Notices

Four Weeks and the taste still lingers

Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four Weeks and the taste still lingers

Good news, four weeks passed yesterday..... I had major cravings yesterday for something I haven't drunk in a long time (am/was a vodka fanatic) , namely German Wheat beer.... I was traveling yesterday so lots of time to 'let your mind wonder' and I found myself thinking about sitting in a beer garden sipping a frosty one and actually 'tasting' it and enjoying the first pull on a long beer. I had a moment of ... that would be nice.... but didn't feel the need to go to the store and purchase said beer... I suppose no different from some other fantasy. I put the thought out of my mind and not until later, was pleased that it didn't trigger a 'go get alcohol moment'. The rambling point I'm finally getting to is... things improve and the cravings jump out of nowhere but my mindset is firm and resolved to continue the 'no drinking' policy'..... excuse the self-fanfare.... but may be a positive for people who are early in quitting and wondering if it gets better/easier. Nothing special,clever or pill driven on my part, just a real desire to me again.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kez

cool thankyou,,, im on day four and have been having some bad moments, but that is nice to know
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It gets easier for me, I think, because I know why I chose to stop drinking.

Cravings, for me, are lies my disease uses to try and trick me.

I do not want to drink today and I know why - I just play the tape all of the way through.

Keep coming back.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Congratulations holdfold.

Getting drunk gave me instant gratification. There is no equal sensation of instant gratification when I overcome and overpower my urges to drink. That's just how it is for me.

So I reward myself in some other fashion when I exhibit power over my urges. This helps give me that feeling of gratification. I might go buy myself a nice steak dinner or go buy a gift for a friend. But I make sure that I spend less than I would have on alcohol or drugs.

Just sharing how I deal with urges and how I reward myself for staying sober.

Disclaimer: These are my own opinions and I reserve the right to be wrong.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats on 30 days!!! it will get better. the worst place for me to be is stuck in my own head. i did that for long enough. im a bad person for myself to be around! LOL dont know if you do aa, but whatever it is you do, just keep busy and try to help the person with les time than you. that always seems to do the trick.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done on your 4 weeks holdfold - and congratulations on your attitude
Outlook is a big part

D
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Thank you!!! It's wonderful to hear hopeful triumphant moments. Helps keep us going.