Notices

I'm new and looking for alcohol withdraw help

Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omenapt View Post
You can pay cash for medications rather than having your insurance pay or even your doctors services . I have met with my DR. before and asked that it be "cash for services" basis as i did not want that particular interaction with him to go on any insurance records. The Dr. thought my fears were unfounded but obliged my wishes (It was for a possible STD scare, if you must know)
I am not worried about that anymore, I just want to get help for the withdrawals because they are pretty bad and it scares me. I am going to see my doctor tomorrow and just be honest with him. I just hope that he'll get it, but I'm sure they deal with this problem at different times.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

many of us quit without adding another substance or medication to our bodies.. just make sure it's under doctors' supervision.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Dawnmha,
You do what works best for your health. The most important thing is you are being proactive and taking the beast by the horns. There are plenty of people here willing to help you wrestle that creature to the ground. You're doing great!

Padraic
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
Dawnmha,
You do what works best for your health. The most important thing is you are being proactive and taking the beast by the horns. There are plenty of people here willing to help you wrestle that creature to the ground. You're doing great!

Padraic
Thank you. I know I need to see a doctor, I am having a very hard time physically so in order to stop this safely that's what I will do. I don't want to ever experience this again, so that is a very good incentive to quit for good, I hope to God. I have never had a hard time like this in the past, but then again I had been drinking much more often than I ever had before. I just want the detox over with.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best thing is, if you never drink again you never have to go thru withdrawal again. I hope your doctor can help you detox safely. Come here often and read and ask your questions.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Saw the Doc!

Just to let you all know and because you gave me the best advice I could have had. I saw my doctor today and he listened to my heart and was concerned about the heart palpatations I was having. I fessed up to him and told him the truth about my drinking and he prescribed Atavan for a 14 day period. I am so relieved. I knew I was having serious palpations, but drinking a little until I could see the doctor helped to subside them, that made me fully aware that the alcohol caused them.

I would not have known how serious cold turkey or alcohol withdrawal was at all if it would not have been for the people here that took the time to answer my request for help. Your stories inspire me and I know prior to reading through the info. on this website I felt very alone and I was so ashamed that I let myself get to this point.

I just want to thank all of you and I hope to continue to find support and eventually offer it here. I appreciate every person that responded.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The best thing is, if you never drink again you never have to go thru withdrawal again. I hope your doctor can help you detox safely. Come here often and read and ask your questions.
I noticed your adage about dogs. I agree - I have 5 and I adore each and every one of them, they are a HUGE incentive to change my life. And that's what I think, this is so horrible, I don't want to go through it again. I have had episodes of addiction issues off and on my whole life - when I was younger it was cocaine and I kicked it almost 17 years ago and now this. I need to pound it in my head that if you cannot do one drug you cannot do any. I am addicted to any drug.

Thanks for the support and I took the right step today.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great news D You can do this
Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dawn, I'm on day 2 here....

Today is much better than yesterday, managing to eat again today..
Yesterday, had one piece of toast....puked and heaved and sweated all day...not nice...

Like I say though , today is better than yesterday, and i know tomorrow will be better yet.

Like you, I wanted to see the Doctor yesterday, but couldn't get an appointment.

I actually was considering just having a 'couple' just to ease the pain, but I'm glad I didn't,,it would just have prolonged the nightmare.

'Weaning' just does not work for me, those 3 or 4 beers end up turning into 20 or so,,,,every single time, without fail.

You can do it Dawn... 3 days or so of feeling like you're half dead, and then you will be back on top and feeling like a million bucks again....

Remember how you feel right now.
I sure am, and hopefully that memory will help us stay sober and sane. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
Dawn, I'm on day 2 here....

Today is much better than yesterday, managing to eat again today..
Yesterday, had one piece of toast....puked and heaved and sweated all day...not nice...

Like I say though , today is better than yesterday, and i know tomorrow will be better yet.

Like you, I wanted to see the Doctor yesterday, but couldn't get an appointment.

I actually was considering just having a 'couple' just to ease the pain, but I'm glad I didn't,,it would just have prolonged the nightmare.

'Weaning' just does not work for me, those 3 or 4 beers end up turning into 20 or so,,,,every single time, without fail.

You can do it Dawn... 3 days or so of feeling like you're half dead, and then you will be back on top and feeling like a million bucks again....

Remember how you feel right now.
I sure am, and hopefully that memory will help us stay sober and sane. Good luck.
Maybe this sounds stupid, but I have never had a problem quitting drinking before and that is why I was so scared. I think we instinctively know that our bodies are in withdrawal. I did , and searched and searched and I found you guys. I just know that I cannot drink or do any sort of drugs, that is just how it is for me and thank God I found that out before it killed me. That is how I look at it like life or death. Thanks for the words.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Once my stomach settled somewhat last night finally and I was able to stomach liquids again,,I found a simple cup of ordinary tea helped settle things down...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richard54 View Post
Once my stomach settled somewhat last night finally and I was able to stomach liquids again,,I found a simple cup of ordinary tea helped settle things down...
So you are going through the process?
I hope you are ok
Richard, I really do care, let us know, ok? I think you need someone physically near you to help you. Do you have that? Please reply
Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dawnmha View Post
Maybe this sounds stupid, but I have never had a problem quitting drinking before and that is why I was so scared. I think we instinctively know that our bodies are in withdrawal. I did , and searched and searched and I found you guys. I just know that I cannot drink or do any sort of drugs, that is just how it is for me and thank God I found that out before it killed me. That is how I look at it like life or death. Thanks for the words.
And I did see a doctor Richard because I needed to.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Dawnmha, I'm on day 11 and Quit cold turkey after drinking 8 to 10 beers a night for 7 years. I surely thought I was gonna die after day 2 thru 7 and still not even close to feeling normal. Worst hell I've been thru and Glad your going to the Doc. Forget about everything else and take care of your life. It is a life and death sitiuation,trust me. Hang in there,you will be just fine,but it won't be easy.

Glad you are making a good choice!

Ron
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dawn and Richard - I'm so pleased to hear you're on the road to recovery. I quit (again) 2 weeks ago and the difference between how I felt then - retching, vomiting, shaking, sweats - and how I feel now is incredible.
With medical help, its amazing how quickly your body wants to get well again.
With the help of SR, its amazing how quickly your mind starts to heal!
Good luck to you both. This place is such a fantastic source of mutual support.
:ghug2
Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lulamay View Post
Dawn and Richard - I'm so pleased to hear you're on the road to recovery. I quit (again) 2 weeks ago and the difference between how I felt then - retching, vomiting, shaking, sweats - and how I feel now is incredible.
With medical help, its amazing how quickly your body wants to get well again.
With the help of SR, its amazing how quickly your mind starts to heal!
Good luck to you both. This place is such a fantastic source of mutual support.
:ghug2
I agree Lulamay, a doctor helping, at least in my case has made a huge difference I feel I am getting through this without physcal smptoms scaring me right bact to drining. I am on the 3rd day and so thankful.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rondfw777 View Post
Dawnmha, I'm on day 11 and Quit cold turkey after drinking 8 to 10 beers a night for 7 years. I surely thought I was gonna die after day 2 thru 7 and still not even close to feeling normal. Worst hell I've been thru and Glad your going to the Doc. Forget about everything else and take care of your life. It is a life and death sitiuation,trust me. Hang in there,you will be just fine,but it won't be easy.

Glad you are making a good choice!

Ron
Thanks Richard, I feel tons better already. I am glad I went to the doctor has eased the physical problems of the process. Now I have to get throught the brain fog, but I am sure the meds. are causing some of that. Anyway, I am grateful to sober today.