Notices

where were the scary ogres at my AA meeting?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

where were the scary ogres at my AA meeting?

Hi my name is Lisa, and I don't ever want to lose myself to booze again!

So, I have been sober coming on 9 months, go me=) My "recovery program" was this here site and some library books, SR is wonderful and I am grateful.

I have always been curious about AA, well, at least since I quit drinking. I also promised myself that I would avail myself to any means necessary to stay off the sauce when I quit, including AA, rehab, or having my lips sewn shut. So I figured it would be better to get my feet wet now, rather than wait for a potential relapse situation to check out my first meeting.

My first thought was "dang, these people are way more animated and raucous than I expected".

It was just a bunch of seemingly nice people sharing stories relating to how much better they like their lives sober.

The 5 or 6 people I met all had like 20+ years sober, crazy.

Anyway, I don't know if I will go back. I would like to meet some sober friends here, but I feel a bit like a poser going just to make friends, having no desire at this time to embrace the whole deal.

If you are considering going, go, it was mostly just a trip, with free cookies and coffee=)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty much the same experience I had Gypsy Feet...a very pleasant surprise. I to would encourage anyone who is curious about aa to go to a beginner meeting. It was much different, in a good way, than I expected.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you did go to AA.....
and yes....that is where I found sober folks
learning how to enjoy their sobriety.

As our partner has returned to drinking.....you might
consder Al anon for support for that situation.

Well done on your sober time Lisa...
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
Hi my name is Lisa, and I don't ever want to lose myself to booze again!

So, I have been sober coming on 9 months, go me=) My "recovery program" was this here site and some library books, SR is wonderful and I am grateful.

I have always been curious about AA, well, at least since I quit drinking. I also promised myself that I would avail myself to any means necessary to stay off the sauce when I quit, including AA, rehab, or having my lips sewn shut. So I figured it would be better to get my feet wet now, rather than wait for a potential relapse situation to check out my first meeting.

My first thought was "dang, these people are way more animated and raucous than I expected".

It was just a bunch of seemingly nice people sharing stories relating to how much better they like their lives sober.

The 5 or 6 people I met all had like 20+ years sober, crazy.

Anyway, I don't know if I will go back. I would like to meet some sober friends here, but I feel a bit like a poser going just to make friends, having no desire at this time to embrace the whole deal.

If you are considering going, go, it was mostly just a trip, with free cookies and coffee=)
That's awesome

If it was fun, and you had a nice time, why not go again?

For so many reasons, F2F support, make friends, people with similar interests, get some phone numbers, practice calling them, and then, when the sh1t hits the fan, and it will, at some point, as sure as the sun will peek it's fiery lil orb over the horizon there will come a day when you need support, they will be there for you.

and who knows, maybe doing the steps eventually will be as much of a surprise as this meeting was, it was for me, I have followed many of your shares here and many of the answers you seek can be found there.

What you come seeking for, you come seeking with, the steps will just allow you to access those, but seriously, no pressure about that, but why not go back, everyone will be happy to see you and welcome you, we are always happy to see another sober face.

The truth is, you find the right set of meetings it's a lot of fun.

like a lot of fun, that's why we go after we don't have to anymore, because we want to.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Anyway, I don't know if I will go back. I would like to meet some sober friends here, but I feel a bit like a poser going just to make friends, having no desire at this time to embrace the whole deal."

No need to embrace the whole deal, take what you want and leave the rest.

AA can be a fantastic social experience.

Nobody's keeping score.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I met some nice people when I went to meetings. I also met some evil ones. Kinda like the world.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The "scary ogres" are still out there drinking with no intention to give up. People forget that the people who attend AA meetings are either sober or attempting to get sober.
The scary ogres are to be found in homes up and down the country refusing to even consider the notion of a life without booze.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lisa,

I'm glad that you are continuing to find ways to help you with recovery.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A.A. is a great thing.. find a "group" that is a good fit for you and stick with it.. you got nothing to lose but the booze!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

haha, windy's simple guide to living, part 2? If you notice windy, I did say "seemingly nice".

I just expected to be more pressured into buying in to it (maybe from some of the well meaning folk here ), and I expected it to be much more somber, cause getting sober is serious bidness!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most of my home group are nutballs, me included!

I don't know what I'd do without my crazy and supportive friends.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great you went to a meeting! Maybe right now you feel secure in sobriety, but maybe some day you might want more interaction with others and it's nice to know AA will always be there.

I didn't start any step work for for quit a while, didn't get a sponsor either until I'd been going for about 8 months. I also went to speaker meetings and liked not having to say anything at first.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't do AA....but I really liked your post. The determination to stay sober and accept different methods of doing it, is truly admirable.

You have come soooooo very far! And, I like you new screen name much better. I think it shows how far you've come.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I go to meetings at an Alano Club (I'm a club member). Aside from the nice small trippy group of regular members that attend meetings, the club host dinners, dances and karaoke events. There is another Alano Club not too far from my pad. Its even bigger and is open all day with all sorts people hanging out and more events. So if one wants to just meet sober people...Alano Clubs rule...there's one in your town too Lisa.

I'm a poser too...LOL. Well not really, there's enough wiggle room in the steps for a Buddhist inclined bud like myself to include the program of AA into my Du-Dia addiction treatment plan.

Keep trudging along that road to happy destiny Lisa and congrats on 9 months.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Man it must be so cool to go to AA because you are curious, me i went in begging for help...totally ******:-)
Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mergirl

I don't even know what an alano club is Zen but I am off to research, thanks for the pointer
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am new at going to AA. It will be three weeks ago this Monday since my first meeting. I tried, really honestly tried, to get sober on my own for almost 4 years--the worst 4 years of my life. Out of desperation, and just completely lost on what to do next, I forced myself to go. By the end of the first meeting, I actually felt relieved. My life is in a horrific state right now, but I know I am finally on my way to the life I really want to be living.
Maybe because you are 9 months into your sobriety, and have found what works for you, this one meeting did not effect you in the way it did me in the desperate state I was in. I realize the answer is not AA, the answer is me doing what I need to do to change my life around. The meetings are just support, guidance and HOPE that I too can beat this and actually be happy again one day. Some of the people are worse off then me, but most of the people are happy. Happy with themselves, happy with thier lives, and willing to share and help if they can. I WANT THAT!! So it helps me so much...I try to make it to a meeting everyday, and every single time I walk out I feel so much better than I did walking in. I know I'm getting closer, day by day. I hope you can get more out of it. Give another meeting a try. And if you decide it doesn't work for you, than at least you know you gave it a shot.
Congrats on your 9 months!!!