SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I don't know where to start (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/185000-i-dont-know-where-start.html)

mariechi 09-23-2009 08:14 AM

I don't know where to start

I'm a newcomer to this type of community. I don't know a forum from a blog or what thread I'm in or a chat room. Do you wander in and join the conversation? By the time I figured out how to "talk," everybody had left. I wasn't sure if I'd interrupted.

I wandered around the site yesterday, built a profile, tried to get my bearings a little. I joined a thread! My profile has a place for friends. I don't know how to meet people in this environment.

A week ago Monday I went to work drunk. It wasn't my intention. I have probably lost my livelihood. I don't blame them. When asked why I did that, I said I didn't know what I was doing. On some level I must have, but many times, I don't realize I'm drunk. I've spent many years as a "functional" alcoholic with many strategies on controlling my drinking.

I can't control my drinking. I've spent the last week looking for insights on how I got here, looking for education on my condition. I've been very ignorant. There's information, conflicting information, misinformation. I've been building strategies on how to never drink again. For whatever combination of reasons, I cannot handle alcohol and never will be able to.

I'm going to the detox center as soon as they have a bed. Hopefully, it will be Tuesday. I'm staying sober, and not having a problem so far. That's one of my patterns is the ability to easily stay sober for a number of days. Then I'll lose a few days to drink. I'm afraid the DTs will hit me while I'm here alone. You know, until I started serious reading this week, I didn't know alcohol was in part a physical addiction with withdrawal. Duh...

So any guidance anyone can give me on being a member of this community will be great. I just don't know if I'll be able to find it.

Thanks

sailorjohn 09-23-2009 08:17 AM

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.

Kez 09-23-2009 08:19 AM

well ive only been here a few days and just as lost as you as to where to go and how to get involved,, but your in the right place im on day 3 on being sober, but there are many more people here that are alot wiser, brighter and sober than me that can give you lot sand lots of great info and help....... hang in there :)

tommyk 09-23-2009 09:53 AM

Keep coming back here.

SERIOUSLY make an effort to meet some PEOPLE in AA (no matter what you've heard, no matter what you think of AA... meet the PEOPLE... they're just like you).

Rest assured that you are NOT alone.

;)

Sikkisirus 09-23-2009 09:56 AM

Welcome to SR and congratulations on starting your first thread :day6

Hilltopper1972 09-23-2009 10:10 AM

Welcome, you sound a lot like me. I go to the gym regularly and can quit for a few days quite easily, then after I'm feeling good I decide to drink again. Last night was a big one, drove drunk to get cigs and wine, woke up on the couch. Left TV on, door open, lights on. Total idiot. Didn't go open up the office, reps waiting outside, my partner annoyed because I got wasted. I've quit so many times and I'm tired of quitting. I keep coming back to the conclusion that I simply can't have 2 glasses. Its just not in the cards for me personally. Geez I feel like hell.

mariechi 09-23-2009 10:24 AM

Hilltopper, yep my story. No, my friend, for whatever reason, we cannot drink any alcohol, not know, not ever. I have to believe, though, that every day will not be hell, craving that drink. Thank you for your post:scoregood

smacked 09-23-2009 11:05 AM

Welcome, and the further you get into your recovery, I promise every day is nothing like hell!

You may want your doctor to know that you're detoxing alone to see if he/she has any advice, til you get to detox.

What is your plan after detox?

laurie6781 09-23-2009 11:28 AM

If you feel the least little bit 'off' please go to University Medical Center (formerly Thomason Hospital) ER IMMEDIATELY. They will take care of you and get you into detox.

Yes, I am in Las Cruces, and have worked with 'wet ones' many times in El Paso. We always used Thomason. Nothing has changed but the name, now that UTEP has a medical school, Thomason has become University Medical Center.

There is no reason to try detoxing on your own, that is way too dangerous.

Once the worst of the 'toxins' are out of your system will be time enough to start researching recovery programs and decide which one you would like to try.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

mariechi 09-23-2009 11:30 AM

Thanks Smacked,

I don't have a doctor, haven't for years. What I did last Saturday when I was afraid I was going into detox was call a friend who knows what's going on with me. I told him I was probably using poor judgment, I was not asking his permission, and he was not accountable. I bought a single-serving bottle of bourbon (never liked bourbon though I'm sure the little monster could acquire the taste). I drank it at the kitchen sink. I called him the next morning to tell him I had done exactly as I said I would. It was my way of holding myself accountable. It "worked" Whether I was going into detox or not, it calmed my terror. I have had nothing since then. When I say it "worked," it was a strategy to stave off detox, not a way to manage my drinking.

I don't know what detox will be like for me. Reading about it is very frightening. It may be nothing more than rough, not life-threatening.

This is a state-run program. They will assess me and guide me to the next step.

Thanks

Dee74 09-23-2009 01:23 PM

Hi Mariechi

Welcome to SR. It all seems bewildering at first but you'll soon find your way around.
I found the best way was to just dive right in.

I'm glad you're taking steps to deal with this.
Lauries advice about the local ER is great.

Keep posting - hope to see you around :)
D

Wolfchild 09-23-2009 06:56 PM

:welcome

Carrie36 09-23-2009 07:00 PM

:welcome

mariechi 09-23-2009 07:04 PM

Thanks to all of you I am finding my way around and am on my way.:thanks

Borracho 09-24-2009 09:43 AM

Hi Mariechi, thanks for sharing. I'm kind of in the same boat, just a little further back.

I haven't considered going to a detox center, but I may reconsider after reading the frightening tales of the DT's.

Unfortunately, no health coverage and the wallet has been thinned down over the last year or so. :(

Wolf00 09-24-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mariechi (Post 2376554)
I'm a newcomer to this type of community. I don't know a forum from a blog or what thread I'm in or a chat room. Do you wander in and join the conversation? By the time I figured out how to "talk," everybody had left. I wasn't sure if I'd interrupted.

I wandered around the site yesterday, built a profile, tried to get my bearings a little. I joined a thread! My profile has a place for friends. I don't know how to meet people in this environment.

A week ago Monday I went to work drunk. It wasn't my intention. I have probably lost my livelihood. I don't blame them. When asked why I did that, I said I didn't know what I was doing. On some level I must have, but many times, I don't realize I'm drunk. I've spent many years as a "functional" alcoholic with many strategies on controlling my drinking.

I can't control my drinking. I've spent the last week looking for insights on how I got here, looking for education on my condition. I've been very ignorant. There's information, conflicting information, misinformation. I've been building strategies on how to never drink again. For whatever combination of reasons, I cannot handle alcohol and never will be able to.

I'm going to the detox center as soon as they have a bed. Hopefully, it will be Tuesday. I'm staying sober, and not having a problem so far. That's one of my patterns is the ability to easily stay sober for a number of days. Then I'll lose a few days to drink. I'm afraid the DTs will hit me while I'm here alone. You know, until I started serious reading this week, I didn't know alcohol was in part a physical addiction with withdrawal. Duh...

So any guidance anyone can give me on being a member of this community will be great. I just don't know if I'll be able to find it.

Thanks

You can do it man, dude alcohol withdrawal is a bitch, nothing like waking up with your heart pounding out of your chest, feelings of doom, shame etc.

Set goals man.

Borracho 09-24-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf00 (Post 2378144)
You can do it man, dude alcohol withdrawal is a bitch, nothing like waking up with your heart pounding out of your chest, feelings of doom, shame etc.

Set goals man.

I didn't want to hear that. :(

:lala

Wolf00 09-24-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Borracho (Post 2378152)
I didn't want to hear that. :(

:lala

The truth? You gotta face the facts, recognize - then eliminate. Then fight. I'm working right now with serious DTs.

crisean 09-24-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf00 (Post 2378159)
The truth? You gotta face the facts, recognize - then eliminate. Then fight. I'm working right now with serious DTs.

no...we know the truth...its the way you support someone knowing the truth

Borracho 09-24-2009 10:33 AM

I know the truth, I'm just a little skeered of the DT's. I also know quitting is a bitch, but it is possible.

Hang in there Wolf, you (we) will be better in the end. Hopefully the DT's will be gone before you know it.

PurpleCat 09-24-2009 10:48 AM

Regarding withdrawals - each person is different. I have had no physical problems. I did have a doc's care prior and am on some medication. Seek medical help if you are having problems, but not everyone has all those symptoms. Don't let fear keep you from trying.

(((hugs))) to all who are struggling.