SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   a family that drinks together.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/184974-family-drinks-together.html)

a fallen man 09-22-2009 08:19 PM

a family that drinks together....

i would bet that most folks do believe that alcoholism runs in families. i know it does in mine.

my mother is not one but her father died from it. my father is and his father died from it.

my younger brother and sister both fight the poison.

today was my sister's birthday. i called her to wish her a happy birthday (she doesn't live here) and told her i had not drank in 15 days. she told me she was 17 days clean. neither of us knew the other was even thinking of quitting. kudos to her.

i spoke to my younger brother today and he is trying to make today, day number 1. he has quit in the past using a.a. and stayed off it for a long time. he's in pretty rough shape right now and knows he needs to quit.

he's pretty much like i was....doesn't miss work due to it but just goes in feeling awful and toughing it out. i don't pray very much but i'll be praying for him tonight as my day 1 was two short weeks ago.

having quit before he knows what is in store for him. i told him about this site and he said he had it bookmarked. he also talked to his a.a. sponsor today so he is reaching out.

just thought i'd share this. i know it's kind of rambling. i just found it cool that we did not coordinate this but it worked out we're all quitting at the same time.

Jade19 09-22-2009 10:00 PM

Really touched by your post. It's amazing....I am saying prayers for all of you...keep us posted on their progress as well as yours!! CONGRATS on 17!!! Well done!!

Jade

Dee74 09-22-2009 10:10 PM

great post AFM.
thank you :)

D

Kez 09-22-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by a fallen man (Post 2376040)
i would bet that most folks do believe that alcoholism runs in families. i know it does in mine.

I definitley believe that,, My dad is full blown alkie sos my sister, my younger brother is not and he has a different father......not sure if that is coincidence or dna but i know where im putting my money.........

Kez 09-22-2009 10:24 PM

and that is awesome that you are unknowingly going it together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTOSBT 09-22-2009 10:36 PM

That is so wonderful!
My prayers are with you all.
Just think how much better the holidays will be when you are all sober :)

WantToHeal 09-23-2009 01:44 PM

Peace and courage to all of you, fallenman!

thirtybubba 09-23-2009 01:54 PM

When my nephew turns 18 in Feb, we will have 1 non alcoholic/ addict adult in the family... his younger brother pops Oxys like they're candy, and it's not like he can't see his future.

We're not a small family.

So... yeah. I think you're right. It does run in families. I was thinking about this earlier, too... strange.

Extra congratulations on both y'all and your sister quitting like that--that's extra super impressive, and I wish the both of y'all the best. Wish that'd run in families too...

Take care,
-TB, who's waking up to realizing she's not the only one who thinks about the things she thinks about. Thanks SR. I'm out for the day.

a fallen man 09-23-2009 06:13 PM

update.....i just got back from baseball practice. it was truly enjoyable. in the past i couldn't wait for practice to be over because then i could run home and get in my drink. so nice to not have that occupy my mind during practice.

spoke with my brother this afternoon on my way home to see how he was doing. he's still having withdrawal symptoms but did not drink last night. when i spoke to him he was at the grocery picking up items for his wife to celebrate their anniversary. he told me he had passed all the liquor stores he stops at and would make it home without getting anything. i'm proud of him.

i have two sons...one 22 and one 17. neither has ever touched a drop. all of their friends drink. my oldest told me a long time ago that one of the reasons he has never started is he has seen what it did to me and my brother and he knows alcoholism runs in families. smart kid. both boys are very happy that i am sober now.

you have to do it for yourself but it's okay if others enjoy it right??? lol. i know the answer...just bein' a little cheeky.

scotslad 09-23-2009 07:14 PM

Thanks for that. Very nice Post

Wolf00 09-23-2009 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by a fallen man (Post 2376040)

my mother is not one but her father died from it. my father is and his father died from it.

my younger brother and sister both fight the poison.

today was my sister's birthday. i called her to wish her a happy birthday (she doesn't live here) and told her i had not drank in 15 days. she told me she was 17 days clean. neither of us knew the other was even thinking of quitting. kudos to her.

i spoke to my younger brother today and he is trying to make today, day number 1. he has quit in the past using a.a. and stayed off it for a long time. he's in pretty rough shape right now and knows he needs to quit.

he's pretty much like i was....doesn't miss work due to it but just goes in feeling awful and toughing it out. i don't pray very much but i'll be praying for him tonight as my day 1 was two short weeks ago.

having quit before he knows what is in store for him. i told him about this site and he said he had it bookmarked. he also talked to his a.a. sponsor today so he is reaching out.

just thought i'd share this. i know it's kind of rambling. i just found it cool that we did not coordinate this but it worked out we're all quitting at the same time.

Dude it 100% runs in the family, its no coincidence me and my immediate family can down thirty plus drinks no prob crush half gallons of liquor with beer and whatever drugs. Also the reaction is much different from a drunk alcoholic than a drunk non-alcoholic. Pretty scary to forget must of the evening having no ******* idea whatsoever what happened. I've got tired of it.

Taking5 09-23-2009 10:34 PM

Awesome. Keep it going and be sure to have your brother and sister come here to SR if they need support.