Notices

Slipped again

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped again

Why can't I do this? I went out with an old friend last night, and sure enough, one drink turned into one dozen. I blacked out. I don't remember getting home, when apparently I drove. I've got a huge scratch down my arm from falling against something. Here we go again. I was doing so well, and I'm back to square one. I hate this. I hate myself when I do this.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Don't know, Priss, 'else I wouldn't keep doing it myself.

Hating yourself doesn't take you anywhere you want to be. Might as well just dust off and start again... You're not the first to fall off and come back.

And, hey, you got a huge scratch for a reminder for a while what it was like...

TB
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My one drinks always turned into a dozen too, Priss. That's why I had to stop all together - in the end, it was never predictable. I wasted years on trial and error - thinking willpower alone would do it for me. It never worked even once. It's terrifying to realize you've driven home and don't even remember it. Please try again, Priss.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery involves a lot of changes and hard decisions.

For me, I had to stay away from certain people and places, and I was not able to be around people who were drinking.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Early recovery involves a lot of changes and hard decisions.

For me, I had to stay away from certain people and places, and I was not able to be around people who were drinking.
This is SO true. Its my husbands B-Day today. There were people from his work bringing him to a near by bar. I agreed to going weeks ago, before I decided to get help. I had to tell him sorry I can't go, Im not strong enough.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you recognizing that you didn't need to go to the bar for your husbands B'day.

What were you doing to remain sober before this?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there Priss,

it's a hard demon to battle. Don't beat yourself up about it. Get back on track and focus on your goals, on the life you want, and on the things you want for yourself.

There is amazing support here....come post and read and remember this feeling you have right now and every time you think of picking up remember this. What it's like to drive home without remembering and putting all those lives, including your own, in danger. The scratches and bruises that you don't know how you got.

Chin up and carry on!!! =)

HUGS,
Reb
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Priss, it sucks.. I know. What's your plan to stay sober now?

If you don't, please stop driving drunk.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took me a couple of times to get it through my head that:
1. Drinking ANY amount is a bad idea for me, and
2. There's a huge difference between "stopping" and "recovering."
It's tough to be in a familiar situation like that, don't be so hard on yourself Priss - just learn from it and move on. Figuring out #2 really put everything in to perspective and made it easier to handle situations like you were in. Don't give up, you can do it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've tried AA meetings in the past, but I don't really like them all that much. I mean, I know they work for some people, unfortunately I don't seem to be one of them. I've got a couple of friends that don't drink. I guess I'll look to them for support. I don't know. I feel so hopeless.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Priss,

I don't work AA, I am doing this on my own as well. Going to your friends for support is a great idea. What about counseling or therapy of some sort. I am seeing an addiction counselor that is working wonders for me. There are also a lot of other methods that have worked for others. It's NOT hopeless and your NOT hopeless. These feelings will pass....look at some other options....and keep posting =)
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Priss,

I don't think anyone is hopeless till they stop trying. Posting here means you're still trying, so lean on this bunch till your hope rebounds. Day 2, it gets better, day three, a little more...you get the picture. I'm on day ten and don't feel so hopeless, but I've been there before, thanks to alcohol. Funny, I never really feel hopeless when I haven't drank for awhile, in fact not drinking makes me feel great, then I go out thinking I can handle it again. Never works for me.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR Priss

No lecture but leave the car kes at home if drinking
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Priss.

I used to think that when I quit drinking that I was recovered and I never had to worry about going back to that life. How foolish it was for me to think that I could somehow just be recovered and never have to worry again. Foolish because that way of thinking just doesn't jive with how my alcoholism geared mind works. When I drink, something different happens where I just don't want to stop. I could get into all the scientific mumbo jumbo about it but that's something you can do for yourself. Assuming you haven't already done this I recommend you read two very important books. They are Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence. Those two books will give you much insight into alcoholism.

I started this with saying that it was foolish for me to think that when I stopped drinking that I was recovered. I have come to the realization that recovery for me is a lifelong endeavor. I can never stop recovering. The day I begin to think that I can handle just one drink is the day that I stop recovering and start falling back into active addiction.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know everyone is concerned about my driving, and believe me, no one feels worse about it than I do. I'm really not a horrible person. It's not like I thought "Let's see how many lives I can risk tonight". You just don't think when you're drinking. It's not an excuse, it's the truth. I know better. Enough judgment.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by Priss View Post
I know everyone is concerned about my driving, and believe me, no one feels worse about it than I do. I'm really not a horrible person. It's not like I thought "Let's see how many lives I can risk tonight". You just don't think when you're drinking. It's not an excuse, it's the truth. I know better. Enough judgment.
One of many reasons why I don't drink anymore.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Priss...

No judgement here. You aren't a horrible person...I didn't see that anyone said you were. You are like so many of us here, dealing with an alcohol problem.

You reached out your hand for some help...and we are trying to grab a hold of it.

The first step besides you admit you have a problem, is to quit drinking.

We can share what has helped us on the path of recovery.

If you are ready and willing to accept the help.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice here Priss
Nothing changes if nothing changes, y'know?

Good to have you on the right path again
D
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back.. I don't see any judgement here either, I don't think you'll find support for driving drunk here (or anywhere!).. I'll add my vote to the 'stop drinking and driving' opinion as well.

You never have to worry about this stuff again, if you choose.

Glad you reached out.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm not asking for support for Drinking & Driving. I'm an addict, not an idiot.