SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   it seems to be harder than i thought (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/185203-seems-harder-than-i-thought.html)

acoogle 09-25-2009 08:34 PM

it seems to be harder than i thought

:c021::c021:hi im angie and i have been taking pain meds fro 6 years or so and i have recently stopped cold turkey because i was abusing them and using them for the wrong reasons.it started out for my 4 ruptured disks, scoliosis, fibromyalgia etc and what the dr. was giving me was not enough so i thought.it became a mind buzz more than it was for the pain.i quit 150mg o oxycodone and 60 mg of ms-contin that i have taken for 2 years every day cold turkey 6 days ago to save my life and my daughters shes 9.please help with some words of encouragement.my husband is also addicted he quit for 4 days and now hes back on them and telling me take just a quarter of one you will feel better i dont know what to do because i still feel crappy and have trouble doing much. thanks to anyone who can help

ANGELINA243 09-25-2009 08:50 PM

Hi Angie! Welcome to SR! Have you spoken with a Dr. or someone about your addiction to pain meds? I cannot give medical advice but I don't think that quitting cold turkey is a good thing--especially since you have been taking pain meds for awhile now. Plus, it sounds like you have other medical issues to deal with as well. Maybe talking with a medical professional (and being completely honest with them) will be of some help. My Dr. knows about my addiction problem.....he knows what to give/what not to give me. Keep posting. You are not alone. :hug:

Dee74 09-25-2009 08:51 PM

Hi acoogle.

You'll find a lot of support here - both in Newcomers and in our Substance Abuse Forum
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I really think the first step for anyone should be to see a doctor.
You owe it to yourself to do this right in my opinion.

Welcome to SR :)
D

acoogle 09-25-2009 09:20 PM

thanks for replying

i did talk to my pain mgmt dr.and they wanted to taper me off but with my addiction i would run out then have to go out and hustle more and we all know they are no cheap. i feel i am doing it the way i need to i just thought that by speaking with other people going thru the same things will help meand it is great to know that i am not alone

ANGELINA243 09-25-2009 09:38 PM

Is this your first time trying to quit--Angie? You are not alone--we are here to help. Also, have you ever tried any other support methods such as meetings, or any other type programs? I find that attending meetings helps. Of course, my history includes detox/treatment centers too. I didn't get this recovery thing the first time round. I just never gave up trying. Glad you are here. :) We do recover. :hug:

CarolD 09-25-2009 09:43 PM

I have no experience to share on your situation.
I'm an AA recovered alcoholic.

I did want to say Welcome to SR...:wave:

Saphie 09-26-2009 06:14 AM

I too don't know about your addiction. Alcohol is my demon, but I do know about having a husband who keeps drinking and keeping booze in the house. He is not an alcoholic, but that fact really doesn't help. Just remember your little girl. Do go and seek medical help and always remember - we are all here in the same boat. Keep posting and reading.

Anna 09-26-2009 06:24 AM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and that you have stopped using the drugs. You are doing the right thing for yourself and your child, so stay focused and you will feel better soon.

acoogle 09-26-2009 06:40 AM

thanks to everyone who gave me words of encouragement. today is a week and my daughter has a birthday party to go to and she knows what i am going through i am honest with her and she tells me every day "mom one more day you can do it if you have made it this far keep going" shes a gifted child in school and i think shes helps alot as well as speaking to you guys.it helps to know that im not alone.

coffeenut 09-26-2009 07:57 AM

Welcome to SR...and good for you for recognizing that you need to stop!

a fallen man 09-26-2009 10:23 AM

my heart breaks for you. i was on pain pills a couple of years ago as well as an alkie. i got off the pills but it was awhile before the withdrawals stopped. i still drank at night and now have addressed that one. i'm terrified of the damage i've done to my liver. today is day 19 for the drink and i made it through a tough friday night.

i am moved by your daughter. she loves you and wants you healthy. i said a prayer for your family. you can do it.

sailorjohn 09-26-2009 10:25 AM

Welcome!!!

keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.

Wolf00 09-26-2009 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by acoogle (Post 2379998)
i did talk to my pain mgmt dr.and they wanted to taper me off but with my addiction i would run out then have to go out and hustle more and we all know they are no cheap. i feel i am doing it the way i need to i just thought that by speaking with other people going thru the same things will help meand it is great to know that i am not alone

There will be no easy way, I did the same thing with benzos and oxy. You have to fight for everything, the light on the other end of the tunnel will be worth the effort.

acoogle 09-26-2009 02:06 PM

yes this is my first time quitting i have never tried before. i am actually feeling a little better today.getting out of the house and spending time with my daughter away from home really helps.everyone keeps telling me that once the withdraws are over that the craving for the devil pills will come back.has anyone experienced that? i am not craving them like i said earlier in a post my husband quit for 5 days and on the 5th day he gave back in to the pills so he would feel better.

acoogle 09-26-2009 02:07 PM

thanks i will keep going one day at a time.

acoogle 09-26-2009 02:10 PM

i was an alky and quit drinking 4 years ago and i guess the pills took its place. keep up the good work. i am strong and i know i can do this.

Aysha 09-26-2009 02:26 PM

You def are not alone.
I dont know too much about pills. But please make sure you work with your Dr on this. Cold turkey is very dangerous. Maybe you and your husband both should seek some support. Good job on a week. Hope to see more of you.

acoogle 09-26-2009 03:02 PM

thanks you will because this is really helping to stay strong

acoogle 09-28-2009 07:34 PM

day 9 still hanging in there

hi to everyone at sr today is day 9 for me in my recovery i physically am feeling ok still a little wooly in the head and stomach problems.the worst thing is i feel like i am going insane. i have no patience, very angry, and depressed.anyone else haing these issues after cold turkey off major opiates? anyways i have a drs appt on the 5th of october with my primary to see maybe he can prescribe me something for the depression and all. i was on them before and ran out of refills around the same time i quit the opiates so im sure that is contributing to my insanity.oh yeah by the way as i told yall before my husband quit also for 4 days and caved in he is back on them strong and all i can do is sit back and watch, i have tried to tell him he can do it, but at this point i am focusing on my recovery for me and my darling daughter. i will keep yall updated daily thanks alot. p.s i guess "YALL" can tell im from the south. a little town called spring hill in florida.

Latte 09-28-2009 07:51 PM

There are some wonderful non narcotic pain management methods out there. There are also some amazing pain management places that aren't just pill mills. We found a wonderful one for my husband where we are now. A lot of physical therapy and some other options too. My husband is a normie but he watched me go through my addiction to pain meds and he has been an amazing help to me. Watching him deal with his pain through this all has really opened my eyes.

I'm glad you are here and still clean. Keep coming back!