Notices

Again

Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Again

Hello Everyone,

I am new to SR. I had 6 months of sobriety and started drinking again last week. I stopped yesterday. The last 2 weeks I stopped going to meetings and then picked up. I went back to my first meeting yesterday, I am going to an AA meeting this evening. I got a new sponsor. She is on vacation until Thursday, then we can do some work. My 1st sponsor and I did get any work done, I wanted to start step work, but she didn't feel we should start until after a year. I am feeling very anxious and trying not to get into a depression. A little disappointed in myself for picking up, actually very disappointed but I can't change it. Trying to go forward.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome SoberPJ. This is a really supportive place - good luck with your new sponsor.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by SoberPJ View Post
A little disappointed in myself for picking up, actually very disappointed but I can't change it. Trying to go forward.
We never shoot our wounded PJ, there's always a seat waiting for you in recovery if you have the desire. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I think it's understandable that you feel anxious and somewhat depressed, but you're moving forward with your recovery and that's great!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I had a simalar experience, I quit in November, and about May Started up to almost a daily drinker. I'm on day 2, but my parents stopped over today saying they were taking me to the hospital if I didn't get help somewhere!

I agreed to see a therapist. She made the appointment. Last couple days have sucked with .

Good lluck to you!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberPJ View Post
I wanted to start step work, but she didn't feel we should start until after a year.
Good for you, bad for her. This is lousy sponsorship, pure and simple. In order to recover from alcoholism, the first one hundred (75) alcoholics whose experience is contained in the Big Book, had to take the 12 steps. Why anyone would suggest waiting a year to take those steps is beyond me, but I hear ideas like this being tossed about in AA.

We don't recover and then take the steps. We take the steps in order to recover. The most uncomfortable time for most alcoholics is in between quitting drinking (lost the old solution to life) and getting some relief from the steps (gaining new solution).

People like that have no business sponsoring others in AA. They might be a good friend or good support, but they've obviously missed some fundamental concepts of what AA is.

I'm glad you are on a better track. Always, if what your sponsor is telling you can't be reconciled with the Big Book, it needs questioned if not outright rejected. And if the meetings support that wait a year concept, then find other meetings where the experience is consistent with the book.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SoberPJ you will find a lot of support here.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome SoberPJ & ToABetterMe. I once had 3 yrs. & picked up again for no good reason. Off to the races for 7 more horrific years. I'm doing great now, though - stumbled on SR 2 yrs. ago and it has made all the difference. Not feeling alone, having people to relate to, is huge. I didn't have that in my life at all - just judgmental people telling me to "just say no". No one got it. You are both here, ready for a change in your life - be proud, not down on yourselves. It's the disappointment you felt that led you here, so it served a purpose - now you're even more ready to take on this disease. Onward you go....
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello & welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Yesterday is history and tommorow is a mystery

Start fresh and keep starting fresh every day and we'll go a long way.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SoberPJ - yeah we can;t change the past, but we can make our future - you've got 6 months under your belt - it's great to see you're back on track

Welcome to you too ToABetterMe11 - this place is wonderful support. It saved my life

Hope to see you both around some more
D
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome to SR to you both

for choosing a cool place for support.