Notices

relapse

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy relapse

Hello brothers and sisters,
In 2001, I had become addicted to various nonprescribed medications. I didn't drink until a doctor told me that if I mixed alcohol with the medications I was abusing I could die. Well, with my typical addict thinking, I decided that such dire warnings were only issued to keep people from doing something that was REALLY fun. I added alcohol to the mix. I wasn't prescribed the medicines I was taking (uppers, downers, and sidewaysers) and I came to see that there would be no way I could steal enough of the medicines to eventually keep me from going into withdrawal so I entered a treatment program.

I loved my program. I developed a loving support system. I had a deep relationship with my higher power, such that I truly believed I was being heard when I prayed. I did my fifth step with my sponsor. Had a home group, did service work.

I won't describe how I left my meetings or lost my god, because all these things are excuses. But, over the years, I began occasionally having a drink or two or a hit of pot while on vacation. Now, I have recently gotten drunk at home by myself several times. What is odd is that I don't even really like the feeling. I am afraid that I will begin buying enough booze to wake up with a hangover which scares the crap out of me. It is a struggle NOT to buy the alcohol.

When I was in my treatment center, a dear companion in my journey did service work by giving away chips at a meeting. I went with her as a support and got my ninth month chip from her. She relapsed and suicided. I feel like I should have been able to remain sober in her memory, so that the chip she gave me continued to mean something. I hope that's not too maudlin for you all, but I am so sad.

kristin p.s. can't get spell check to work, pardon any misspellings.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kez

is there anyway you can go back to that program that you had so much success with?
you CAN get sober again you just have to reach out like you did before.. i am on day 5And iknow what you mean that it is a struggle to not even buy the stuff... I have it in my shed 50m away and i can tell you the struggle it takes to not walk down there and just crack one open,, but i wont because i dont want to live like that anymore, the pain endured to remain drunk is much much much worse than the intial pain it takes to remain sober.... hang in there and keep posting
Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kez

Also with it being a struggle not to buy the alcohol should be a red flag telling you that something is wrong, and if nothing changes within, a hangover will be just the beginning of you know what is to come.....
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR advena. My deepest condolances on your friend, a sad reminder of where alchol and drugs take the majority of us. Were you using AA, NA or both before?

I can tell you right now that neither fellowship shoots thier wounded, of course I am sure you already know that. We welcome our wounded back with open arms!!!

Call your sponsor, get back at what you know works....... If we work it!!!

Hon you know what it took to stay sober and happy, you know what you stopped doing that took you back out there.

There are a great many of us that can learn from your experience, you have the ability within you to save lifes, get back to the rooms, do what you need to do for you and share where you were, where you went and why. Let folks like me know that the next go around is actually worse then the first time.

Thank you for sharing your relapse, you know you never have to go there again unless you want to.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back.

Everyone take note of her story... none of us are exempt.

We are all one bad decision away from disaster - don't make that bad decision.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristin

Welcome to SR. You'll find a lot of support here and, as you've seen, some good advice.
Please keep posting

D
Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who wrote with your support. I feel blessed. My sponsor gave me a book of religious/spiritual folktales. The moral of one of them was, that when you have lost god you look for him the last place you saw him. Thank you for reminding me that my higher power was in the rooms. I hope that makes sense.

Hugs to all of you, kristin
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kristin,

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

This disease of addiction is truly horrible.

I'm glad that you found us and hope that you will find lots of support here as you continue your journey.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bah! back again...

day 1...this is so insidious....creeping death (
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Take care, Skyburst: I hope you can enjoy the day in day 2, in spite of the tendency for those things that creep up on us to intrude.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hello all, it's Advena (kristin). Tonight I went to a women's meeting. I wept during the lead because I was so overwhelmed. I got a temporary sponsor. I am meeting her for a noon meeting tomorrow. Your words of encouragement have meant so much and one of the reasons I didn't buy wine today was so that I could come back and share hope and gratitude.
with love and thanks, kristin

edit: so there's no confusion, In an earlier post I wrote my sponsor gave me a book I found helpful. She's moved out of state and through my own inaction, I no longer have contact. So, I needed a temporary sponsor. Maybe none of you were confused and I am projecting my own bafflement onto you!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you again, Advena!