Notices

Hi, back at it!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, back at it!

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forums here quite a bit today and decided to sign up and join you as a member. I've decided to give recovery another (more serious) shot, so I hope I'll be able to learn, share and possibly vent quite a bit here.

This is not my first shot, though. Earlier this year I've been in detox. Unfortunately, the little monster in me convinced me to just have a drink on a weekend a couple of weeks after leaving detox. To bad it wasn't only one since then.

I have done this alone so far, haven't gotten any help besides the detox, so I am trying to do it differently this time around. Going for group sessions and possibly counseling as well. I have been with a doctor (don't have a regular one as I did not go to see one in the years I was drinking...). Given the fact that I don't have any physical withdrawal symptoms (although I was drinking daily, no hard stuff though...) I was told that I could do this on my own without going to the hospital again. I'd actually like to go, but they don't have any free spaces till early November I was told. So here I am. This is day one. I have not been drinking all day, I don't have any booze left, so I won't be drinking today. Tomorrow is going to be much more of a fight as I have to head out and shop for groceries and so on.

Anyway, the plan to move forward: Be good to myself, start living (more) healthy and head to a group as soon as this weekend.

Looked up which ones are on Saturday and Sunday, so I will go to one or possibly two. Additionally, I'll try to keep myself busy as my biggest problem with alcohol seems to be that I use it to pass time. Although, lately it was also used to not to worry about stuff I should have done... But I'll be working on that as well. Lot's of paperwork already done today. :-)

I am heading out for a walk in the park now. I actually had a longer post written up earlier today but I got a blank page when sending it. Hope this goes through...

Oh about me, I am 27, German living in good old Berlin and glad to be here. :-)

Edit: Okay, so posting with only one word in the topic worked. Now the format is messed up from c&p'ing. Editing this. Sorry guys. ;-) Done, and I was also able to make the thread title longer after the initial submit. Yay.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Awesome post!

Stick around here and you'll be amazed at the love, support and overall realitivity you'll get!

WELCOME! XXX, n
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. Lots of good people here. Good luck on your sobriety!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome - you are in the right place and as for reasons to drink: There was always one and if there wasn't one I made one up. Stick with us.
PS: I'm originally from Dortmund. "Willkommen"
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome already!

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Welcome - you are in the right place and as for reasons to drink: There was always one and if there wasn't one I made one up. Stick with us.
Thanks. Yeah, I guess you are right. There is always a reason and if there isn't, no problem coming up with one. ;-)

I'll be back later, time to head out for a walk.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, you will find lots of support here. Great that you are exercising it helps me alot.

take care,
julie
Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR WorkIt, I have to ask, are you German? If you are it is obvious you are quite fluent in english. BTW what did they reccommend you do after leaving detox while you were in detox?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, WorkIt
Hope to see you around some more

Keep us updated

D
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Hi and You've found a great place here, and we're glad you're joining us. The road to sobriety isn't always easy, but SO worth it. Cudos on looking for groups. They help. And the exercise too.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so glad you decided to join.

You will find lots of support here. I know it's hard, but you can do this.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alright, did not check in again yesterday after the walk. I was so tired I went to bed. It was 6 pm, but that did not stop me. Downside: I am back up now and it's 4am. Anyway, I'll see how that goes today.

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Welcome to SR WorkIt, I have to ask, are you German? If you are it is obvious you are quite fluent in english. BTW what did they reccommend you do after leaving detox while you were in detox?
Yeah I am German, Tazman. Had some English in school and spent a few years working all around Europe. Definitely helps to get better in English. :-) They recommended to go to groups or find some counseling. I never sad "I am not going to go to groups" back then, I just postponed it day by day and at some point it felt like I wouldn't need it anymore, and then...

Also thanks to all of you. Feels good to come back here and have a place to spend some time. It's really early so I am going to get me a tea, grab the newspaper and then do some early morning jogging just before the sun rises. <3

I am sure I'll be back later!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome to SR WorkIt. Use every tool that you can - SR, AA, other group meetings, telephone hotlines, whatever. Get through the weekend and read these forums. There are a lot of wonderful people who are just like you here. We have heard it all, done it all, and we're certainly not saints.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to the boards, lots of support here
Old 10-10-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feels good to come back here and have a place to spend some time. It's really early so I am going to get me a tea, grab the newspaper and then do some early morning jogging just before the sun rises.

Wow, that sounds fab. I really think exercsie helps. I haven't seen the sun rise for a very long time but I try to catch it setting over the sea whenever I can. Might make a date with myself to watch it rising somehwere beautiful next week just becasue I can. Thanks for your post.....good luck xx
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero