake up on cloud 9 knowing that my family will be gald to see me and not be mad at me!

I am walking on air because I can look any one I meet right in the eye with my shoulders square knowing that I do not owe them money or an apology or need to cross the street because they may want to kick my butt!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

*sorry just realized I called you 'iwant' from another thread.. wantto
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would take the sober road. It's gonna be a bumpy ride for awhile, then it will smooth out.

Stay strong!

Ron
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fighting To Stay Clean!

Addiction is a life long process... like firestorm said DON'T break your 8 days... or else you'll have to start over and that sucks even more. Not worth it!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wantto,

There's a lot of good advice here - I started to really recover when I realised I didn't have to give into the feelings of 'wanting' to do something...

Sobriety is always new and strange and sometimes uncomfortable - but active addiction is far worse - please remember that. Read some old posts here if you need to.

If you push through this, it gets easier next time, and the time after....

The thing is, as others have said...stopping drinking is rarely enough. White knuckling doesn't cut it for most of us.

I had to make a commitment that drinking was no longer a viable option - and stick to it.

I had to change my life and myself to do that. That's why many here choose a support programme of some kind.

Once we start moving from simple abstinence into recovery, the rewards really are well worth it.

And you're not alone - we're all here to support you.
Hang in there
D
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mergirl

Yesterday I worked outside in the rain all day and it sucked. Today, I decided to be grateful I got to do a job I loved, in a beautiful city, in the rain. I had the best day at work today! Gratitude mixed with a positive attitude has me high on life today. Stop numbing the universe and you will find your buzz sober.