SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   HI I am new to recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/185918-hi-i-am-new-recovery.html)

goofers 10-06-2009 06:06 PM

HI I am new to recovery

I'm nicknamed goofers. I have read so many of the experiences of so many addicted to oxycodone and other drugs and the withdrawal they suffer through. Being a grandpa and retired salesman I thought it would never happen to me. I am a war vet with bad back and started going to Va hospital for help and at a point 2 years ago they started me on low dose of oxycodone with the promise of no addiction. Yeah sure.....the amounts increased to 10mg 3 times daily and while that is a small amount compared to some of the stories I read it still addicted me. I am now on day 5 of the withdrawal cold turkey, and the va is now helping me get off it by helping with the anxiety which is the worse part of it. The chills the being warm the diaherhea is about past. It is a devil drug for sure. I got through the first 5 days because of the help some of you posted and the courage you showed.
I'm proud to be a part and let you know grandpa's in their near 70's have problems too. I want so bad to be sober and I will get there despite the back pain. God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.

Surlyredhead 10-06-2009 06:31 PM

Hi and welcome Goofers!! I am glad you are here, we are never to young or to old to get into recovery. We are almost neighbors, I am in Warren! I look forward to reading your posts..:hug:

Cathy

mariechi 10-06-2009 06:33 PM

You show 'em how it's done, Grandpa! :You_Rock_

It's good to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing you around some more Hope you feel much better real soon.

Anna 10-06-2009 06:45 PM

That's a great post!

Welcome, and I am glad you're getting through this.

ANGELINA243 10-06-2009 06:47 PM

Welcome! Glad you are here. :)

LivingLifeMYWAY 10-06-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by goofers (Post 2391373)
I'm nicknamed goofers. I have read so many of the experiences of so many addicted to oxycodone and other drugs and the withdrawal they suffer through. Being a grandpa and retired salesman I thought it would never happen to me. I am a war vet with bad back and started going to Va hospital for help and at a point 2 years ago they started me on low dose of oxycodone with the promise of no addiction. Yeah sure.....the amounts increased to 10mg 3 times daily and while that is a small amount compared to some of the stories I read it still addicted me. I am now on day 5 of the withdrawal cold turkey, and the va is now helping me get off it by helping with the anxiety which is the worse part of it. The chills the being warm the diaherhea is about past. It is a devil drug for sure. I got through the first 5 days because of the help some of you posted and the courage you showed.
I'm proud to be a part and let you know grandpa's in their near 70's have problems too. I want so bad to be sober and I will get there despite the back pain. God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.

Yes it is gramps, and it doesn't care if you're young, old, smart, rich, poor! The fact you're reaching out is a good first step. Praying for ya!

Hevyn 10-06-2009 06:53 PM

Welcome to the family goofers - you can be the Grandpa.;) Thankfully, you realized what was happening to you & had the courage to take steps to stop it. Hoping to hear alot more about your journey.

ashleek 10-06-2009 07:05 PM

Welcome grandpa!! I am glad that you came here and I am glad we have been an inspiration to you. I couldn't do it on my own I had to go to detox so good for you with sticking with it! Keep coming back we really are a family here.

goofers 10-06-2009 10:39 PM

Wow didn't realize had so many out there reading. Just woke up with the sweats and got on the internet. Going to go back to bed and try to sleep. thank you for replys

Dee74 10-06-2009 10:51 PM

Welcome to SR Goofers :)
Great post - hope to see you around some more

D

Wolfchild 10-07-2009 04:04 AM

:welcome

nickishine 10-07-2009 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by goofers (Post 2391373)
God is their for me and now I need to be there for him. At least I will be sober and aware of his love. Thank you all, and thank you God for the love and help.

Welcome Goofers! I love the above quote you wrote!!!!! I'm with you on that 100%!!! :c031: Have a GOOD day today!

xxxx,
Nicki :a122:

Ghostlight 10-07-2009 08:23 AM

Thanks for serving our country, Goofers.
I'm glad you're getting help with your withdrawal. And thanks for your post, and welcome!

Tazman53 10-07-2009 09:29 AM

Goofers your post brought back a memory from a couple of years ago. We had a gentleman who we thought was totally wheelchair ridden that had been coming to this one AA meeting I go to for about 4-5 months, this man was 84, well they were passing out chips and when they reached 6 months he forced his way upright fromn his wheelchair...... the entire room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop, slowly he made his way to the podium for his 6 month chip and asked for his 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5month chips as well, he had been physically incapable of getting up prior to that day, but due to being sober for 6 months he had found the strength and the will to do so.

It is never to late!!!! NEVER!!!!!!

Goofers you have my prayer for you and my support, I am the grandfather of 8 myself, but a few years younger then you, I am 55.

God speed my friend!

vegibean 10-07-2009 12:45 PM

goofers, good for you! You've got the right attitude for sure. Thanks for sharing as well.

This place is great for support, I love it here!! Welcome to SR!! :)

goofers 10-07-2009 06:32 PM

So happens 14 kids by 2 marriages, 14 grandkids, 4 great grandkids. I go but by the grace of God. I am on the 6th day and doing much better now. Thank you for that story of the 84 year old gentleman. In spiring

coming_clean 10-08-2009 01:16 AM

heya goofers...

Your post gave me strength!

Tazman53 10-08-2009 03:36 AM

Goofers I have 6 kids, by 2 marriages, I raised all 6. My 2 youngest are the twins, they are 17 so I probably got some more grand kids coming in the future!

Grand kids are awesome aren't they goofers!!!! Spoil the heck out of them and then send them home!!!!! LOL

goofers 10-08-2009 02:45 PM

This is day 7 and the anxiety crept back and is driving me insane. Any info on about when the anxiety subsides? I have the pastor of my church and a elder coming over sat to pray with me and you can bet I will be in church sunday. God has gotten my attention for sure. Any of you call who ever you could and talk their heads off during the w/d? I think this is the last surge and I will finally get some relief from the oxy.
Thank you everyone for your support ...I need it. Now I know why so many fail in the first week.......know this I will not fail because God is carrying me.

Dee74 10-08-2009 03:04 PM

Hi Goofers

I think anxiety is pretty common to all of us no matter what drug we've used...it helped me think of it as a normal reaction to body and mind healing, rather than something being wrong.

It gets better - but pls see your Dr if it gets debilitating or you're at all worried :)

D