Notices

Need DWI arrest advice

Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need DWI arrest advice

Hi all I've been in and out of this forum for a little while. Last night I was arrested for Aggravated DWI, my 14 year old son was in the car. I am married and my wife is being so loving and assuring me we will get through it. I am so scred...What have been some of your experiences in dealing with 1st offense DWI?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

In Delaware, they called me a "First Time Offender" so I got off rather light. I had to attend counseling sessions ($600.00 back then) & a certain number of AA meetings. I was very remorseful when I faced the judge - told him I planned to go to re-hab, etc. I remember how terrifying it was. Unfortunately, that was not the end of it for me. I kept going. Please don't let that happen to you.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest a competent lawyer and a willingness to correct whatever circumstances led you to driving drunk with your child in the car.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

California, also aggravated (more than 2x the limit), 9 months alcohol classes / counseling, 10 AA meetings, 31 days jail/ community service, about $500 in fines. Pleading guilty helped, when I go to court I see those who try to fight it end up with a lot more. I was guilty, so I guess I looked remorseful. Sure felt it, never meant to do that.

-TB...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

First offense DWI in North Carolina at .16, for me, involved:

-Four month jail sentence, which was suspended pending successful completion of probation;
-30 months of unsupervised probation, no probation officer to report to, but any further trouble with the law would have sent me to jail for the four months;
-Mandatory completion of a drug and alcohol assessment;
-Compliance with the treatment option specified by the assessor, at my own expense - for me, this was a minimum of 30 hours of one-on-one and group sessions over a period of not less than three months;
-$345 fine;
-License revocations of 30 days after the initial arrest, and one year after conviction;
-$750 for a lawyer just to appear on my behalf and plead me guilty;
-A hefty dose of self-loathing and embarrassment in front of my friends, family, and employer;
-Having to live with the knowledge that I could have killed my father, who was in the car with me at the time.

Your circumstances are somewhat different, though. First offense or not, having a minor child in the car is something the courts are going to take very seriously. You may be looking at a short stay in jail.

At the risk of sounding preachy - I have absolutely no right to judge you - please use this opportunity to learn and get help. A young son needs to be able to look up to his father. It's not easy to learn how to be a real man without a good role model. I should know. Plus, you may not be so lucky next time.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to SR Beligerent

I have no advice - but pls make last night the last DWI - you're not only risking your own life, but other lives as well....and whatever way you slice it, that's not cool.

D
Old 09-13-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The experience I encounter all too frequently is when the person who got the DUI talks about what they'll do "next time" they possibly get pulled over for DUI.

(Refuse the breath test, always carry a bottle of liquor in the car and visibly take a big drinking after pulling over, run from the cops, etc.)

Rarely do I ever encounter someone who says, "I've got a real problem if I risked not only my own life, but the life of a family member, and even other people in society..."

Beligerent, I'm glad you are still alive, I'm glad your son is still alive, I'm glad those innocent drivers who shared the road with you are still alive.

Keep coming back.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry you are going through this and I hope you will do whatever it takes to not have it happen again.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please be careful going forward. Personally, I would not deal with this without the advice of an attorney.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

What's your drinking history like? Are you trying to slide by or, are you manning up?

First Drunk Driving Conviction

The first time you receive a drunk driving conviction in New Hampshire you will receive a fine up to $500. You will also have your license suspended for a period of 9 months up to 2 years. To get your drivers license back after the suspension you will need to attend and complete an impaired driver intervention program at your own expense. The court may also order a drug and or alcohol treatment program and may require the convicted driver to submit random urinalysis or other tests that the court deems appropriate.

I would hire an attorney
Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here in the fine state of Arizona is damm tough. I have had 2 DUI's in a span of 10+ years.
Both BAL were below the legal limit, but so what, I was under the influence. Never had a child in the car or even an accident.
MY last DUI was over 6+ years and cost me way 2 much after hiring a lawyer, adding cost of fine, alcohol classes, etc. Did not win and big mistake to hire a lawyer, since here, U R guilty, since U admitted that U had a drink, (I had 3.) That was my bottom, NO more yets 4 me.
Was sober 4 greater than 5 years, had a small relapse, now starting all over again and happy about it. Anything is better than 2 drink. Same problems, same life when sober, I do not need 2 mix alcohol into the equation. I can not drink, I do not want 2 go back there, sad, loney, feeling sorry 4 myself place.
Stay stong, suck it up and admit U were guilty, start rehab now, before court, it will look better 4 U.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ago

I found it helpful to quit drinking

(a) had 30 signatures on an AA slip when I got to court
(b) didn't needlessly endanger other peoples lives any more, including my own families

You did the crime, now you are going to do the time, and with child endangerment you ARE going to do some time, maybe some serious time, up to six months I think depending on what the judge thinks of you and what kind of mood he;s in, truthfully you got lucky, you didn't kill anyone, I used my DUI as the moment I got sober, what are you gonna do?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never had a DUI but my boyfriend is still dealing with the aftermath of his first offense about a year ago. The legal stuff has been a pain in the ass, but bearable. Obviously I don't need to advise you to refrain from drinking and driving again; what I would suggest is to take care of yourself and try not to freak out too much. What's done is done. You can handle whatever happens if you focus on your sanity and serenity. Pray, meditate, go to lots of AA meetings if they're your thing (or even if they're not), and definitely get some competent legal assistance. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had my first DWI last fall. I know how scarey it is. I know in MN if you have a minor in the car it goes to the next level. I also had the gross mis because of what I blew.
I actually just took the public defender on the advise of my uncle who is a cop for that county. the judge/public defender/prosecutor all knew eachother & worked with me. I did have to do 2 days in jail, & 2 days in the Alcohol awareness classed, and MADD class. But they kept my fines pretty low.

I am so glad your wife is standing by you, that will make all the difference!

All the best.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had DWI in New Hampshire last December. (Yes, it was my wake-up call and was my last drop of alcohol - 9 months today !)
Did they increase it to "Aggravated" level because your son was in the car ? That complicates it. Yes - get a lawyer to guide you through the process.

From what I saw in NH court - most of the first offenses were settled as 9 month suspension, BUT reduced to only 90 day actual loss of license as long as you enrolled in the IDIP (Impaired Driver education class) within a certain number of days, etc.

Cost of lawyer - $ 2,000
Court fine - $600 something
Loss of license - 90 days
Gifts to friends who gave me rides - $...
Getting Sober - PRICELESS !

I did the first six months on my own, but then realized that I needed support so have been getting involved in AA over the last 3 months and feel so much better !

I'm in southern NH, get in touch if I can help.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Apparently you are aware you have a problem you said you been commin around here for awhile . Admitting you have a problem is the first of the most important steps to getting on the right path of recovery , It is how ever all up to you to apply the tools toy uor own selfs recv .
I thought I learned my 1st attempt least I had full intenetions of doing the " control " drinking situation .. well that sure didnt work ...was nailed 2nd time in lil over 6 months from the first one . had my 1st class the very next day and still have that papaer in which the question was " what have you learned from this " my reply was .. I guess I didnt learn a damm thing " It dont matter what the fines jail etc are Admitting you were wrong and takin the punishment for you actions helps you learn a valuable lesson , After all you could of killed someone very dear to you , or to another . If you want what we got the question is What are YOU willing to do so that It stops ?