SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just an update (kinda down) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/186026-just-update-kinda-down.html)

searching 10-08-2009 09:36 AM

Just an update (kinda down)

Well after 2 great weeks with the family and a very positive outlook things are starting to get a little dark. The weather has been rainy all week, and its not helping. If you know my story had a terrible relapse over Labor Day and blew what saved up cash I had from selling my vehicle to pay for a bankruptcy. things since then had been very positive, I havent had a drink since then but my positive side is starting to fall. Im not wanting a drink or anything, doesnt even sound good at all. Its just that my small business is not doing well at all, I had been positive thinking either it would pick up or I would get a job to get back the money I lost. Well neither is happening. I am from a smallish town of around 15,000 and there just are no jobs. Ive done and looked everywhere, sent out resumes, joined the local workforce one job search. Hell I even always thought well at least there is always temp factory work, lots of those around here but got shot down because I didnt have the factory exp. I mean damn, they hire the local meth heads cause they have prior exp but not me. I have a college degree, 20 yrs of work exp, and all they were asking for was a GED and 6 months exp and they wouldnt give me a shot. It's just all very frustraiting and Im down, I thought I would have made the money I lost back by now but can't so on days like this I still beat myself up for it. Sorry so long just had to vent some and tell someone how bummed I am...

nickishine 10-08-2009 09:49 AM

:c004: How utterly frustrating that can be when the "users" get those jobs and here we are stuggling for one with college experience!

I feel ya! Success IS failure turned inside out.... and YOU are on the right track! Prayers going out to you today! Glad you are here and posted! :)

thirtybubba 10-08-2009 09:54 AM

Hi there. I feel for you, going through all that.

Can't help you with much there, I've never been in your position mostly, except you say you can't find factory jobs--and since going to college, I've been told repeatedly to get an office job. And shot down for similar reasons to what you say. Actually cussed out by one temp agency, "what the * do you think you're doing applying with no experience."

This much I know: if you're applying to a factory job, don't mention college, or any job commonly known to require a college degree. It should not be on your resume, your app, or out of your lips. The supervisors don't want anyone smarter than them on the floor... even though half those 'meth-heads' are smarter than them too... Just leave all of that blank (yeah, it seems counterintuitive, but they're looking for bodies who'll show up--those methheads are likely to show up, they need the cash), and get a couple (forewarned) friends to say you're a good person on personal cells. If you're a woman, explain away the lack of experience by being married to a man who used to could provide, and the economy etc etc. If you're a man, well, I got nothing for that. Sorry.

Best of luck whatever you find,
-TB

Dee74 10-08-2009 02:56 PM

Hi Searching

I'm sorry it's been so hard to get back on top - but I think it's tough for everyone right now. The important thing is you keep looking forward.

You did what you did, but you're trying to make it right - I don't think anyone can do more than that :)

I wish you luck with the employment search - I hope your existing business picks up too...and congratulations on your sober time :)

D

searching 10-08-2009 04:17 PM

Oh cruel fate how you mock me..... after posting this I got an email from the top car manufacturing plant in the area.. my resume was selected to continue to the second round and spend half a day at the plant to see how I did. I was so excited, finally a chance, great money, one of the few car manufactures thats actually doing well. Things were looking up, I went to the store to get some crusty bread to eat with the potato soup I had made for the family. My mom works in the bakery at the same store, I told her the great news, she was excited for me. When I get home I check my email again and they had sent me another email. What could this be for? Well it was an apology, all people that recieved the previous email please disregard it as it was sent out due to a computer error. You have not been selected but if you are we will contact you by phone. Once again sorry and thanks for understand.... understanding my ass, life can just be cruel sometimes... :0(

nickishine 10-08-2009 04:23 PM

There WILL be a rainbow!

searching 10-08-2009 05:20 PM

It's been raining here all week, was a double rainbow yesterday, doesnt seem to have done me any good...
Call it Nature, Fate, Fortune; all these are names of the one and selfsame God. Only problem is sometimes God/Fate has ****** since of humor...

nickishine 10-08-2009 05:25 PM

:c029:

Notably taken!

There is a gift to receive and be given to us all at anytime and anywhere!

Anna 10-08-2009 05:34 PM

Job hunting can be so difficult, but all you can do is to keep on trying.

Have you considered looking outside of your town, or maybe moving to a place where there are more opportunities? I wish you well!

mariechi 10-08-2009 05:46 PM

Dearest Searching,

Read your signature line and read your post. Read your post and then read your signature. What are you grateful for? Your mom? The potato soup? SR?

I don't want to minimize what's happening with you now. I'm praying things turn around real quick.

vegibean 10-08-2009 06:21 PM

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!! I know it's hard, but just when you think there's no hope, you will surely be surprised. Don't give up, something will happen, just keep the faith. It's got to better. :ghug3

searching 10-09-2009 08:41 AM

thanks all for the comments, still raining here today, has been all week, still down, not sure how to turn it around...

nickishine 10-09-2009 08:46 AM

:ghug3 For you today! :)

firestorm090 10-09-2009 08:50 AM

Searching,

The hardest part of looking for a job is looking for a job. It's never easy, it puts us in a positon of need, and wanting to impress others, put our best foot forward when our legs are shaking like crazy, but you can do this. If there aren't alot of "good" jobs in your area, why not begin to think of what you would enjoy doing out of the jobs that are available. Think of it more as an adventure, not a financial challenge to get the best job you can for the money, but instead look for something that sounds interesting and doable. You may be surprised at the difference it makes, because we are more at ease applying for something we are interested in, not just something that's available.

Tazman53 10-09-2009 08:56 AM

Well you do know one thing that will make it worse!

You know I do not know if you have a temp agency where you are at, but a lot of companies hire temps and then if you work out for them they bring you on full time. Another suggestion is to start floating your resume at place that are not hiring.

searching 10-09-2009 09:43 AM

Well yes there are temp angencies around here but the one that is hiring is also the one that turned me down do to lack of factory experience. Ive even looked for low paying jobs that just interest me, there really just isnt much out there. However a job did just come up at a local cable company that a good friends works at, he is actually a boss but wouldnt be my boss. Going to ask if he can put in a good word for me. Fingers crossed...