Notices

Opiate Withdrawal

Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate Withdrawal

Where do I find the support on this site for opiate withdrawal? I was reading some stuff and then I signed up and I cannot find it again. 9/2 was at 180 mg of 30 and 15 oxy, and 10 mg hydrocodone. 9/16 was at 90 15 oxy and 10 mg hydrocodone. Need to be done with it all and out of my system by 9/30 for a drug test. Been using in different amounts for a year now. Been clean from all other substances since 1993. Started the opiates because of ligit pain management, and of course it got out of hand. Did not go to any scheduled Dr. appts this past week because I do not want anymore opiates. I have some to wean down, please advise. wanttobefree2
Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

There will likely be some people along soon who can help you.

We also have a Substance Abuse forum on the boards which you can check out if you like.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i have been in the same place as you and struggled with the opiates for years. I too had legit pain and 5 surgeries, but i used them out of control and ended up taking 40 norcos a day and then snorting the oxy's. I then went to smoking heroin and so on. My point is that ive been there and you need to definetly wean yourself down if possible. I was never able to control them myself so maybe if you cant, is there someone who can help give you controlled amounts? I just know for me that the withdrawls were so painful and i had my grandma there for me since she is a nurse. It can really be dangerous to detox on your own, plus after that i went to a treatment center and have been sober and clean for almost 18 months. It can be done, try being honest with your doctors and get them to help you get off of these horrrible damn drugs. Hang in there.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi wanttobefree. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

It looks like you're doing a really swift taper. I would advise you to make another appointment with your doctor and be completely honest about your opiate use. Your doctor will be able to work with you to create a safe reduction plan. Opiates will be detectable via a urine test in your system 2-5 days after stopping, this is something to keep in mind.

Would it be possible to work on a more realistic taper time with your doctor and obtain a medical certificate for the drug test?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Box, wantto.

I'm not a fan of do it yourself tapers - I did enough self doctoring in my active addiction - I leave it to the professionals now.

It's always best to see a doctor. If you're not satisfied with your current doctors for any reason find a new one.

btw, the forum Anna mentioned is here
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I wish you well
D
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The crazy thing is that I do go to NA meetings and have been clean from everything else since 1993. The opiates only really the last year due to pain. I have spend a lot of money on an education and have worked in the field of addiction. The past couple of years has been in education. I have been offered a great job again in the addiction field and know I am qualified and can do the job, I mandate myself to be off the opiates because it wouldn't be fair to the job to lie about that or try to work there with opiates in my system. I kick myself in the but for getting here, when I "should have known better" The safest way to ensure to have the drugs out of my system is to be drug free by the 24th since the drug test I have to take is the 30th. Yesterday was 90mg, today I anticipate 75mg with mild withdrawal symptoms. Pray for me, this is so important, I know I can do it, I pray and hope I can do it. Something I have been thinking about is going to talk to my primary care Dr., getting honest with him and asking for help. I will try to use this site to help me, thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hey, wanttobefree. I agree 100% with you about talking and being honest with your primary care doctor.

Just something to think about, would you recommend such a quick reduction to a client?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you, I do not know what to expect, because I have never been through it before. I am trying to be hopeful in that the money I have spent and have in debt to build a career for myself and the life I have had since 1993 will help me get through the suffering that will come along with the withdrawals. I really just want this **** out of my system and I want my life back...........................
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, so much. I did go talk with my primary doc, who is new to me by only about three months. He was totally supportive. He gave some suggestions and shared his concerns about too fast of a tapper off, but also understood the dilemma due to the drug test I am scheduled to take on Sept. 30th. He gave me a couple of prescriptions to help make the withdrawal a little less severe. Today so far I only took 35mg of the opiates, 9/2 I was at 180 mg. I am scared and feel real alone, but I am determined to do this and get my life back.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Help

I am trying to connect with people on this site for support and experience and seem to be having a real hard time negotiating my way through the site to find the support I need. Does anyone have any suggestions. Im really trying here and have significantly reduced my opiate use from 180mg 9/2 to so far today only 35mg. Im scared and feel all alone.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

You are definitely not alone.

If you want to use the Substance Abuse forum just click here,

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

but there are people in this forum (Newcomers forum) who can also offer advice.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hi wanttobefree,

You're not alone. I'm so pleased you spoke to your doctor. Anxiety is normal when you're detoxing. Stay hydrated, take the medication your doctor prescribed, have lots of warm baths or showers, try to eat (soup and toast may help). If at anytime the physical or anxiety symptoms become too much, please contact your doctor. Keep posting, keep reading. *hugs*
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will. I just cant believe I am here and how I got here. Im scared, but I am doing it. wanttobefree2
Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hypercube

It's normal to be scared, but please don't beat yourself up right now. Save the analysing for after you're through the acute withdrawal stage. I would strongly urge you to see if you can organise a phone appointment with your doctor for Thurs 24 or Fri 25, just to check in and to assuage your anxiety. If this isn't possible, can someone come and stay with you during this time?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

DO NOT doctor shop after you tell your doc you're addicted to the pks. Be honest- it'll help you out tremendously.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The doc would be very supportive and I know I can call him or go see him if I need to. He wants a follow up after a month anyway. I am a little nervous because I am a little behind on my tapper and still feel lousy. 9/2 was 180mg, 9/16 was 90mg, 9/17 was 75mg, 9/18 was 70mg, 9/19 was 60mg, 9/20 was 55mg, 9/21 was 45mg, 9/22 so far 20mg. The doctor recommended having everything out of my system at least 5-7 days before the test, especially since I have had the opiates in my system in one form or another for a year now. I did take a hot bath last night and that was helpful. Im just grateful that I really do not have anywhere major I need to be until Sat. Do you guys have any suggestions of once all this is out of my system some things I can do to continue to cleanse my system to ensure a negative urine drug screen? Know this, regardless of the discomfort, the opiates are coming out of my system. I have been in withdrawal for 2-3 days now as I tapper and I suspect it is only going to get worse. Thanks for all your support and input.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree and thank you. I had three doctor appointments last week that I did not go to. One of my fears with my life and my work/career is getting in trouble with the law but not having any control to stop myself.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I really do appreciate your input. I am new to computers and really struggling with learning how to negotiate this site. I find the feedback and support from people helpful, so thanks, I do not know how to get to folks especially if they say something or provide some real help. I feel like I am a little behind, but today I am down to 30mg. The meds the doc gave me are helping with the withdrawal, but believe me, as you know, I am still feeling it. I have taken a few hot hot baths already and they have helped. Please reply if you see this and let me know how we can stay connected while I go through this. Thanks, wanttobefree
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
hypercube

Hello, I hope you're holding up OK?

It's been 10 years since I successfully withdrew from methadone (never got a chance with the morphine) and yeah, baths were really helpful. They were the one thing that helped relieve that dog-awful hot/cold prickly sore skin feeling.

51Anna has posted this above, but again here is the link to the Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse forum. I think if you were to post there you might connect with more people who understand what you're going through.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttobefree2 View Post
Where do I find the support on this site for opiate withdrawal? I was reading some stuff and then I signed up and I cannot find it again. 9/2 was at 180 mg of 30 and 15 oxy, and 10 mg hydrocodone. 9/16 was at 90 15 oxy and 10 mg hydrocodone. Need to be done with it all and out of my system by 9/30 for a drug test. Been using in different amounts for a year now. Been clean from all other substances since 1993. Started the opiates because of ligit pain management, and of course it got out of hand. Did not go to any scheduled Dr. appts this past week because I do not want anymore opiates. I have some to wean down, please advise. wanttobefree2
Welcome to Florida, when it comes to all the crooked docs is just wrong, and this place is just flooded with that stuff. Roxy, Oxy, Doc shopping...