Notices

Does any know...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

In early sobriety I counted every day. I felt like I was finally crawling out of the hole and towards a better life. I felt so proud of each day I could keep my act together. Around 3/4 months, I started counting months. I was still proud, but confident that I was not going to drink. Now, at 1 year, 3 months, I actually had to count how many months over a year I am.

I don't drink. I'm not going to drink. I don't want to drink. And, that feels Great!

Interesting thread. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi all,

My sobriety date is September 1, 2009, that's seventeen days ago. For me, the first 10-12 days, the only thing that kept me going was to make it one more day, just one more day, and that's still true today for me. I need something to be proud of, and not drinking is all that matters right now, so I count, sometimes by the hour.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi,
I've never posted here before but it has been an invaluable resource. I'm aware this thread is old but this is something that, for myself at least, I can answer quite certainly. I'm not a member of a 12 step or rehab program, but I'm a cocaine addict with 167 days clean and sober today, and counting days has been crucial to my 'sober mindset' if you will, for one simple reason. It's quantifiable, tangible measurable progress. I lift weights (the structure and discipline of which has also been invaluable and I'm lifting more seriously than ever), and being able to measure and chart progress in a concrete, quantifiable manner is what keeps me motivated. For example I can say to myself "On the March 1st I lifted 300lbs, now on April 1st I got 315 - Gettin' stronger"
When I'm really struggling with my sobriety, and that little voice (that I'm sure we all have) just won't quit that day with the whole "You can have one beer without doing coke" routine, and all the common sense and reasons for sobriety seem to have fled for the time being, I can still always say "but you have one HUNDRED and SIXTY-SEVEN days! Are you really gonna throw that away and reset to ZERO for the sake of ONE beer??"
Sure it's a cheap bit of self psychology but it really works for me. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway thank you everybody for sharing your stories and experiences, you are all, to a man and woman, a great source of strength and encouragement.

Kerrigan xx
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I've never really counted, but always had a rough idea. Besides, I always kept diaries so could check if I really wanted to know.xx