Notices

small success - thank you SR

Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zen alien

small success - thank you SR

wasn't quite sure how i'd handle my first friday night since i decided to stop & was making all kinds of excuses for why it would be "ok" to knock back a couple after a hard week as i was driving home. by the time i got here i was thinking i would pretty much go ahead and open up those Dox XXs rolling around in the bottom of the fridge, but I checked here first. new as i am, still had several messages waiting to wish me luck and strength, & that helped me say "no" at that point.

around 6, though, my wife got home and reminded me that we were headed back out the door to spend the evening with several friends to celebrate one's new house, and i knew i was sunk...those gatherings have always centered around copious amounts of alcohol and i knew tonight wasnt going to be an exception. it wasn't. i'd guess that the average number of drinks consumed between 7pm and midnight was something like 9 per person.

...except for me. i had club soda, and that was it. and i'm really kind of emotional about it. i've never, ever done that before, in my entire adult life. i've never been the only one who didn't....and i'm grateful to the people here at SR, who, with just a little personal...human contact, have already made a difference for me. just the little bit of kindness and shared experience i've known here this week (not to mention shared accountability) helped me do something that, without a doubt, would've just gotten a 'fuggit' from me a week ago.

going to bed, now, sober. thank you.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Way to go! Thanks for sharing. This place has helped me alot too with my recovery.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really pleased for you Driftwood - way to go!

D
Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So no regrets and no hangover !
win-win !!!
Who's the man now ???
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go its tough being around drunk people when your not drunk yourself.

Treat yourself to something special tomorrow morning, you deserve it
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man this brings back the first Friday for me...awesome feeling...keep it up!!! CONGRATS!

~Jade
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your good news with us....
Well done!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic man...
Old 09-26-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hannitized

"...except for me...."

Awesome words! Way to go. Keep fighting the good fight!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! Feels good to be in control, doesn't it
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kez

woohoo good stuf Driftwood,, im where you were right now,, people down the back drinking and the usual ********,,,, day 6 for me and its tough being here in this situation,,, but after reading your post it has made me dig my heels in more....

so thanks for that...
Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

INSPIRATIONAL.

I am facing this tonight at DAY 6, I will use your strength to help me get through it.

CONGRATULATIONS MAN.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
it's all happening

WOW -- good for you. I'm really impressed. I was invited to an Oktoberfest party tonight (yes, in September) and canceled instead of going. I just didn't want to put myself in that situation, this early in. So I'm incredibly impressed that you made it through without drinking!

How was the party, sober? And is your not drinking changing any of the dynamics with you and your wife?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't think that was a small success.....I think it was a Huge Success!

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zen alien

thanks, guys. you guys' kudos feel just as good as managing to do it at all

Penny - weirdly, the party wasn't really any less fun for the lack of alcohol, maybe a little strange at first because it was a different vibe for me than i'm used to. found myself a lot more engaged in what's going on with other people, though, instead of using "sip time" as just a break between periods of trying to get people to hear my perspective, was a lot easier & more natural to just listen to someone else.

as it got later though, it got a lot more interesting for me...i can state from experience, now, that those really intense, "deep" conversations that tend to occur as a party tends toward late aren't nearly as intense or deep from a sober perspective. they're just a lot louder and more random. interesting to witness from a new point of view!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know your feeling. Last nights and this mornings and I didn't even have to go to a party. Personally I don't think I could have gone. You are one hell of a strong guy. Keep going.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very inspirational! I passed up a party my other half went to last weekend but I was afraid I couldn't do it without drinking. I too would have been the only sober one but was afraid I may not stay that way.

Next time I will think of your post and know it can be done. I am sure it wasn't easy for you but great job!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

driftwood....that is one awesome testimony my brutha. too many triggers for me. i have attended football tailgating this year and was able to overcome it. and it was tough. but i really enjoyed the game being straight and able to remember it on sunday.

i love your newfound perspective of the 'deep conversations'. lol. again, great job.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats Driftwood! Great show of determination early on. I am only 25 days sober and I had tickets to Cheech and Chong my first Saturday night. Didn't feel I had the strength to do Cheech and Chong sober so I didn't go. You rock - you went and did it sober!!!