Notices

passed 2 major test this weekend

Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

passed 2 major test this weekend

they were major for me anyhoo....

today is only day 7 for me. i've quit 2 times in the past year and a half, once for 3 months and another time for 2 months. both times i thought i could return to moderate drinking. i was wrong and this time will try to never drink again as i know what level it leads to and that is way too much vodka every day.

i was worried going into the weekend because i was facing 2 major triggers. friday night at home was always a relief because i could drink as much as i wanted and not have to drag into work 'toxic' the next morning. i coach baseball so it ate up my friday night until 8 pm so it really wasn't as hard as if i had just left work and went home to the sunken spot in my sofa where i drink and pass out.

major test number 2. i live in the south...and our local university had a football game this weekend. this will mean nothing to some of you folks but 'tailgating' is a time honored tradition for football. set up on campus and start drinking in the am and drink all day.

i pursposely did not arrive into the tailgating area until 5:15 for a 6:30 game. ran into my drinking friends who were obviously buzzing but none of them knee walking drunk yet. fortunately nobody offered me anything. i don't think i would have had any as i didn't really desire the drink as much as i wanted to respond to the trigger.

i spent the game with some friends and must tell you that it was awesome to be able to watch the game and actually see details and remember it all the next day. i can't tell you how many games i've gone to and didn't remember anything about them the next day.

it was great walking 10 minutes to my car and get behind the wheel and have absolulutely no worries about being pulled over. mind you, in the past i always felt like i was fine to get behind the wheel and never had a wreck or got pulled over but i doubt i could have passed a breathalyzer.

i know it's only 7 days but i have made it through those first few truly miserable ones where i had physical withdrawals. now is time to keep putting x's on the calendar. thanks for everyone's positive attitude here at s.r.

i couldn't have done it without you.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the first 7 days & making it through the game
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Wow, Fallen, that's a lot of temptation to withstand with seven days (& congratulations on those, too).

And now, comes the better part, after the worst of the withdrawals...

You tried to drink moderately twice, that didn't work out so good either time, good that you remembered that--don't forget it...

Take care now,
-TB, impressed
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You passed those tests with flying colors.

I too live in the south (originally from NY), and was amazed when I moved here how BIG college football is. It is a religious experience here. Way to go.

\
Old 09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do prefer watching football sober....it's great to remember
who won and now.... I totally agree.

You proved you can quit from your past sober time
Do you have a plan for your new start?

Good to see you here with us...