Notices

new here

Old 09-19-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hi all! I'm new here. Not new to recovery. Been in and out of recovery since 1987. Longest time sober was 3 years once. 6 years ago I decided I was no longer going back to AA cuz I was tired of riding the revolving door so to speak.
They always said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It dawned on me that is exactly what I was doing so I gave up. I know that for sure is some stinking thinking but is what I did.
I do not want to drink anymore. Ive not had a drink since Sept. 2nd 2009
I have picked up cigerettes again after 6 years and could kick my butt for starting that up again but right now I'd rather be doing that than drinking. I do have hystory of addiction of drugs, sex, food, shopping and yes cigs too; seems I'm always replacing one for another.
On my own I can not get any length of sober time. I have attempted to go back to AA a few times this past year but really am hesitant.
I really am lost and hoping that coming here getting support can be a stepping on point here for new begining in recovery.
My husband does drink which has always been a struggel for me but I am determined that no matter what I can not let that affect me. I can not afford to continue to drink!!!!!!
Deffinately needing support here.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

newcomers in AA need to hear your experience so please go back and share your experience with them, not just for newcomers, for people who have been round awhile as well. together we can do what i alone could not do.

peace and fellowship to you. god bless
Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I do not want to drink anymore. Ive not had a drink since Sept. 2nd 2009..."

My own ES&H suggests that you cohort with the good people of AA until you are satisfied you can do it on your own.

There's no reason to do it on your own, except because your disease wants you to be alone (so it can bombard your mind with dumb thoughts )

So, in my opinion, staying sober might mean doing a few things we DO NOT want to do... becuase doing the stuff we have wanted to do, wasn't doing it.

Keep coming back.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I am so glad you found us.

I think that drinking/drugs or whatever is a symptom of the underlying issues. When I stopped drinking, I had no idea where to start either, but I knew that I had to find a purpose in my life. I also had to reconnect with my spiritual self, which had become completely lost. I hope you find lots of inspiration and information here.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

mima, welcome. I applaud what you are trying to do. Stick around and share often, there are a lot of kind, knowledgeable, and insightful people here.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome. Agree with Tommy as to working some kind of program. This sight is great and you will find a lot of great people and insights here. The Secular Section here and outside programs such as SMART have real live meetings with real live people who share you goals as well (some people get really freaked out about God, even though AA is flexible enough allow you to create you own). The thing that makes the most sense to me with AA (you should give it a shot again) is to find a good sponsor with some quality sobriety under their belt. The key I think is that for most of us, we need to reprogram our way of approaching life after we dry out for a while. The saying "fake it till you make it" is increasingly making some real sense to me this time. Best of luck. You will find a lot of great support here as well. Humbly on day 53.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

..hi 'mima'
..and welcome..be kind to yourself...recovery takes time and with a lot
of help from this site..you'll be fine..

..again...welcome..Oz..
Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mima

Welcome to ya.

This is a great site - full of support...it's especially good when our real life support might not be all we need..

I came here not knowing what to do, but knowing 15-20 years of addiction had to end...I found my way here - I hope you do too

D
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the same issue. I want to stop, do not know how, but 12-step programs seem to make it harder for me to stay clean. Three quarters of the times I have relapsed in the last four years have been immediately following a meeting.

I have a sponsor waiting for me to reach the fourth step so he can work with me....but it has been years now, and I doubt I will ever get step 2. I could lie and say I did, but faking it till I make it feels too dishonest. But until I get there I do not have the support of a sponsor.

I am posting here, hoping it helps me to stop from giving in to the cravings I have. I almost feeling like calling a friend, telling him that I am still having trouble with drugs and asking him to stay with me tonight. But anyone I talk to would be so disappointed in me.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi mima and miamifella,

Welcome to SR.

This site offers alot of support, so it helps to read and post often. I just finished my 19th day without a drink and don't want to drink tomorrow. That's why I come here. I go to AA meetings as well, but do not currently have a sponsor, I just show up, listen and learn what I can at each meeting. For me, a sponsor may come later, but for now, I'm just trying to get another day without a drink. I have to remind myself each morning that alcohol beat my butt, so I don't want to fight it anymore. I left the ring, bloodied, battered and with a terrible headache from the beating I took from that bottle of booze. I hope both of you stick around and also give AA a try again, just to hang out and learn from sober people. It helps just to relate and see others who haven't drank for many years, or just a couple months, they are still doing better at staying away from the sauce than I.

just don't quit trying.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome... if support is what you're looking for, you found it.

Miamifella, I can relate... Sometimes it seems that people expect this to be easy. It's not... You might slip and fall, Lord knows I have, but it's the keeping on trying part that matters in the end... You're doing it right.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

heya mima....
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR :day6