Notices

O/T Please..I need advice.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I was excited because I wanted to do graphics out of high school. I was reverting back to that time. I was more excited just to have enrolled in school. Something I thought I would never do.
So it was more the excitement of actually going to school.
I was hesitant on the graphics right after I enrolled. I even met with the advisor twice about it.
I was in such a hurry to just get into a school. I didnt take the time weigh my options. I didnt even consider other schools.
The excitement of just going took me over.
I did get scared when I heard about where graphics will take someone.
I have heard more times than not from al kinds of people. Including the chair, others who have already earned their degree in it and others who know people who do. That it is not a stable field. Most people dont go on to do it because it is so competitive. I dont want to waste tieme or money on something I was doubting from the beginning and may not even have any use for anyway.
With what I am going to do now. Is something I have wanted to do for a long time. When I was out there in the streets and see alot of those girls out there especially. I would always think to myself. Where did these girls come from? Why did they come out here like this. I always wanted to do something for them. Even myself being addicted I tried my best to feed and help anyone I knew out there any way I could.
So again. This isnt "Oh I am all brand new and nnow I know it all and going to save the planet".
I did not take offense to your comment Bam. I did however to one other posters. But thats over with. I dont have time for that crap.

I did make my mind up. Came here for support and advice and got what felt like shot down. Like I am not qualified or capable of doing it.
Its all good. Cause its stuff like that that makes me work harder.

I officially withdrew from the business school today. I am in the process of enrolling in the community college. I have filled my application out and just need to send $30 in with it. I have changed my financial aid. I have spoken to admissions and the chair for the chem depend and they will start enrolling in Oct. My financial aid is not affected by me dropping out of the other school. They will buy back my books. I just have to pay a $100 dollar withdrawl fee.
I have no fear or doubt in my decision.
Not at all.
I may even take this to a 4 yr if I feel like I want to further my educaiton and do even more great things with people struggling.
I dont know it all. Not even close. I have a very long way to go in my own recovery. But who better to help others like us than someone who has been there and is doing the necessary things to better themselves?
Whatever way they get there is not up to me. But I can help them find that hope and that will to change their lives. I am not trying to heal them so much. They have to do that on their own choice. But I can help make that transition a little easier. Help them find avenues to do just that.
I know it will def help me in my own recovery alot. If I want to dedicate my life and my own recovery to helping others like me. Then I see absolutely nothign wrong with it.
I appreciate eveyones comments. Gave me alot to think about. But also made me that much more certain that this is what I want to do.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up A Higher Road

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
With what I am going to do now. Is something I have wanted to do for a long time. When I was out there in the streets and see alot of those girls out there especially. I would always think to myself. Where did these girls come from? Why did they come out here like this. I always wanted to do something for them. Even myself being addicted I tried my best to feed and help anyone I knew out there any way I could.
So again. This isnt "Oh I am all brand new and nnow I know it all and going to save the planet".
I did not take offense to your comment Bam. I did however to one other posters. But thats over with. I dont have time for that crap.

I did make my mind up. Came here for support and advice and got what felt like shot down. Like I am not qualified or capable of doing it.
Its all good. Cause its stuff like that that makes me work harder.

I have no fear or doubt in my decision.
Not at all.
I may even take this to a 4 yr if I feel like I want to further my educaiton and do even more great things with people struggling.
I dont know it all. Not even close. I have a very long way to go in my own recovery. But who better to help others like us than someone who has been there and is doing the necessary things to better themselves?
Whatever way they get there is not up to me. But I can help them find that hope and that will to change their lives. I am not trying to heal them so much. They have to do that on their own choice. But I can help make that transition a little easier. Help them find avenues to do just that.
I know it will def help me in my own recovery alot. If I want to dedicate my life and my own recovery to helping others like me. Then I see absolutely nothign wrong with it.
I appreciate eveyones comments. Gave me alot to think about. But also made me that much more certain that this is what I want to do.
Hey Aysha,

Well, you know how i feel about you helping street addicts...

You're a natural and you have the best credibility - you've been there and done that - and of course helping others is the most effective path to helping ourselves. What goes around comes around

Yeah, the money is not great, but it can be manageable later on, [big time depending on where you work] as your credentials and certifications are earned. Hey, write a book, i bet your life story has a message that would sell in later years making a great success story. Others have done it, why not you? Other doors will open as well, its a wide field, and they are always looking for excellent counsellors. And with more education comes more open doors.

Any ways, life is not about money, it's about living. Being in service to help, guide, counsel, and befriend street addicts is a worthy honorable venture and something to be proud of for a lifetime.

Best Wishes!!

RR
Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

There is nothing wrong with changing horses, if the one you are on is not taking you where you want to go. But i agree with the earlier post of Anvil's in suggesting you settle a bit before you set out on a new course. If you are truly moved to the counseling direction, it will not fade in your patience, only continue to reside in your immediate consciousness, undaunted by anything else. Then, you will know it's a true path. In the mean time, pursue both...take a class that relates to your GA and one that pertains to counseling. I did that when I was wanting to go into music, but also wanted to be an artist. Here it is, years down the road, and you know what? I do both.

Best of luck to ya' darlin, Is maith an scathan suil charad!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I know I'm new but my personal opinion is that if you've researched this as thoroughly as possible and know this is your dream, then you need to pursue it.

However, one final step of the research process could be a day spent career shadowing. This is a more sensitive field than most, but there may be a way for you to get in touch with someone in this field to observe what their actual day to day tasks are and what the work consists of. You can also figure out what their degree was and see if there's a way to work towards the same career from the Business School, maybe even get a leg up with the different academic background. You could contact your school's career services department to give this a shot before your deadline.

Just a possible source for a new view at this or any other possible career paths. I hope this helps and you're content with whatever path you choose.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
mergirl

I wanted all of my kids/wards to do community college first. Its a good solid way to get your GE classes done, and gives you time to explore what you really want to do. the graphics trade school is/was fine if you are 100% sure. I do think if there is a course you love there, keep it just for the joy and experience of getting back into learning, and then get in some CC classes as soon as you can.
When I first went back to school I was a wreck. I wanted to be therapist, or help kids in some way. Then I started working as a teacher's aide and decided teaching was my calling. I got my BA, then my credential, and then my own class, but in that district there was no room for what I wanted/needed to do for those kids. I work in a totally different field now, and am not using my schooling but I have no regrets. I love my job, and the cool thing about schooling is you get to keep it, no one can take away the degree or the knowledge you gain.

And trish about the advice that stings: Everyone here is coming from a place of caring and concern. When people get passionate about something in early recovery, be it a move, career change or romance, it can be scary to watch. It is only the stuff we really care about and want badly that can really rock our world when it doesn't go right.

I am so excited to watch this transformation, and want only good things for you honey, and I'm betting everyone else on this thread is rooting for you as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have always wanted to do something to help epople. I wanted to be a cop for the longest time. I am not so much wanting to be in the treatment phase of this. I dont want to so much eb the one to try and get them sober. I more or less want to be on the end where they are on their way in sobriety and want to help them find jobs, find support, and opportunities after they have decided to get and stay sober. Not saying some will wont slip. But I know how the transition into normal life for me was. And alot of times it made me feel like why am I even trying if all I am doing is battling to prove myself all the time. I think alot of addicts get frustrated with that constant battle of trying to outlive their past. I want to be the one who keeps them fighting. Like I said. I am not here trying to save anyone. Its up to them to get that part. I just want to help them find ways to get back to living right once they have made that decision and started to work on their sobriety.
I use to read Freud alot when I was in my late teens. I dont know why. I was going to take some psychology classes back the too. But as with everything else. I became a raging addict.
I appreciate all your replies.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes. I know I dont need a degree to help people. But I am looking to maybe further my education in other areas too way later on.
I mean I could do a number of things. I think what I want to do now will be a good stepping stone for other things later on. I may not even get too far into counceling. I might just go be a therapist or a social worker. Join the peace corp. I dont know. But I gotta start somewhere and that seems like the logical place.
I have thought about volunteering.Or even becoming a patient advocate in treatment centers and places like that. You can volunteer or even get paid for doing that. Depending on where you go and how much time you want to dedicate. It does require a certain amount of clean time before doing that for sure.

I am not sayin any of this is set in stone. I could change my mind again. But this is basicly the path I want to follow.

Me and my gram went through all our clothes and stuff the other day. And usually we would take it to Salvation Army. But I am going to take it to the food pantry so people can get it for free. And do you know how good that felt to know I could give stuff to people in need? Directly from my hands to theirs.

I have no intention on saving anyone from everything. All I want to do is be a help in any way possible. It makes me feel very fulfilled and I cant even explain it really. I know you guys know that feeling.

And again. It doesnt have to be working with just addicts. I may want to work with abused women, the homeless, teens or whatever there is out there that I feel I could be of service.
Its the least I can do for all the years I have wasted being a selfish POS in my addiction.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Hi Aysha,

I believe that no aspect of education is a waste. You can draw something out of everything you learn.

The pursuit of CDC is admirable. I'm sure that you want to be the best counselor possible, and part of that isn't just helping others stay clean, it is teaching them life skills and personal responsibility. Business Management would probably help you know how to teach financial responsibility to your patients. The more you know, the better you will be able to relate to your patients. And you never know what walk of life your patients will come from.

I'm excited for you.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

A good heart takes you farther than any other vehicle. You have a great heart, Trish. You will do well at whatever you choose.

Padraic