SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 13 and stuck with the flu (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/185635-day-13-stuck-flu.html)

Kez 10-02-2009 06:26 PM

Day 13 and stuck with the flu

Hi guys just thought id check in,, i havnt been on much in the last week, coz ive been so flat out with uni i didnt have time to do much else, but thank god that is over and now i can fall into a heap...

but now I am so sick with the flu,its the worst ive ever had i feel like im dying.
and Dee you mentioned in another post that when we give up alcohol we are sort of run down, why is that? youd think wed be healthier... you know and that one thing i cannot understand is how people can drink and smoke dope and ciggies and they never get sick..... this is my husband, he eats crap, drinks, smokes both and never ever gets sick i mean he doesnt catch nothing from my son and I i dont get it... and here i am trying to do the best i can and im bloody sick all the time... mmm doesnt make sense to me any way sorry for rambling, its nice just to be able to relax with out thinking about uni....

as far as my drinking goes well i dont really feel like one, but im not sure if being flat out and being sick has anything to do with it,,, so am a bit fearful of next week because ill have more time to think about it.......

but i know i have to stay strong and focus and keep talking to you guys.......

WantToHeal 10-02-2009 06:34 PM

Hi Kez, sorry you're feeling badly. The body needs time to heal itself after a prolonged period of alcohol abuse. Maybe it will help to look at this as a low point. As you rebound from the flu and recover from alcohol abuse, things don't have many other places to go but up, right?

As long as you're laid up, is there anything you can do, read, journal, watch, etc. that can assist you in your recovery? Something to think about...

Be well!

Anna 10-02-2009 06:37 PM

I hope you feel better, Kez!

Kez 10-02-2009 06:40 PM

thankyou Anna, and yes Wanttoheal i hope they do go up because i dont want to come out of this flu feeling any lower,, and i guess im here in bed just chatting to guys to get me occupied...

Anna 10-02-2009 06:47 PM

You know, I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. And, I don't think you will come through this flu feeling lower, I think you feel strong and renewed. Your body is telling you to slow down and take care of yourself, and you're listening, so all will be well.

thirtybubba 10-02-2009 07:04 PM

Get better soon, Kez!

Congrats on staying sober all this time... I kinda fell off and haven't been paying attention as well as I should be. Sorry.

:hide

-TB

mariechi 10-02-2009 07:10 PM

Oh man, the flu! I hope you feel better soon. Being sick can't be helping your frame of mind right now. Take good care of yourself and know that better is on its way. :ghug3.

Can I coax a smile out of you? :e124:

Kez 10-02-2009 07:13 PM

i hope so Anna, and TB thats ok i read your post,, just try and get back on and keep going.... you can do it,, ive read many of your posts and you come across as so strong,, but we all fall sometimes and when we do we need to get straight back up and carry on... am thinkin of ya x

Dee74 10-02-2009 08:00 PM

Hi Kez

I don;t have a scientific explanation for ya - I just know when I drank thats pretty much all I did - drank, smoked, ate crap when I ate at all, didn't sleep well...a lot of the time I think I was running on booze and cigs...

and then when I quit I always wanted to be healthy again RIGHT NOW...so I pushed myself hard...the end result was, more often than not, I got sick.

That why I think I was run down when I quit anyway - it may not be the same for you, Kez....maybe you just got something going around?

take it easy - drink plenty of fluids, and rest up :)

D

Kez 10-02-2009 08:09 PM

mmm its crazy i feel the worst i ever felt and thanks Dee, thats all im doing is drinking water,,, but i tell you if i was still drinking there was no way i was going to get thru that hell uni week, up until 3am most nights doing reports and getting presentations ready, i wouldve been passed out by the booze at that stage........

thirtybubba 10-03-2009 09:36 AM

Yes, drink water... my new drink of choice. ;)

How you feeling today, Kez?

Mattcake 10-03-2009 09:46 AM

Hope you feel better soon, Kez :) Right after I'd finished withdrawing from alcohol, I came down with the flu (actually, it turned out to be pneumonia). My doc told me it fairly common, as our defences hit the floor while detoxing.

Anyway, I was basically forced to stay in bed for a while, which turned out to be a good thing in the long run- I really do agree with Anna on this. Get some rest and try to relax :)

serenitea 10-03-2009 09:54 AM

I can relate - I just am getting over an awful bug that took me down! In the past I would just push thru the illness but this time I could not even get out of bed. I actually felt worse than ever. I had the same thoughts - how did I not get this sick before? Why is this so much worse? I almost felt like all this toxic stuff was flowing out of me.

Surprisingly - I woke up this morning and I feel MUCH better. Better than I have felt in a long time..I am still sick but it is different. Like other said, I do feel like I hit some low with the illness - it made me stop and get the needed rest.

I hope the same for you!

IO Storm 10-03-2009 01:17 PM

I'm getting over the flu too!

I truly sympthasasize....

We have a saying in recovery.. "This too, shall pass."

It will, and does...

Congrats on 13 days! :fireworks2:

Keep up the good work you have begun.

IO