SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Update if you're interested (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/184611-update-if-youre-interested.html)

Jason R 09-17-2009 03:23 PM

Update if you're interested

Obviously I'm not a daily visitor. I figured I'd update for those that remember me or those that might be interested.
It is bitter sweet I guess.
I have really been trying to slow down my beer drinking.
I generally go through pretty much a 12 pack a day.
For a while I have been drinking a 12 pack and really not felling too much of a buzz.
Well, tonight I realized I have had my first realization that I may be making progress.
I am right now on about 6 and feeling kinda buzzed.
I guess that's good news??

Astro 09-17-2009 03:28 PM

It's good to see you here Jason, and since you're checking in it's a good sign that you're still at least curious about sobriety and recovery.

I tried moderation for years, smaller quantities, NA beer, tried different brands, etc. Each time I got the same results, because alcoholism is progressive, it just continues to escalate and get worse. I'd slow down for awhile, then I'd build back up until I was drinking more than I previously had.

I just can't safely drink again. No if's, and's, or but's about it.

smacked 09-17-2009 03:31 PM

Well..is the good news that you're buzzed, or that you're stopping at 6 instead of 12? :) I'm no doctor, but I know along the way of my drinking, my body became less and less effective at processing the alcohol I was drinking, and I actually got drunk faster with less alcohol towards the end of it. I was killing myself, and drunk me didn't even think about it. My body wasn't functioning right. My doc let me know I was pretty lucky that I stopped before my body decided to stop for me.

Welcome back either way. Be safe!

Anna 09-17-2009 03:42 PM

I'm glad to see you back Jason, and I'm glad you're drinking less.

I'm with Smacked though, and found that it took less and less alcohol to get drunk as my addiction continued.

Dee74 09-17-2009 03:50 PM

that was my experience too Jason - it took less and less to get be drunk...
I am glad to see you back tho.

D

Jason R 09-17-2009 04:51 PM

Not sure if that is good or bad news. I definitely have not had the less and less to get drunk affect yet. Actually the opposite. I was concerned because the opposite was happening. The more I'd drink I'd feel pretty much nothing. I have even went to the doctor and had him check my liver (kinda) hoping my enzymes were high. Nope, he said I was just fine. Again, good news. I have been really trying to slow down. I have been making more appointments and making myself busy to keep myself from drinking. Well, it has been working. I'm definitely not drinking as much and have finally succeeded at not drinking every day (soly because I have kept myself busy).
I hope that my slowing down now will possibly help me to stop.

Jason R 09-17-2009 04:57 PM

One more thing.
Smacked,
The good news is not that I've been getting buzzed on the amount. I thought it was good that I have been drinking far less and feeling something. My thinking is that maybe my body is possibly getting rid of some of this crap and reacting to the addition to it.

Jason R 09-25-2009 04:36 PM

Still trying to make progress. Down to 3 to 6 every day.