Notices

Outside issues - weed

Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Outside issues - weed

I am new to the program. I've got 2 months under my belt and I'm doing really good. I am employed, married, no legals issues and no financial issues. Before I quit drinking I used weed every couple weeks on weekend nights only. I have not done this for the past 2 months but would like to. I never considered this a problem and have legal access to the weed. How is this viewed in AA? I was told we don't talk about outside issues. If this became know, would my sobriety date be reset? Thank you!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

WELCOME!!!

Where I come from, it'd change your sobriety date if it's out there with smoking.

I have opinions on this but don't feel comfy sharing them here. I'll send you a PM later and divulge a bit more.

Glad you are here and that you do have those 2 months going for you!

I believe in the concept: TO THINK OWNSELF BE TRUE!

Be good to YOU today!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR god4all, glad you've joined us.

Just my two cents worth, if I smoke weed I need to restart my sobriety date. Clean and sober means clean and sober, I can't use any mind or mood-altering substances.

This is something you might want to discuss with your sponsor or homegroup.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but if I used weed, I would consider myself beginning my sobriety again.

What I think is, the weed may not be an issue for you, but it could make you more susceptible to drinking, more vulnerable. Why take a chance?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Crappola,

I meant:

To THINE ownself be true!

Sorry, got a habit of not checking on what I right! Space cadette!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't use AA in my recovery.. but I would also not consider myself clean and/or sober if I turned to another substance to 'medicate' me. Avoiding dependency on chemical alteration was kinda the entire point of my getting sober. In my addiction world that makes as much sense as giving up my vodka for a little bit of coke to ease the day.. no way man!

That's just my opinion..
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Drugs are bad, m'kay? (name that show)
Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't use AA either but my sobriety date has to do with the end of my drinking alcohol. I haven't smoked weed in many years and rarely endulged then but if I happened to be somewhere now and smoked a little I would not consider it to have any affect on my sobriety date. Now if smoking pot made me want a drink then of course it would be a problem.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi God4All
Welcome.

There's no such thing as 'smoking a little weed' to me. I gave up weed several years before alcohol, but for me, I smoked weed like I drank - full tilt.

I used it in exactly the same way - when I was tired, happy, stressed, angry, bored, being with friends, at home lonely....I used it to change my reality when my reality wasn't to my liking.

I got into recovery not to simply stop drinking..that was just a part...I want to try a live a new and better way of life...one where I live my life and don't have to run from it by being drunk...or stoned...

It makes no sense to me to simply replace my drug of choice. Thats not recovery to me.

I hope you make the right choice for you.
D
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me it is all one big package in which I'm either in or out. That includes Cigarettes for me too; if I was to smoke one fag just for the sake of it then I no-doubt would just end up taking one drink for the sake of it and be back to square one again. If I'm back in the game then I'm back in the game.

I choose to stay out of the game...
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Medicinal marijuana for real or from someone else? Sorry, but a drug is a drug is a drug. Why do you have a script for it? Is it Dranabol or whatever it's called in pill form or joints? And what symptoms is it supposed to alleviate that other methods couldn't do?
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Several people have mentioned they don't use AA. I'm wondering what method they use to maintain their sobriety? Is it just will power or some other ongoing program?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On what you WRITE!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by god4all View Post
Several people have mentioned they don't use AA. I'm wondering what method they use to maintain their sobriety? Is it just will power or some other ongoing program?

Thanks
Here's a great 'sticky' about recovery programs/methods:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

Lots of people use AA, lots don't.. There's just about as many ways to get and stay sober as there are people who want to live the sober life. The AA/12 step part of this forum has a dedicated thread here, SR is not an AA specific support site. It's pretty diverse around here!! There's also a secular forum, and a 'what is recovery' forum that might interest you. And of course, there is the Alcoholism forum as well.

Welcome!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I don't use AA in my recovery.. but I would also not consider myself clean and/or sober if I turned to another substance to 'medicate' me. Avoiding dependency on chemical alteration was kinda the entire point of my getting sober. In my addiction world that makes as much sense as giving up my vodka for a little bit of coke to ease the day.. no way man!

That's just my opinion..
i totally agree with you, substituting one "illegal" drug is very wrong, but what about medication from a dr. for some mental issues? One of my problems is OCD, and i was without it for about a month, adn i could really tell the difference, and i know i need that mediction, and some other meds, due to some other mental issues (im a mess lol) anywho, what is your opinion ithat perspective?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by god4all View Post
How is this viewed in AA? I was told we don't talk about outside issues.
Respectful and polite practice would suggest you not talk about weed at an AA meeting. It's an outside issue.

The use of weed would be considered non-sober by most people in AA.

Of the few dozen alcoholics I personally know who have tried smoking a little pot whilst not drinking, NONE of them maintained abstinence from alcohol. I've seen some epic crash and burns with this.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by crzylilmndfreak View Post
i totally agree with you, substituting one "illegal" drug is very wrong, but what about medication from a dr. for some mental issues? One of my problems is OCD, and i was without it for about a month, adn i could really tell the difference, and i know i need that mediction, and some other meds, due to some other mental issues (im a mess lol) anywho, what is your opinion ithat perspective?
not to hijack, but if I were prescribed medication, and taking it as prescribed.. no issue. Personally, I am very selective about what I'm willing to take, I have found that I can tolerate a lot more pain, anxiety, and a bit of instability than I thought I could... that's totally between you and your doc tho, IMO.

God4all, are you gonna check back in or...?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Respectful and polite practice would suggest you not talk about weed at an AA meeting. It's an outside issue.

The use of weed would be considered non-sober by most people in AA.

Of the few dozen alcoholics I personally know who have tried smoking a little pot whilst not drinking, NONE of them maintained abstinence from alcohol. I've seen some epic crash and burns with this.
In my experience, there are very few alcoholics in AA who are pure alcies who haven't had problems with other drugs. To me, Alcoholism = Alcohol + all other drugs. If you go to meetings where it is discouraged to even mention pot or other drugs, you go to stuck up meetings, and need to try some others. The point of AA is to get well. Not to get well whilst omitting any references to drug use.
I would be wary of the tendency to substitute one drug for another. Get honest about what voice it is in your head that tells you smoking pot is a good idea. Is it the healthy self? Or the self that wants to get f'd up?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Drugs are bad, m'kay? (name that show)

Southpark
Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i'm addicted to weed...i became throughout the years really really dependement on it. In my country they give it to cancerpatients to ease the pain...I use it to numb emotions...

Anyways...being sober is about being sober...using drugs is not about being sober...