Notices

Drama....

Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yea..I get cranky around that 30 day period too.
But I am past that finally.
As for drama on the forum. Its to be expected.
Theres a bunch of addicts without drugs and alcohol coming down and trying to get right.
Hearing and dealing with things that they been burying for who knows how long.
Its enough to make anyone want to be a little grumpy.
But the great thing is. That theres many more people here that are willing to be understanding and compassionate and help people like that through it.
So it balances out IMO.
But I really havent seen too much drama here lately. A little but not much.
But then I only go to a couple of the forums, not all of them.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know too what u mean.

I'm only 25, but i've been high most of the time since i was 14. Everytime i'm sober for a few months there comes this realization that i don't have a clue how to live a 'normal' life, and how to deal with emotions in a 'normal' way. I doubt if I will ever fit in..

From my point of view...it's supressed negative karma that is released suddenly because it's not being held inward anymore by dope/booze.

So I try to cope, and learn from my mistakes. During the last two years i've been sober for about 9 months all together...wich is a pretty good advancement so far...
Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've noticed since I've started recovery that I'm also addicted to drama, it takes my mind of internal stuff and stops me from feeling feelings, just like alcohol used to do..

Sorry, just my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

I create drama in my life when I am unable to live life on life's terms (eg. accept the things I cannot change). In the past, if something in my life was really getting to me, I'd disappear for the weekend and get drunk (of course create a whole new drama).

So for me, sobriety is easy when things are going good. When their not, I have a real tendency to make things worse. I use AA (steps, sponsor, fellowship) & counseling to try to deal with life. We can change/correct our thinking but it takes time & work.

Also, I am learning to be careful about who I “vent” to. Too many people reinforce the drama (eg. Co-sign my BS). Makes things worse in the long-run.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I've been around here for a long time, and drama comes and goes from time to time.

I learned early on to not get caught up in it. I really do try to keep positive things in my life. I think we have great members here and there is always something positive to read and smile about.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I like how about 3 of you came up with the answer for this! That's why I love this forum, people taking care of business.

Drama is going to happen.....just like in real life. What I have learned from this forum is that if I want to watch...watch....just stay out of it (or try to, anyway). I do the same thing in real life, now....I just don't get involved in the drama (in other words, I'm not making it, either!). That has been a huge piece to my sobriety....I really do feel a sense of peace.

Good thread!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Heathen

Just a quick note (or two).. yah, it's a slice of life, lots of alcoholics and addicts at various stages of sobriety and recovery, or lack of either. Drama happens.

As for thinking that the people causing such "drama" are around 30 days sober.. the latest bumps in the path were a few people still drinking, not sober. But it can happen with anyone, any forum, and it's just up to each of us as to how we respond to it internally.

It makes me really sad for those of you that think that being sober must be hell for us sober folks.. it's the most amazing feeling I've ever had, personally.. but I remember thinking kinda like that when I was caught up in drinks and addiction too.. crazy what alcohol and drugs can make ya think.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

The reasons why it takes place is somewhat beside the point for me. i can either dig into it & look for the exact nature of the problem (often drama is a symptom of a much greater problem!) to see how i can help OR just sit back and watch what goes on. By learning how to let people be who they seem to be here has helped me to let others be who they seem to be elsewhere. All things considered, you'd have to admit that this community is a wonderful place to practice our communication skills without the immediate results of doing it in the real world. It's kinda like a testing ground for alot of people to to take an uncalculated risk in sharing what they're going thru. Drama is only drama if you look at it as drama. If you look at it a different way, you might get a different perspective on it.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Few notes back...

Actually I wasn't referring to anyone specifically... found out about the latest 'incident' afterwards. It was more of a trend I've noticed since I started coming here in July.

& You bring up an interesting point, Smacked. Why do we fear sobriety/ associate with negative emotions & behaviors? It would be more popular if it had better publicity... Personally I loved my little sobriety time last month. Best times I can remember. And yet, less than a week later, I'm back to being afraid of it...

Alcohol has better publicists... and a bigger budget.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Wolfchild,

& I'm grateful for it... if I had to learn this the old-fashioned way, I'd be going along making enemies I don't need. I think a lot of us need practice. I know I do. I just don't see the point in fighting online...

(Sorry, you posted @ the same time as me... see? Manners I don't know...)
Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good topic TB, I needed to read this today. I took a break from SR for the first time in a while because I found myself getting into topics/thoughts that were not healthy for me (at the time).

I would say that is one of the big things that I am in the process of learning is letting go, even if I feel I have to say my thoughts on a subject. Its ok to read and move along ;-)

For those of us that have been struggling for a long time we have a lot of "stuff" that we are dealing with that we have always numbed with alcohol.

All of the best,

NB