Notices

How to cope

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i thought the cussing part was funny too, but when i first walked in I thought it was a cult or something. I know the people are serious as life or death about it so I wasn't going to mock it in any way I just didn't want a guy with a tie on clean cut talk about how he used to party. I had people around me that were young and just wanted to get better. When they came out and told me how ***** **** **** their life up I was like "yeah!" I need to get the big book too I am going to try to hit another tonight. It's litterally like down the street. I am not worried like I used to be in the upcoming weekend.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

keep it up mccribb,,great news.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

WOW!!!!! Mcribb I would be lying if I said I was not a bit worried about your first meeting...... sadly it does happen, but not very often, most but not all AA groups make every effort to reach out to the newcomers.

I thought it was going to be really clean but once they started cussing it relaxed me.
Man that just cracked me up!!!!! I have heard the "F" BOMB dropped on more then one occasion by some folks I would never imagine using it, the odd thing is I have NEVER heard it used in an angry manner, but simply to get a POINT across!

I do not cuss like I used to, I try not to cuss in meetings, I really do not think I have dropped the "F" BOMB........................... YET!!!! Who knows I may one day find that the only way to get what I am trying to express across will be to drop it! LOL

Mcribb just keep an open mind, be brutally honest with your self, start workiing on a network by getting phone numbers of other men in the fellowship and CALL THEM!!!! That is the hard part, I really though I would be bothering guys when the newcomer called them, instead I found them thanking me for calling them, a few times I called and was told that they needed some one to call them at that time.

I love it when folks in the fellowship call me, I always try to remember to thank them for calling because they help me stay sober just as much as I could ever dream of helping them stay sober.

Another thing to be thinking about is looking for a temporary sponsor, just watch and listen to the men you see who seem to really have thier act together and have what you would like to have.

Okay I am rambling now, perhaps I should just shutup and see what you would like to know or say.

BTW did you discover face to face that you are not alone?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

my mind is racing really fast today. When I woke up I felt good, but then I reminded myself that it is only tuesday, let's feel how it goes on the weekends. Afterall I don't start craving until wednesday or thursday. Then I reminded myself that this is alittle bit different because I am trying to quit. Then of course I just reminded myself, lets get through today.
At the meeting it was nice to see the people who have the same problems as me and wanted to get better. When I do gather phone numbers it will be alot better than calling my family or friends, they know what kind of crap people that struggle with grow through. It's starting to seep in alittle clearier, the YETS.
I have yet to loose my job, family, health. Before the thought was too horrible for me to think of with a straight face.
Like if I was 16 and smoked and someone showed me a black lung or a trachia tube. Too horrible to have it happen to me.
I was surprised to see a kid in there that went to a football game got wasted ran up a credit card bill. I doubt he makes it very far being so young and wearing a frat t-shirt but it atleast takes balls to go in there, and who knows maybe he will let it seep in.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Mcribb times like this are where calling some one or posting here on SR help, prayer helps, in the Big Book it says that one day all that will stand between us and a drink will be God aka our HP. I have found that the closer I draw to my HP the better I do, the further away the harder things are.

When I was drinking I had my back turned to him, but he never turned his back on me. Darn hard for him to help me when I simply ignored him.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Somethings I am learnin after some days sober. When I went sober a couple years ago I expected my life to be so much better, but it still wasn't great, it was just life. I was expecting too much and not focusing on saving my body and life, and dealing with the negatives and sacrifice that would take. I am focusing having beers with the guys who going to numb mode when something costs alot of money or something bad happens, I am sacrificing that satisfaction of drinking for long term how to cope. It's hard to get things through my think skull. One day at a time wasn't getting through for me. So now it is down to ONE HOUR AT A TIME, or ONE THING AT A TIME. I had a friend invite me for fishing back at my home city. It is an hour away. I planned it forever I was looking forward to it and just getting anxious and it is hard to deal with life when you are looking forward to stuff so bad. I just had to focus on what I was doing now and not let the hours and days until the fishing trip stress me out. Make sure you reward yourself. Often I would blow off sobriety and really thanking myself as a good job because It was easy that day. Make a list, tell yourself in the mirror, what you did that day. Even if it was "I am still alive" give yourself credit.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Business, alcohol, negatives. Where all apart of my life. I am trying to deal with the negative feed back the best I can. Somethings at my work haven't been going so well since I have been sober, if I feel myself craving a drink I might walk or go outside and my boss has already talked to me about it. I told him I am get fed up and I need a break, but he just explained that this is my job and economy isn't strong. Hinting at if I can't handle it someone else can.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I learned that some alcoholics take things way too hard just as an excuse to drink. My home college team that I graduated from got their azzes beat last week, my girlfriend was stressing me out saying she was pregnant (she isn't), my brakes for my car ...well I got ripped off. Ok all that and I should have told my self, so what Sh*t happens, but I sucked down whiskey and beer for two days at a friends house. got sloppy drunk, yelled at my girlfriend for nothing and fell down the steps later that day. That is why I am here today. It's embarrassed I can't handle lifes problems without drinking or atleast telling myself that drinking is in my future. I have monday tuesday wednesday, thursday (which included going to a bar) and 2 hours of my day on friday sober. When I hang out with people drinking, i just need to leave if it is boring. That is freedom and possibilies that wasn't there before
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Being tired or feeling like poop is apart of life. When I went sober last time I thought "well this is stupid, if I knew I was going to be tired or feel lazy and crappy, i could just be drunk and feel good" ups and downs are apart of life the important thing is to not to drink. That is why you stopped and did all the stuff in the firs tplace
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I think it is important to not give a crap what people think exept for your close family (who is positive) and a close friend. I had a wedding to go too a couple weeks ago and I was tired, run down, just beaten up, I hate people and crowds anyways. Anyways to take care of myself and get back to work I didn't go. I got some negative emails from people I don't talk to on a regular basis. People just talk crap at me, luckily I am getting old and I really don't care. The point is if you have an event to go to and you don't think you can stay sober or you think it is going to stress you out to drink. Screw'em take care of yourself, it's your life.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

so hows it going mcribb?