Notices

When it seems impossible, what do you do?

Old 09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm struggling like hell to catch up in my classes at college, but it seems impossible, considering the amount of work required. My head is just not getting some of this stuff, so I have to slow down, read it again, and again, and try to sort out what it means. This is mainly in my algebra class, and I'm way behind schedule, however the instructor is pulling for me to get on track. I'm trying, I'm really trying, and just took a break from studying to come here and seek any advice regarding how to catch up.

Today is day 19 without a drink, and I feel ok, just really bummed over falling so far behind at school. I don't want to quit, I have a hard time quitting anything I've committed to, so I need some tips on how to pull it all together and stay the course.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to drink over this, that's just a stupid thought that keeps bouncing around in my head.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Yeah, don't quit. Not worth it at all. You can get back on track...

Been to the tutor people? You did mention that you're ahead of schedule, so I guess the best I can suggest is keep worrying. Sounds messed up, but that way you surely won't fall behind...

My thoughts are with you...

Keep in mind, FS, where you're at compared to, say 5 years ago (making up numbers here--work with me...). You're doing so well, might not seem like it at the time is all.

-TB
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

whenever I fell behind D I either did my best to catch up...I dunno what else to tell you... or when that wasn't gonna be good enough, I saw my tutors and/or professors - not saying this will be the way for you but I learned sometime you just have to take a class again - it really is just one unit - and, while I didn't like it, I did it.

D
Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks tb,

I saw a tutor this past Wednesday, however some of the answers she gave me were wrong, but it's good that I was able to figure out that they were wrong. That's progress. I'm going to the math lab again on Monday and see if I can get some help with these linear equations with three variables, scientific notation and what not that I need to learn. I wonder if I'll ever use any of this information in the real world? Doesn't seem likely, but you never know. I think I'd walk away from anyone who brought up these subjects in the real world, cause I'd think they were a bit off in the head, lol.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,

Gonna close the books for tonight and hit them again, with lots of coffeee, in the morning. I ain't gonna quit, cause I'm too hardheaded, so I will have to keep plugging along till I figure it all out and can do this. (I hope my English 101 instructor is not a member here, lol.) Day 19, and not one drop of booze. That's really what's most important.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, FS, you haven't left the real world yet...

You probably won't use these equations... but knowing how to use them (and when it's appropriate, etc) is what you will use. Thumbs up for figuring out that the tutor was wrong.... Those are the real life skills. Algebra is just algebra, unless you're trying to get a BSci...

-TB, thinking that (a+30/c)/6sqrt-4 isn't a good topic to bring up at an alumni meeting...
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I wonder if I'll ever use any of this information in the real world?"

This is the real world, and it doesn't matter if you'll ever use it. You gotta take it now.

What helps me most in situtations like this is...

... do one thing at a time to the best of my ability, rather than doing many things at a time and failing at all of them.

One thought process at a time, one task at a time.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

By listening and following in the
footsteps of many before me that
have accomplished situations like
this one.

By doing the next best thing
if im not sure of what to do.

If i do one thing out of many
things on a list, then ive accom-
plished alot.

And for this alcoholic, that one
thing is progress for me.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Firestorm, (((Hugs)))

Remember one thing friend....YOU are a survivor!! Your doing amazing and wow! You found mistakes the instructor made - Awesome stuff! One day...you will look back on all this and smile.

Keep up the great work!

Love Pancake xo
Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

Drop a course? Take a part-time summer course next year to make up for it? Talk to a program counselor about it?

My four year program turned into a five year program. No shame in that! Just get 'er done.

The only other option I can think of is lots of coffee/all-nighters!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know, I said my piece earlier on this one.

But everytime I look at the Newcomers main page, this question pops out at me like it's in multicolored flashing lights or something.

Truth is, these days, most everything seems impossible. And not even because of the liquor--I'm dealing with a whole new world (college) that I don't fully understand. And what do I do?

Just jump in. Do what I'm supposed to, and make sure it's done before I focus on what I'm doing too much... because then I might hesitate, and if I hesitate, I might stumble and fall.

When I was younger and doing something entirely different than writing papers, we used to have a saying, "hesitation get you killed." Grammar aside, we meant it in a literal way--and nowadays I like to think of it in a figurative way.

Sometimes we don't want to do something we know we have to, or we're afraid to--those are the times we just have to rush in.

Of course, this doesn't apply to poor decisions--and that's what makes it so hard to know what to do when...

Life... fun times.

-TB, without a clue of how life is supposed to be lived but still breathing anyways

(sorry for the mini-hijack, FS, but you made such an intriguingly titled thread...)
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kez

hello firestorm,, I to am studying at university and i know what its like to get behind,, have you tried asking for extentions? that is the first thing i would do. Also if your tutor isnt working for you try another one, that you feel confident with,,,,,, I think its fantastic that its been 19+ days well done, you are getting through not drinking, so you can also get through this,,, just ask ask ask ask questions thats what I do till I get the answers I need.......
Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((firestorm))
Allow more time 4 the algerba, focus complete on this say an hour, then take a break 2 let it settle in your mind, then come back 2 it after, working in another area. (whatever other courses U R taking)
Studies show, after about an hour, U just can't retain another concept/ideal, so fill the mind with something else, try music, then come back 2 it later.
Stay strong, hang in there.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

fire, the only thing I do whatever the circumstance is just keep going and work harder if I have to. It can be exhausting but whatever it takes to get through it and not give up.

Good luck!!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Firestorm just stick with it, do not throw in the towel!

Sit down and focus on the task at hand, work on it until things begin to get confusing or really frustrating, put it aside with a set time to come back to it and come back to it!!!

Make sure you get as much rest as you can, eat!!!! If one is hungry thier mind is going to wonder, make sure you drink plenty of water and eat enough to keep away hunger, but not so much that you want to go to sleep...... but if you are tired you need to rest.

BTW congrats on the 19 days, staying sober will make all of this possible.

You have gotten some excellent advice as well on seeking an extension and switching tutors.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Keep in mind that many of us struggle w/Math. Drives me nuts...I do not use it in the form it was taught....few people do. Ick. I have no clue why colleges don't come up with a comprehensive math class that WILL be used. Just try and get through it....and move on.

Hang in there.....one moment at a time...you're doing Great!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the tips and suggestion, SR family.

I studied till 2am last night, was up at 5:15 and back at it by 5:30 this morning, and now I'm getting bug eyed and can't type worth a damn. Today is day 21 without any booze or drugs, cept coffee and smokes, and I'm doing better. I feel like the tortoise and the hare, I'm the tortoise, lol. But I'm still going, like an energizer bunny, I'm keeping at it.

I would like a different instructor, but it's too late in the semester to change, so I'll have to adapt to his lecture style, and just work my tail off. That's ok, seems I have much more time since I'm not nursing any hangovers, nor spending my time at the local watering holes like before. The fog is lifting more each day, which I hope continues, and if so, in a week or so I should be back on track.

No more xanax and booze for this guy, man that was tough stuff getting over. Now, I've just got to learn how to live sober, but I've got some time, so I'll have a go at it.

Thanks a bunch all.