Notices

Problem

Old 09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Problem

So I am at work and one of my rooms hasnt left yet. Its well past check out. So i knock and the guy starts yelling through the door how he over slept and he just keeps rambling on and on through the door. I just walked away. Whatever. I can do the other ones in that area first.
So they finally leave after a bunch of loud talking and stuff. I didnt see them leave cause I was at lunch.
I get in the room and it stinks like dingy, smokey dank smell.
I go to get the garbae and there is 3 soda cans made into crack pipes. I picked one up to see if it actually was what I thought it was and the freakin smell almost made me puke.
Yes..It was what I thought and they were caked with rez.
My first reaction was anger. It pissed me off. I dont need that crap, especially at work.
So I went told the mgr and she charged them another $100 to their credit card because it is a non smoking rom. She came and took pictures of the stuff.
Usually it would have triggered my cravings. But it didnt and still hasnt , Thank goodness. It just really made me mad.
Do I feel bad for turning them in to the mgr? Hell no. If your going to do drugs and your dumb enough to leave the evidence behind. That your own fault. And also maybe I do have a problem with it. The last place I should be exposed to it is at my job. I know its a hotel and all but still. It'd be different if I was purposely putting myself in a situation like that.
It is freakin pitiful that all could be going good and out of nowhere somehting like that happens. I am just very grateful it didnt trigger me.
I just got really angry. Because that is my recovery they are messin with when they leave that crap there for me to clean up. Whether they know that or not. Its just stupid.
I just needed to get that out. I felt so sick to my stomach. Not like an anticipation wanting to get high sick. But mad, angry and like WOW, thats just wrong sick.
I dont know how alcoholics deal with the crap in their face all the time. You would think as long as I stayed away from those areas and away form those people I would be ok.
Goes to show you can never be too careful. The crap is everywhere and may pop up in the last place you would expect.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

God Trish, love the bit about the manager taking pictures, can imagine the card holder whining about the charges and someone telling them, ah, we have pictures.

The mental image there is making me grin like a Cheshire Cat.

And you seem to be doing sooo well. True tests are when life just jumps up at us, you handled that thing very well indeed!

How's school going?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have transferred to the community college but cant start until January. Theres a whole thread on that too.
I wasnt feelin the course I was taking. And decided to do something I think would be helpful for me and my recovery as well as others.
And it has been something along the lines of what I wanted to do awhile back.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

YOU ARE AWESOME!! That anger was so healthy and perfect and beautiful!!! Three cheers!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I dont know how alcoholics deal with the crap in their face all the time.
Those that have recovered deal with it just fine. Those that have merely stopped drinking tend to hide from the world, always vigilant against slippery places and watchful for their triggers.

Originally Posted by AA Big Book, 1st Ed.
In our belief any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. If the alcoholic tries to shield himself he may succeed for a time, but usually winds up with a bigger explosion than ever. We have tried these methods. These attempts to do the impossible have always failed.
Not directed at you, Trish, just putting it out there for general knowledge. These experiements at shielding have already been tried over and over. There is no need for me to repeat them.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember being quite angry the first time I was around drinkers again - but that faded pretty quick. I learnt most of what happens beyond my nose is really not my business...

My nose is pretty big tho LOL...using the hotel where you work to use illegal drugs makes it your business too I reckon T, so you did well to report it

D
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trish, you sound so incredibly healthy up there. So proud of your Girl!!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

Great job! It's really good to realize your triggers so you can watch out for them.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

oh god trish you have all the luck lol. Glad you made it through the situation without hurting yourself. True progress right there. Congrats on enrolling in community college btw, your future is looking brighter and brighter hun
Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Trish, you know that you did the right thing.

And, I'm glad that you're going back to school too. It's a big step forward.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mergirl

I am so proud of you girl!!!!

Big e-hugs and lots of love
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Trish))) - when I think of all the places I know of where crack, pipes and other paraphenalia was hidden (by me and others) in hotel rooms, I'm really surprised you haven't run across it a lot more. It used to be the joke that there were certain places we would check when we checked in a room, although not necessarily somewhere that would be clean on a routine cleaning.....found a lot of stuff, too. It's been really nice, since I've been in recovery, haven't had to check ANY of those places

You sound great, sweetie, and I'm glad it had that reaction to you. Just keep on your toes. I've had that reaction before, but it still stayed in the back of my mind for a few days....I just kept saying "hell no" and moving on forward!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am sorry you had to experience this. I admit to having smoked nicotine cigarettes in a non smoking room in a hotel before, but I no longer do this - problem is there are very few smoking rooms in hotels these days. These guys just seem like inconsiderate morons.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Idiots leaving this stuff behind. I agree with everyone else, you did the right thing
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Alsha .. I had no Idea this was you Chi . doinks self ....
great job on hanging tuffer then nails gurl friend ! I so hear you on the smells being were in the same job line , and booze is legal . I tell you sometimes I open the doors and it smells like one them old arse bars with tap beer reeping in the sun for days .. I generally leave the door open and spray the heck outta it b4 I can get to it . My boss'es know in a Alki and how it grosses me out . But im glad im not the one drinkin it and feeling like the bottom of that beer tap the next day .. glad to see you around , now that I know its you .. gosh im a blond! huggles and more huggles Endzy
Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's helpful to remember that the people who left the stuff behind in the room are addicts who are sick. We all were in that place at one time. I did countless things that were inconsiderate and hurtful and was never even remotely aware of it -- wasn't aware of anything outside myself.

There but for the grace of God go I, or as I read recently, more accurately: There go I.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ha..Wait til they call and ask why their card was charged. "Well sir. We found cigarette butts and crack pipes in your NON SMOKING room. Ah Yes sir, We did take pictures of it."
That guy is going to be super paranoid the next time he gets high.
Yea Amy. When I first started working the hotels I thought the same things. Check all the places we use to hide stuff. Especialy the boys when they had rooms. I am too lazy to go lifting beds and tables and pulling ceiling tiles down and stuff now. LOL
Even the pot smokers we have that stay there arent stupid enough to leave one tiny clip or seed behind. What is it about cocaine users that they have to leave a trail behind/ I know I just didnt care when I was out there like that. I use to walk around with my pipe stuck in my ponytail. Like pebbles. Thats how stupid I was.

But I am just so grateful I didnt do what I would have before. And that would be to take those things and scrape em. Thats gross I know. But I would have back in my sicker days.
Then it would have been on and poppin.
I am so glad I dont have to be a slave to that crap now.
And yes..I was very very angry! And it did make me think of all the times we use to set up in hotels. Maybe this will be a tiny wake up for whoever was in there. He has a credit card. So he must have a decent life goin on. Maybe he will be scared and chill out even for a little while.

Last edited by Aysha; 09-29-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrisinaustin View Post
It's helpful to remember that the people who left the stuff behind in the room are addicts who are sick. We all were in that place at one time. I did countless things that were inconsiderate and hurtful and was never even remotely aware of it -- wasn't aware of anything outside myself.

There but for the grace of God go I, or as I read recently, more accurately: There go I.
Yea.>I agree to a point. But as early as I am in my recovery. And this is goin to sound awful. But hey. It is what it is.
Just like in the street. If it comes down to me or them. Meaning their addiction or my recovery. Guess what? Its goin to be my recovery.
Yes. I have been there. Too many times. So I know how it is. But we got away with it all the time. When I finally started feeling the consequences for my actions. Thats when I started to see a little more what my actions were doing. Not only to me but others as well.
But I get what your saying. But I cant have sympathy for it to a degree. For that exact reason. what if a child had stayed in that room after them and they dropped **** somewhere and the kid found it?? So since I have been there with the same selfish unawareness. I am going to be more angry. Because it is senseless.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your anger is reasonable, but you stayed strong and handled it like a professional. Well done!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Resident

I commend you for taking the appropriate action and reporting this to the manager and I commend the manager for taking the right action also and "fining" them.
Their behavior is unacceptable in any society. If the room is a non smoking room they should not be smoking cigarettes or anything else.
People request non smoking rooms because they are either allergic to stale smoke or they just do not like it. Anybody smoking anything in one of these rooms should be dealt with as harshly as possible.
Good luck on your career choice. I did not post there but now that you have made your decision I think you are doing the right thing.