It keeps getting worse - Page 3 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Feeling great. I'm out of the worst of it.. I just need to keep the memory of how bad I felt (physically and mentally) last week on my last bender... If I can do that I'll be sober for life.
If that works for you, I'm all for it.

As for me, I don't believe that I have the power to remember that discomfort well enough to keep me from drinking. It was a delusion I held on to for a long time. I never want to feel like this again, therefore I just hold that memory close. I failed numerous times trying that. Then it was pointed out out to me that many other alcoholics had tried the same thing and met with the same bitter results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA Big Book, 1st Ed.
The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.
keithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
biravatch65 glad to hear you are sober, how many meetings have you been to? Get some numbers while you are there, there is nothing I like more then having a new comer or any one in AA call me, I have over 3 years sober and still call folks.
6 meetings in 4 days. I also walked back into a bar that I had been a regular at for the last 2 months to let them know I wasn't dead... the bartenders, owner and a couple regulars were worried.
biravatch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
Follow Directions!

Good deal, in early sobriety I did far better going to a ton of meetings.

Follow directions!

Sobriety date 18 Sept. 2006

Sober today thanks to AA
Tazman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

Well I've seen at least 3 posts today from people questioning whether they are truly an alcoholic or not. I'm experiencing the exact same thing today.

The shakes have stopped today, and I had to do an intake appointment for outpatient. At the appointment they were asking about drinking habits and going through each type of alcohol. At some point during the wine conversation I mentioned 2 bottles and they asked me how much wine that was... it was at that point that I realized that I didn't know how big a bottle of wine is, therefore I clearly cannot be an alcoholic!! :day6
biravatch65 is offline   Reply With Quote