Notices

9 months sober, Doctor put me on Anti- Depressants

Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 9 months sober, Doctor put me on Anti- Depressants

Hello, new to forum. I went to see my shrink yesterday because this past month I was having bouts of deep depression that would come and go. I started to wake up 2 0r 3 hrs before I had to go to work and couldn't go back to sleep, I have been having a hard time consentrating at work also. I asked my doctor if maybe I maybe going through PAW, Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms, but he said since I have been clean over 9 months I should be over that. He decided to put me on Effexor XR. Not sure what to expect, I never been on any anti-depression medication before. I never needed any meds because before I was self medicating on alcohol for years, when you take that away now I have to learn how to face life as it comes. Like my sponser tells me , what does SOBER stand for, " Son of a bitch everything is real" I lately have been depressed, dealing with an unhappy 16 year marriage, contemplating Divorce. I have over 9 months of sobriety, I do not want to go back to where I was when I was drinking, theres no future, I fear I will loose everything. Just struggling a little bit with depression, hopefully I will take my doctors advice and start on taking Effexor. He said that it will take a couple of weeks to set in. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Jeff
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I am glad that you are taking your drs advice and giving the antidepressant a try. I hope you will get good results and remember that sometimes the medication or the dosage won't work well for you. I tried Effexor first and had bad side-effects with jumpy legs at night time, so tried Paxil and then settled on amitriptyline which has worked well for years.

I, too was using alcohol to self-medicate when I could no longer manage to deal with depression/anxiety. I am grateful for the medication because for me, it helps to level the playing field. I still have bad days, but I know now, that they will not last. They don't grip me, and pull me down.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff, it's nice to see you posting in the forums

I agree with Anna, my own experience was very similar: using alcohol to self-medicate depression, anxiety and other issues... and then having the addiction turn into a huge problem in its own right.

Taking medication is a personal decision - it's up to you and your doctor. I personally regard them as tools that aid my recovery. In my experience, they are not a cure-all, but they do help.

Regarding Effexor: if you decide to take it, it may help you a lot, or maybe you'll need to switch to something else. Unfortunately there's no way to know beforehand, it's trial and error. My own advice is to avoid reading (horror) stories online, and to try the med with an open mind

Good luck, keep us posted!

btw, congrats on 9 months! =)
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Greetings, Jeff.

You are not alone in what you are going through. I have been on medication for anxiety and depression for about four years now. When you find a med that works, it can truly be life-changing. Not a magic happy pill, mind you, but it sort of puts a "floor" under you so that you don't sink too low, and can concentrate on working on other areas of your life.

I'm on Pristiq, son of Effexor, starting today. It is my fourth med in a little over four months. Lexapro crapped out on me after four years, Zoloft was a bust, and Cymbalta worked great, until I relapsed after 3 months of not drinking. My anxiety came back in spades. This is but one of the reasons that it is not advisable to drink at all while on psych meds. You have 9 months in, so while you're ramping up on the meds, please continue to pay close attention to your recovery as well, OK?

Just to warn you, things may get a little worse, or stay the same, before they get better. These types of drugs can take any where from 1-8 weeks to become effective, and may require periodic dosage adjustments after that. Or, as in my experience, you may just need to experiment a little before finding what med works for you.

None of this is meant to alarm you, but rather to encourage you that there may be some good help out there, even if you don't find it immediately. Please keep in close contact with your doctor throughout the process, and post back often to let us know how you're doing.

Be well!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome Jeff!
I suffer from depression and anxiety myself... it's a horrible feeling so I know where you're coming from. I've never been on Effexor but I've heard it's supposed to be very powerful, which probably means more side effects. I've tried both Celexa and Prozac and found Prozac to be the mildest with fewest side effects. I'm off it now but it REALLY helped me. The main deterrents (for me) are some weight gain and decreased sex drive. But, 100% better than drinking!

ETA: Celexa actually worked great for me, but I had this really rare side effect of a chronic cough that I (and anyone sleeping near me) couldn't handle, which is why I switched to Prozac. That side effect is pretty rare, though.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hey if you have been sober for 9 months and are working a program you should follow what your doctor suggest. The only thing I will add to that is let your doctor know how the meds are helping, ADs are funny things, your doc may need to adjust the dosage or put you on something else.

One more thing, if you start getting the urge to take more then subscribed call your doctor first and your sponsor second!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Forgot to mention...I second mattcake's advice about immersing yourself in Effexor horror stories on internet forums. I have to remind myself of this when starting out a new med.

But generally, people who are satisfied with any given antidepressant don't post their satisfaction as often...they're too busy out there reclaiming their lives!

Hang in there!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff - let me give you another angle:

I sobered up in 2001. Between 9 months and a year into sobriety, I too began to get depressed, and I had anxiety, and insomnia to boot. I thought I was going nuts; or rather, I thought I was nuts, either from all the years of drinking or maybe was nuts before and that was what I was drinking over for 24 years.

The shrink knew I was in early recovery, but obviously didn't know what that really meant. I was diagnosed with OCD, anxiety, and insomnia, gave me an antidepressant and a sleep aid.

They worked, so I stayed on them for 5 years. They stopped working, and began turning against me. Instead of relieving symptoms, they were bringing them on with a vengeance. I had to abruptly jump off the meds.

It's now 13 months later. I am still in a protracted withdrawal state BUT -

I worked the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous out of the Big Book. I had a spiritual experience sufficient to overcome alcoholism.

Here's the kicker - I was never OCD, anxiety-ridden, or in any way a mental defective. The shrinks diagnosis was completely wrong.

Turns out I was suffering from untreated alcoholism in 2003. I was a drunk who wasn't drinking.

Today I don't need any meds. I treat my disease with the 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous. Before I worked the steps, I was a drunk not drinking. A drunk not drinking is way worse than a drunk drinking. It's been that way forever - which is why so many of us relapse. We have to get our comfort and there's only two things in the universe that will treat alcoholism - the steps, and alcohol.

Choose one. Those antidepressants were just a band aid for me.

Work all 12 steps and then see if you need antidepressants. You may find you don't, and can save yourself a lot of pain later.

This post is meant only to help. Anyone who wants to flail me for even suggesting that A'Ds aren't the answer for people in recovery can do so, I could care less.

My question to them is - if this was 50 years ago how would you treat your depression? Diet and exercise. How do we treat our alcoholism? The 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you can see Jeff - a wide range of experience here.

I tend to think the only experience that counts is your own, and your doctors.
Let AA help with your alcoholism, and let a competent medical professional help with your depression

D
Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. Thanks for your advice, support, and experiences.

Jeff